Poll: Do you hold open doors?

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Yup, for pretty much anyone who is close behind me or coming from the other direction of the door. It's only polite, and it doesn't take too much time.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I will hold the door open for anyone whether they're in front, behind me, or I'm letting them through first. I'll always pretty much pass them the door so they make sure they don't have it swing in their face.

But I tell you what, I always always notice when someone doesn't hold it open for you or they're so rude about shoving their way past.

I curse them under my breath but that's not very constructive!

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
I hold open doors all the time to be polite I think its just something people should do more often.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Yes. Not in the "stand aside and let them go through first" kind of way. More in the "keep it open after walking through it so they don't get a door shut in their face" kind of way.

Not chivalrous, just not being a dick to people.

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
Only if the person behind me is within 9 feet. Or if they have a baby in a pram. 10 feet? Sorry, you're gona have to quicken the pace and open the door yourself, i have places to be.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
CM156 said:
So here's a question I have for you escapist: Do you hold open doors for people in public? If so, why? If not, why not?

I do, because it's something I was taught to do when I was very young, and I guess I've kept it ever since. It's just something I thought was expected of young men

EDIT: Escapist ate my poll. I hope it was tasty
Didnt we have this topic, or one similar over the summer? I swear I remember something about this before....

Anyways, yes, I do hold the door for other people. Where I was raised, its called manners. In the south, shutting the door in someones face or not responding when they say hi tends to piss people off.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I almost always hold doors open for people. Especially on the last stop on a bus. The doors on the back usually don't stay open unless held, so I keep it open till everyone moves on out. Same thing with Lightrail trains. I'll hold them open when I see people rushing to get in. I know how it feels to miss your train by seconds, it SUCKS!

luclin92

Apr 22, 2009
well of course i hold the door open for people that comes after me, if I am the first person to go through the door or if i see that someone is coming right after me.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yes. Especially in my school where the doors are ridiculously heavy.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
If someone is behind me, then of course I do. I mean, what's the alternative, slamming the door shut in their face?

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
As in to prevent it slamming in the face of somebody, yes, that's what everybody should do regardless of age or gender.

Do I wait around for people a while behind me to catch up? Nope. Stand to the side and hold it open for women? Fuck no, that's offensive to both of us. I do stand clear and hold it open if there's somebody in a wheelchair or pushing a baby coming through, though.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Yes, I always do so, even if I'm not sure someone behind me will want to go through that door.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Always. And I'm thanks 9/10 times. Made especially fulfilling when it's a pleasant looking lady but I do always hold the door open regardless of who it is

red the fister

Mar 11, 2009
depends entirely on my mood. anything but "Murderous Rage" and "so drunk - fucking door!" and it is, almost, guaranteed.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Of course. Well, most of the time, at least. There have been some instances where I forget my manners and don't hold the door and I feel bad about it for the rest of the day. :(

Sometimes I hold the door for someone who's already holding the door and there's a lot of people coming in.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
I'm always confused by these threads. Maybe it us because of where I live but if you are within 3 meters of a door it is uncommon for the door not to be held open around here.