Poll: Do you buy cage eggs?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Hunter65416 said:
I dont and I will happily lecture people who do about it..come on..Its not like eggs are an expensive product anyway
I usually get eggs from a local farmer our family is friends with. All his stuff is free range, the damn things have more land than we do. :|

The best thing is when he comes round with a dozen that have been laid that morning, and they are still warm. You know they are fresh then.

bobajob

Jun 24, 2011
I get the ethics of it all, but here in the UK they cost like 3 times as much; Plus we likes us some eggs in our family.

Put it this way, would you buy a game on sale for £15 on Steam, or go for the exact same one for £45 at Origin "because sales cheapen intellectual property?"

Thought so.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Someone in my house hold gets eggs directly from a farmer and I get eggs from the store. Probably caged, honestly I don't care enough. By avoiding purchases your just adding to their suffering by putting it all in vain when their eggs go to waste.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
bobajob said:
I get the ethics of it all, but here in the UK they cost like 3 times as much; Plus we likes us some eggs in our family.

Put it this way, would you buy a game on sale for £15 on Steam, or go for the exact same one for £45 at Origin "because sales cheapen intellectual property?"

Thought so.
That's a stupid analogy. The two things aren't remotely comparable. It's more like asking if you would pay three times the price for a pair of shoes because they weren't made in a sweatshop by ten year olds working 12 hour days. Hell, some people don't care and no one can make them care, but don't trivialise suffering by comparing it to intellectual property. Don't compare Valve, which has devoloped some high quality games, to people who painfully cram chickens into miniscule cages, and don't compare people trying to reduce suffering to EA which is clearly interested in doing quite the opposite.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Legendsmith said:
I do have a problem with the practice of caging chickens, but I buy them anyway.
Why is this?
The answer is simple; Free range/barn eggs are a scam. The ONLY difference between free range and cage is the cage. The chickens don't have any more space to move around in, they pack them in the barns just as tight as in the cages.

Choose your poison, but don't kid yourself into thinking you're doing the 'right' thing.
The only way to do that is to get eggs from a local farm, where you can see how the chickens are kept. (which I do occasionally, when they have eggs available).
Pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

bobajob

Jun 24, 2011
Not really. They're both scams, at the end of the day. The price isn't justified.

Kudos to you if you have so much disposable income to spend on these things, we try to make the most of the pittance we are paid. As we say here, "eggs is eggs".

Good day to you.

(capcha - "by the book")

It's sentient now??

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Kendarik said:
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
eggs are a luxuary that i can rarely afford so i always buy whats cheapest. if some chickens have to suffer for it so be it
I find this an odd statement, and you aren't the only one in this thread who said it. Eggs here cost about 20cents. 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast makes a nice breakfast for well under $1. Just what do you eat that is less expensive than that?
you can't buy individual eggs here and from whatbi can tell they also cost more. As a student living on £20 a week if i'm lucky (that money is for things like transport as well as food) i buy cheap tinned stuff that doesn't spoil if you don't eat it fast enough.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
bobajob said:
Not really. They're both scams, at the end of the day. The price isn't justified.

Kudos to you if you have so much disposable income to spend on these things, we try to make the most of the pittance we are paid. As we say here, "eggs is eggs".

Good day to you.
I'm going to assume you were replying to me. I don't care what kind of eggs you buy. Just don't use crappy analogies; it's intellectually dishonest.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Yeah. Sorry, I just don't give a damn. Cage eggs taste just fine, and I won't pretend that anything else is that important to me. As far as I'm concerned, they are animals, and therefore not sentient, and therefore I don't much care how they're treated. Sure, I think the way cage raised chickens are raised is aweful, but I won't pretend that I care enough for it to make me buy eggs that are 3 times as expensive.

I do prefer farm eggs, because I like to support my local farmers, but I also won't pretend that I care enough to drive all the way out to the farms just for eggs.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I either don't notice or get the free range ones. I'm pretty sure I have heard something about them tasting better. I can't really tell the difference.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
As much as I would ethically prefer to buy free range eggs, I'm a student. I know it's an excuse but fuck it, it just doesnt seem worth it to buy free range for twice the price with the amount of money I have to live on. Maybe when I'm older and earn more money.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
I think I read somewhere that the definition of "free-range" is just that the animals have access to the outside - how farmers interpret this is entirely up to them - a square foot or 200 square feet, so long as it's outside - it all counts as "free-range", so it may in effect be nothing special beyond a triplicated price and a claim of moral superiority...

not that I care, I eat whatever is bought for me (still living at home)... but no, I have no compunction either way, free range or battery