Poll: Do you enjoy Moviebob's content?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I like The Big Picture .... when its about geeky things, and Escape to the Movies if ok as well, but I skip eps of that if I just don't care about the movie

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm fine with Bob most of the time, but we're talking something like a 60-40 ratio here.

Thing is, Bob's clearly got his likes and dislikes, and I doubt at this point I have to explain what they are. When talking about 'geek stuff' this isn't really an issue, because it fits his passion. However, it gets to me when it starts encroaching on things that shouldn't be compared to them. For example, the opening of his 'Interstellar' review has references to Star Wars and Age of Ultron because...he likes Star Wars and Age of Ultron. Lucy is called a "Black Widow film" because he likes Marvel. This may seem like making a mountain out of a molehill, but it does keep coming up with more regularity than I'd care for. As a casual viewer, I don't watch most of his 'geek stuff' as it's not really in my realm of interest (e.g. never got into the superhero genre in comics). I don't begrudge that content existing, and no-one is forcing me to watch it. But in content that has nothing to do with this genre or other areas that might be related to it, I feel the attempts at shoehorning to be jarring at times.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Yes, I do.

I don't always agree with him, that's for sure. But he tends to present arguments in a reasonable, coherent and argumented manner. Doesn't really matter if I agree or not (or the degree to which I agree or disagree), he is still capable of presenting an issue well enough and giving some (of his own) insight into it.

Also, not all of his stuff is polarizing. While there have been some contentious episodes of the Big Picture, a lot of it is simply presenting various aspects of geek/nerd culture and giving an overview of it, which is a great way to learn about new things in those areas.

As for his film reviews, this is down to how much his taste aligns with yours. While I'm on the same page as he is a lot of the time, I do think he's been too hard on some films (most recently, Interstellar), but that's a matter of taste, and the flaws he list for a film are usually accurate, though the extent to which they may or may not bother you is variable. I do, however, think he should stop mentioning the new Spiderman films so often - I agree that they were shit, but it really seems to annoy quite a few viewers and serves no real purpose except to undermine his reviews.

Aside from that, I also watch his non-Escapist series which are gaming-focused. Here I tend to disagree with him more often, mainly because he's a Nintendo fanboy and very dismissive of PC gaming. But I accept his viewpoint and it doesn't hurt me to get exposed to a different perspective on gaming.

All in all, he does good work and I hope he continues.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
No, I don't like him or his work.

I don't like the backhanded insults, I don't like the general bias, I don't like the snotty arrogance, I don't like his fanboy focus on Marvel, I don't like his autopilot disregard for all things not-Marvel, I don't like his rumormongering news pieces or his clickbait articles, I don't like his social media gimmickry, and I don't like the way he's constantly taking up more space at The Escapist.

For this and a lot of other things I don't consider him a good reviewer.
I was trying to write what I have against Bob, I think there are some videos when he brings up some very interesting points, but most of the time he's so obnoxious that it borders on unbearable.

ngl42398

May 19, 2011
I used to like his stuff, but now all I see is an arrogant jerk who talks down to everyone and refuses to attempt to understand his opponent's point of view. His Twitter is so inflammatory and bigoted it blows my mind.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I used to watch his stuff, but I just sort of lost interest over time. I don't really watch movies or care about comic books, so there wasn't much for me beyond just a sort of entertaining video. It wasn't even really like a conscious thought or anything, I just kind of stopped.

I have to say twitter has not improved my opinion of the man. It's not even so much that he is rude or unprofessional, but really just the disturbingly stark black and white view of morality/life that he holds. I came across a tweet that stated (paraphrased) "this person is not a feminist, therefore he is a conservative, therefore he is bad" and I couldn't believe it. I really get the impression that he has basically rendered the world down into dark-side/light-side without any sort of degrees - like a person who votes conservatively for the fiscal policy is essentially as bad as a KKK member.

