Poll: Do You Invert?

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
In my house, if we're hot-seating a game, I get nagged for constantly inverting the Y-Axis. My housemates say I must be a witch... like those sinister left-handed folk!

I want to prove to them that I'm certainly not alone in my inverted Y-axis persuasion.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Apparently, when you pick up a game for the first time, whether or not you like the inverse thumbstick/mouse setting depends on which side of the brain you use most.

I use inverse. Because I can.

P.S. To anyone wonderring:
The y-axis is the up/down.

Edit: I take that back and substitute what this guy said:
ThatJagoGuy said:
I found a paper during my psych degree research which theorised that inversion often comes down to perspective. Inverters apparently tend to view the camera as a physical mechanism wthin the virtual environment to be manipulated much like their neck would move to adjust the view in real life. Non-inverters allegedly see the environment purely as an interface so their logic dictates up be up and down be down.

Of course, we adapt to different styles, but I think our initial approach may indeed be dictated about whetther you use the creative or logical side of your brain.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
I only use inverted camera on City of Heroes/Villains. Anyhting else and its up is up and down is down.

Livi70590

May 14, 2008
I see up - Pitch down and down - pitch up as normal. Anything else is just sadistic.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Depends on the game, if it involves flying a lot, then yes I do (with the mouse btw). It would feel strange otherwise.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
No, and when I go to my friends we can't take turns on games because he does. Instead we game with one PC the only way we know how. We set an 8-way dawn of war match up on extreme difficulty and then see how long we survive then take bets on who is gonna win.

One time we got flattened by a chaos army and a space marines army that filled the entire screen (each), then it turned out that both of those guys lost as the IG and Eldar had insane armies but the eldar won coz the IG trapped their baneblade with buildings and eldars won on control area. Thrilling.

But no i don't invert, sorry for the tangent.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
I can use inverted pretty easily but I do not for the simple reason that I get used to it and then I always find myself looking down for up and up for down. So I try to avoid it as much as possible.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Pi_Fighter said:
Apparently, when you pick up a game for the first time, whether or not you like the inverse thumbstick/mouse setting depends on which side of the brain you use most.
Ooh, that's a neat little tidbit to know. That may explain why myself and one friend invert, and my other two friends don't.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I used to. Now I prefer non-inverted.
I can work both, I just tend to get used to a certain type.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
For some reason, it changes from game to game for me. After years of anguish in trying to figure out exactly what I DO want, I think I have a few ideas how my thumbs work.

Full-blown FPS: Not inverted

Adventure game: Inverted.

I had been putting some time into L4D, and it broke my bad habit of not being able to use dual sticks. I was quite happy and surprised that after all my gaming on my N64, rectified was my choice alignment. Then I tried out Kameo, and every time I had to aim with the icicles in the first level, I would move the stick as if I wanted it inverted.

My thumbs have played too many different games, and are too confused to really know what they want. Games like Jak and Daxter messed me up too, because camera control is reversed on the X-axis because of the third person camera. Switching to a FPS ended up being difficult because of pushing the wrong directions in just about every possible way. For the longest time, I just stopped playing console FPSs.

Rivana

Mar 26, 2009
Evil Jak said:
I only use inverted camera on City of Heroes/Villains. Anyhting else and its up is up and down is down.
It drove me crazy that it was inverted on coh/cov.

The Giggling Pin

Jan 7, 2009
It depends on what settings the game is on when i first play it. If it is inverted the first time then i will always play it inverted but if it isn't then i always play it without. In the future if i play the game again on different setting i have to change it otherwise i get all confused but i don't actually have a preferred setting.