Poll: Do you care when famous people die?

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
I've been watching the news this week, and there has been a lot of time dedicated to remembering Caylee Anthony, and I'm honestly getting a bit tired of it. On one hand, it's really sad that a little girl died, but on the other, more cynical hand, I know that the only reason I know Caylee Anthony is because of "missing white girl syndrome" and there are countless deaths going on right now that are just as tragic as her death. It's impossible to mourn for every death in the world, so why should I mourn for a complete stranger.

As Stalin said, "A single death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic."

So what do you think, do you care when a famous people you didn't know dies even though so many tragedies go unnoticed?

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Depends who it is. If its someone I enjoyed their work, such as a good comedian or a famous Steelers player I feel sad for a moment. Not going to cry for them but I'll give them a moment of silence. Most people? Not so much.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
If I liked the person then yeah I'll be a bit sad, but I don't see why their deaths would need anymore coverage than the average person.

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
Was Caylee a celebrity? No. The media pretty much blew it up out of proportion. I took the liberty of doing a little research and I actually found quite a few similar cases that are still unresolved. How about we shed some light on those?

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
If this famous person somehow made a difference in my life/inspired me or whatever else, yea, I'd be saddened by their death, other wise, no, not really.

the spud

May 2, 2011
No, I honestly have difficulty caring if someone dies if I don't know them. I MIGHT come close to shedding a tear when hayao miyazaki or shegiuru miyamoto dies, but other than that, nope. Psociopathy FTW!

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
I will miss them but I will never ever cry. Greg Gerardo was a awesome comedian but I didn't cry after his OD (Sorry if I miss spelled his name)

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Only if they're famous people I like.

I am very sad when people who I respect or whose work I enjoy. Others, I don't care. When Tom Cruise passes or is abducted by aliens and never seen again, I won't really care.

But I may have a party when Ke$ha overdoses on ground up bone marrow or whatever the fuck she does.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Not really at all. If it's a person's whose work I'd enjoy I'll be oh that sucks. If it's anyone else I don't bat an eyelash.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I gave a shit when Ryan Dunn died. But only because I knew of the man and liked him. If I don't know of the person I don't care

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
I'd have to be a fan of them, otherwise their death isn't very relevant to me and has little impact. I didn't really care when Ryan Dunn or even Michael Jackson died, for instance.

I was, however, very saddened when Macho Man Randy Savage passed away a month ago. I was a big fan of his as a kid.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
If I actually liked the person and their work then yes
otherwise not really. but I will react if people tell me and I know they cared about that person.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Depends on the person, I didn't give a damn when Michael Jackson died, but when Clint Eastwood dies I'll be slightly upset and probably have a movie marathon because of it.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Of course I do. I get irritated that I'm going to have to hear about this shit over and over again for the next few weeks and have to correct the people talking like experts on it because not one of them has the damn time to watch a single news episode to get the facts, when the only reason I know is because that damn episode happened to be on while I was on my laptop!

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
*RYAN DUNN* Too soon?

It must be someone anybody would like. Say, Robin Willams. The guy's a legend.

Or vice versa. Rebbeca Black or how ever you spell that. I can pretty much say no one will care except family.

thelaughingman

Feb 4, 2009
I honestly didn't until Dennis Hopper died, i took that one pretty hard (if you don't know who i'm talking about, find the movie 'Blue Velvet' and watch it, absolutely insane movie)

Also, i remember crying like a 5 year old girl when Layne Staley died.