Admittedly, I have no idea what American politics are like so maybe the conservative party in that country is devoted to reducing civil rights and killing puppies, but I kind of doubt it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
His anylises of movies and other pop culture in Escape to the Movies and The Big Picture are good, except when hi gets on his soapbox and injects his political views into things, especially when he thinks a movie has the same as his own (Purge 2). When he's really vicious to a movie that I think looks like fun (which is why I go to movies anyway, not to be depressed), I see it anyway out of spite (if my budget allows it). I am perplexed by his virulent hatred of The Big Bang Theory and naming Lisa as his favorite Simpson. In short, I have a complicated relationship with Bob's output.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
No, I avoid the content he makes. Escape to the Movies is fine but I have other sources for movie reviews that work better for me. I don't value his opinion or find him insightful so The Big Picture is more than useless for me.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I enjoy The Big Picture since Bob's a deeper well of useless (but usually interesting) genre information than I am! And there's a certain "Nostalgia Goggles" quality in it for me since I discovered the show during a particularly memorable time in my life.

I used to like Escape the Movies as well but am having a difficult time with his incredible biases. Yes, it's his show and he's absolutely free to express his opinion how he likes. But I guess I'd just like to understand a little better why Chris Pine, Frank Miller and "Man of Steel" are constantly held up as examples of the most heinous things in all creation.

(Michael Bay and "The Amazing Spider-Man", however, I totally understand.)

Still, I appreciate the content and watch it regularly.

The written stuff is pretty hit or miss to me. It depends on the topic of "HD" and I really don't care much for "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D"

(There. I said it. Bring on the flames!)

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Jandau said:
Yes, I do.

I don't always agree with him, that's for sure. But he tends to present arguments in a reasonable, coherent and argumented manner. Doesn't really matter if I agree or not (or the degree to which I agree or disagree), he is still capable of presenting an issue well enough and giving some (of his own) insight into it.
This sums up my opinion pretty well about bob,I also seem to have a fairly similar opinion about films as him so i find escape to the movies useful most of the time for me.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
This is reeeeeaaaly petty, but every time Bob lets his Boston accent slip through when he's speaking, I cringe. I feel like his IQ dropped about 30-50 points when I hear his accent, and I almost tune out completely to whatever he's saying.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I generally agree with the political values he espouses, but stopped following him and haven't been able to enjoy his work after he said "There are no bad tactics, only bad targets." on twitter. Which regardless of what you think of #Gamergate[footnote]It's NOT a hate group from what I've seen. In fact I've seen many more instances of doxxing, swatting and in one case even physical assault AGAINST Gamergaters only asking for journalistic reform.[/footnote] is the kind of statement one expects to hear from a literal fascist.

His stated goals may be good, but this mentality places him as part of a rising tide of people who dogpile harass individuals they disagree with for e-points rather than tackle the systemic causes of inequality. Which aside from being disgustingly hypocritcal [footnote]Apparently the scientist in #Shirtstorm was "asking for" his abuse because of what he was wearing- a shirt no one would have blinked at had it been worn by his female friend who designed it and gave it to him.[/footnote] hurts their own cause http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/18/feminism-rosetta-scientist-shirt-dapper-laughs-julien-blanc-inequality

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I came here for Yahtzee...saw a non Yahtzee called Moviebob. Not able to make me laugh but im a miserable cuntinator, so tis expected so tis ok. Dont really follow him, but he often has some interested articles with knowledge to share. I appreciate what he does for the escapist. They need it now more than ever. But i prefer my own opinion on movies really.
And yes, the amazing spiderman films do suck, but i dont watch his videos enough to know his tiddlybits.

In all...am comfortable with the distance i keep. More Yahtzee please!

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I just watch his videos on here, I watch all them I really enjoy them, I actually disagree with ALOT of what he says but I find his style and humour good value so yea. With Jims departure his videos are the only ones Il be watching week in week out.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
I really liked his content a while back, but he's been really slipping the past couple of years.

To start, his political leaning is extremely far left. Nothing wrong with that, but he often (and by often I mean almost always - just look at his twitter) tends to paint anyone who even slightly disagrees with him as a right-wing religious gun-toting nutjob.
This really becomes a problem when these views seep into his videos. I mean, in his "worst person" video he blamed COD for ruining video games and implied that people who played them were white trash who ought to be driving around in their massive trucks. And his snotty arrogance just makes it all worse.
But worst of all, its his hypocrisy. The past few months hes been screaming from atop his soapbox how harassing is so terrible, all the while saying how anyone who got harassed for daring to speak in defense of gamergate essentially got what they deserved. Pretty much everything he says can be summed up in "it's not terrible as long as long as it's done to people I don't like"

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
Depends on what it's about. If it's on movies I am fine with him. If it's him talking about games I keep completely clear.