Poll: Do you hold open doors?

Makhiel

Dec 15, 2010
I only hold doors if the other person can't do it himself (hands full of luggage or something) or if I open the door only to find someone leaving the building then of course the person that is leaving goes first. Otherwise I just shove the door a little harder so that the other person can catch it with his hand.

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
I try my best to, I'll admit I'm more likely to hold a door for a woman or the elderly than the average Joe tho...

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
The awkward moment of holding open a door to a stranger, only then noticing that there's a lot more people walking in than you expected there would and you end up just standing there for a minute, nodding, smiling.

Yes, I hold open doors.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I always hold the door open for people who are close behind me. I don't see why I wouldn't, it's not like I'm in a big rush. I especially hold the door open for people with children or pregnant woman, or if they've got both hands occupied, even if they're not so close behind. It's just a really simple, nice thing to do.

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
Its kind of a given at my job... I would do it normally, but now I have to stand there with the door, smile, and go "Have a good day!" in the most overly enthusiastic voice you can imagine.

Charvale

May 17, 2008
CM156 said:
So here's a question I have for you escapist: Do you hold open doors for people in public? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes. Yes I do. I hold open doors for both men and women just to show one more person common courtesy, and kindness, regardless of who they may or may not be.

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
Yep, I always hold doors open for people, unfortunately only the people who I know ever seem to thank me :(

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
Yeah, but half the time the other person pushes the other side of the door open and walks through that instead.

Nooh

Mar 31, 2011
Yes, I always hold the door open, provided they are not too far away. I often also reach over the person in front of me, if they are shorter, to hold the door open for them, it's just sort of a habit.

Funky Flump

Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, and I do it too early and there's that awkward moment as they walk up slowly looking at you.

Sep 14, 2009
Blunderboy said:
I do, if someone is within a reasonable distance anyway. I'm not going to wait for ages.
It's pretty much an automatic response. I wish more people would thank me though.
yup this, i don't even really realize it most of the time, i just do it.

anytime i'm walking from one place to another, i'm basically on auto-pilot mode, set to "courteous", and my brain shuts down.

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah, but only if they're close behind me. If they're too far then I'm stuck in an awkward situation where they start to rush a little bit but not so much that they look foolish and I'm stuck holding a door. It's awful when you get a thank you and then both continue in the same direction, holding open each door as you go, thanking you after each one.

Such is the risk and sacrifice of being a gentleman.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
generally its a case of I go through the door first then a quick check if it's worth keeping it open a few more seconds.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Yes, of course I do. I also glower at people that don't hold the door for me.