Poll: Do you have a phobia?

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
I saw a topic on irrational fears awhile back and I started wondering how prevalent that kind of thing was.

Note that by 'No', I don't mean 'I am not afraid of anything', just that 'I am not afraid of anything that can't actually cause me serious harm'. Being afraid of bees if you're allergic, for example, is completely rational.

I should also point out that I mean a phobia that you are aware of. It's entirely possible that I might have a phobia of blue-coloured monkeys, but having no experience with them, I couldn't really say.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I actually have TWO phobias. Insects and heights. Neither is super over the top, but they're definitely significant enough to qualify as phobias.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah I have arachnophobia. My brother on the other hand has no phobia what so ever so far (unless he's not telling me what it is).

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I have a phobia of close physical contact with strangers, as in not just feeling uncomfortable but a real fear of being touched by people I don't know well or trust. No idea why (might be related to my Aspergers) but at-least it's not one that comes up often.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Wasn't there a thread about irrational fears just a day or two ago?

I have a bit of a phobia towards nasty insects and snakes.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Does my fear of heights count?
I know heights are dangerous, but I don't know if that makes the fear rational. I experience dizziness and a feeling of gravitating towards the edge if I stand anywhere of significant elevation.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I have a pretty irrational fear of spiders.

It's not like I live in one of those areas with particularly large or deadly spiders, either. The biggest ones I've seen around here are usually no more than two or three inches wide (including the legs), and those aren't even particularly common.

But for some reason... I just can't handle them being around. If I see one, first instinct is to panic, second instinct is to drop everything I'm doing until that spider is utterly destroyed.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Slightly arachnophobic. Well, it depends on how you see a phobia. I'm just rather afraid of them, and it doesn't alter my life in any way. Except that I tend to go spiderhunting each summer to make sure the little buggers don't get too comfortable. I'm fine with spiders existing, but I'd rather they didn't share their space with me.

AlAaraaf74

Dec 11, 2010
I'm afraid of the dark, but I don't know what the phobia's called. My fear was much worse when I was a child, but now it's just a little unnerving. My imagination never left me.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I have a phobia of snakes as I once went to a petting zoo where there were several of them around, and one gigantic one (about 2m long) that blended into the carpet and I nearly stepped on. Pretty traumatising to a 5 year old.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
AlAaraaf74 said:
I'm afraid of the dark, but I don't know what the phobia's called. My fear was much worse when I was a child, but now it's just a little unnerving. My imagination never left me.
Nyctophobia.

I have mild arachnophobia (4/10) and nyctophobia (7/10). On that scale, 10 is screaming bloody terror while 1 is nervous apprehension.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I have both omphalophobia and arachnophobia. Omphalophobia is the fear of having my belly button touched, it is weird but true.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I fear great heights, got over a fear of wasps (I still really, really hate them and want to kill them all with fire), being alone in the dark in the streets of an unfamiliar place, robots/rogue computers and most irrationally I fear talking or hearing about genetics.

There you go.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
A phobia of if anyone is laughing, they're laughing at me. Especially if they're behind me.

I also have have a phobia of just anything to do with eyes. Talk about them near me, I have to begin manual blinking. Cannot stand films that involve eyes being damaged.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Yes...Balloons. I hate them. They're loud, they feel weird, I get very stiff and uncomfortable whenever I am near them.

Everything about them rubs me the wrong way.

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
Spiders.

There was a time when that phobia, combined with borderline paranoid depression, led me to actually see them constantly where there were none. I had a freakout in the middle of college that made me realise I needed help, there was no spider, just a shadow.

Then I moved to Australia, land of the psychotic murder spiders.

I've had to get over it to an extent.. my wife is more scared than I am.. but now at least these spiders CAN kill me.