Poll: Do you enjoy Moviebob's content?

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
So Moviebob on the escapist has a very large presence in terms of the amount of content he produces. He's constantly in the news section, writes a lot of different reviews and of course has the big picture but he's also been a bit of a dividing figure among the community, at least from what I've seen.

So I thought I might see what everyone thinks of him, what they like don't like etc. Oh and don't forgetting insulting contributors gets you in trouble so lets keep it civil... Please?

Personally, I enjoy him sometimes and sometimes not but generally I know what to avoid. For one I don't enjoy marvel movies so that's an easy thing to avoid but I have found him insightful on occasions and I enjoy his history lessons on various 'geek' things that have happened from before my time but I think his anger gets the best of him at times but that's more his twitter then here, though its been known to happen.

EDIT: Think the top option has dun goofed. It was meant to be "He's my favorite contributor" I'll try to edit it.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I think he's good at what he does, though I more often than not take issue with his attitude both in his videos and on Twitter.

And no, it's not because of ''t3h SJW!!11'', though he and I are definitely political opposites in many ways. I find it ironic that despite claiming to be all about the joys of geek culture and campaigning for more inclusivity, he can be really hostile to people who disagree with him even over small things.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2014/10/cultural-genocide-thing/#comment-1649541742

In the comment section of that article he outright compares people who don't like superhero movies to Gamergate of all things. Yes, he compared people who don't like a particular genre of movie he's passionate about to a hate group that's best known for harassing women.

Speaking of harassment. This is what he thinks of the fact that Jack Thompson was also harassed back in the day:

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/527993572734537728

Yes, that's him openly and explicitly endorsing harassment of Jack Thompson.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yup.

I don't agree with him on everything, be it about movies or culture in general, and he can be a incredibly arrogant guy, but I don't disagree with him as vehemently as some and I think he's intelligent, knowledgable within his field and good at what he does.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The guy definately has a talent for reviewing movies, but he tends to have a very large chip on his shoulders, which he usually expresses in a less than fasionable manner. Like him blaming everyone who went to see The Expendables instead of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. His constant "bro" voicing of everything he deems stupid doesn't paint him in the most flattering light either.

Either it's just an act, or he has some issues to sort through. Whatever it is, it gets in the way of what talent he has.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I watched his stuff a while back.

Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it. Slightly enjoyable, but, not really enough to keep my attention.

Lately, he's basically been offensive towards anyone who holds different opinions, so, I can't say I care to view his content again any time soon.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Dark Knifer said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Didn't he call them ISIS a while back on twitter? Well, guess I'm off to syria then.
That was Devin Faraci, the guy at the helm of Badass Digest. Can't blame you for the mistake though since Bob hero-worships him and retweets every other thing he says (hyperbole).

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Dark Knifer said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Didn't he call them ISIS a while back on twitter? Well, guess I'm off to syria then.
That was Devin Faraci, the guy at the helm of Badass Digest. Can't blame you for the mistake though since Bob hero-worships him and retweets every other thing he says (hyperbole).
That would be why. Twitter confuses me.

Aug 31, 2012
Never really seen any. I don't watch films these days and have no interest in comics, barring a nostalgic warmth for 2000AD/Judge Dredd, so his content has never been relevant to my interests.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Zykon TheLich said:
Never really seen any. I don't watch films these days and have no interest in comics, barring a nostalgic warmth for 2000AD/Judge Dredd, so his content has never been relevant to my interests.
Oh you won't catch him covering those... as we all know: Pop culture only exists in America... only American comics ever matter... GOD FORBID someone who looks at Geek Ephemera would look at 2000AD or Sonic The Comic. Why... that would be positively madness. Not even a wider look at Dan Abnetts work when Guardians was coming out.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
No, the bias he has towards certain things is as blatant as can be and ever since I've been aware of his presence (since I've joined the site) I've witnessed many shitstorms he's kicked up that made him appear extremely off-putting.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
The guy's an encyclopedia when it comes to films and I have enjoyed his retrospectives on cinema history in the past.

And that's it. I don't find him a likeable personality and I rarely agree with his views, let alone when he gets preachy about them.

I've stopped watching his stuff a while back, a lot of his comments during the whole gamergate debacle (i should state i'm neutral in that whole thing, didn't pick a "side") cemented my distate of him.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
He's been rather too mean-spirited in quite a few of his recent remarks and a few times in the past, particularly when Michael Bay is mentioned. There are some comments that should not be shared on Twitter. I shall continue to enjoy his old film reviews and Big Picture episodes, however.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I would enjoy his videos more if he put more effort into them. Every review has the same cartoon faces (and I don't even know what they mean or what purpose they serve) and still shots from films. Also the movies he reviews are all hollywood blockbusters or big indie films, bar none. I mean, couldn't he do a foreign film once in a while?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Depends what he is talking about. For example I don't watch the Big Picture in October because I am not a horror fan and Halloween is not much of a thing in England so I find his topics during 'Schlocktober' to be very boring.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The big picture is always a bit hit and miss for me because I'm neither into comics or old shows from the stone age but I enjoy Bob's content more times then I don't.

But I don't think I either like or respect Bob as a person. I'm fine with his stance on gamergate or on the Mass Effect 3 ending but his stance towards everyone not on the same side as him implies a certain allergy to professional behavior. His beliefs also intrude a bit to much on his work if you ask me.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I watch his stuff on occasion, but he's certainly not the reason I stick around here. Then again, I don't watch a lot of TV or movies and almost never read comics, and since those are his areas of specialty here, I don't have a lot of reason to watch him most weeks.

I also can't say that I'm particularly fond of the way he handles disagreements. Yes, we tend to agree on a lot of issues (at least from what I've seen), but he just seems to come across as overly condescending and hostile to those who disagree with him, and not in the humorous way either.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Not really no. I think the guy knows his stuff, but at the same time, I feel like he gets almost too personal about some subjects? It's hard to explain I guess.

It was a few years ago, with Scott Pilgrim and the Expendables that was really the "last straw" for me. Yes, Expendables was a bad movie, but the way he insulted everybody who saw it, and basically any time he does his "Bro voice", it just got old very fast.