Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
Volf99 said:
so...I'm still a little confused, is Yue similar to Cantonese like how American English is similar to British English? Or is it more like British English and Spanish?
American English vs. British English is perhaps a bit broad of an example, though yes, that would serve, though I'd say it's more like... *checks* Right, you're American... for one reason or another, I was hoping you were German o_O' ... sorry! (Though it was if only to say Yue vs. Cantonese was like Bayerisch vs. Hochdeutsch... but never mind).

Anyway, back to my point, the sets of dialects would be analogous to regional dialects in the States (e.g. South Midland vs Coastal South, for a native, they're obvious to tell apart, but for a foreigner, it kinda sounds the same, like with Cantonese vs. Fujianese, I know they're different, but most westerners wouldn't be able to tell them apart).
lol, I'm German-American but I don't think that helps. Ok I think I know what you mean now, thanks.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
I'm fluent in English and Dutch, still attempting to grasp French. I think people who aren't multi-lingual are a rare find in Europe.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
learning a third actually

I learned german in school because I have to

I'm learning dutch because I want to (and having a dutch wife pressuring you to also helps. Dammit, I'm no linguist, and it's hard as nails)

EpicEps

Nov 29, 2011
Zarkov said:
I've wanted to learn it, but I've always thought Latin was hard to learn.

How hard is Latin to learn?
I took a semester of Latin a semester or two ago. It wasn't difficult, but I had trouble keeping up with the vocabulary. That's my main problem with learning languages, the vocabulary. But everything else is rather straight forward.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
English (derp) and Spanish. Since America is so famous for Spanish-speaking immigrants, and every summer Ohio seems to be swarmed by them. Made sense to learn that over French or German.

Chatato

Dec 19, 2010
I speak English, but at the moment I'm learning to speak German thanks to my school, I got to choose between that and Japanese, but I had already done Japanese for three years at my primary school and I hated it and nothing stuck with me.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
English, French and Dutch here (cause I'm Belgian). Some German and Spanish too.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
My native language is German. I also consider myself quite good at speaking English.
Besides, I have moderately good knowledge of French and basic Spanish skills.