Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Hello mono-, bi-, and multilingual escapees, what (second) language are you learning and why do you learn it? and if you aren't learning one, why not?

It's a question of mine, because here at my high school (in the US) there a maybe 3 people in the entire school that actually like learning a second language. Learning a second language in this school, and in general America, doesn't seem very popular and I'm not sure why. Learning a second language doesn't seem to be a very popular decision in the states (and at my school).

So what's your opinion about foreign language, Escapist community?

Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist. (Use Google translate :D)

EDIT: I'm really liking all of the foreign (Foreign to me, at least :p) language love! You know what I think? The Escapist should have a group for each respective language. lolololo

I wonder if there's a German group here... :D

On the poll results are a little surprising in that I thought there would be more people against learning a second language, but I forget that the Escapist a large group of speakers which their second language is English.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I speak Swedish and English fluently, and I know a very little bit of Spanish. Studied it for four years, but nothing stuck with me.
Been considering to learn German or Italian eventually.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
I think it can be quite funny to learn a new language.

I know Swedish,English and some spanish.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Well, English is my second language, Finnish being the first.

Those are the only languages I can say I speak fluently.
I also know Swedish (a language I had to study at school) and Japanese (a language I have studied for fun).

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Most of Europe knows english as a second language.

Because it is useful to whine about stuff in websites like these!

I also speak swedish and germany a bit.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I'm fluent in 3 (English, Urdu, Punjabi), currently learning French. However, I can read Arabic, even though I lack the vocabulary to have any practical use of it. I also have a working knowledge of Spanish, the form spoken in South and Central America. I'm planning on starting Latin and Classical Greek after I get my Major in French. German is also on the list.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I was decent at german in high school but once I graduated I never practiced so I'm pretty bad at it now. Other then that I only know english fluently.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I'm rather interested in various languages, and I really do want to eventually reach fluency in Japanese at some point. I'm not currently actively learning it due to a lack of time and energy to devote to the task, but I did take a class on it for 3 years in high school and I'm passingly familiar with the language (even though my vocabulary is relatively small).

It's one of those things on the to-do list that I'm probably never going to have the time to do, but want to nonetheless.

noahpocalypse

Oct 23, 2011
Yes. I took Spanish I and II at my last high school, and as a sophomore at a different school, I m required to take Latin. I will be required to take Latin II as well. I am enjoying it.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Giest4life said:
I'm fluent in 3 (English, Urdu, Punjabi), currently learning French. However, I can read Arabic, even though I lack the vocabulary to have any practical use of it. I also have a working knowledge of Spanish, the form spoken in South and Central America. I'm planning on starting Latin and Classical Greek after I get my Major in French. German is also on the list.
Jawohl!

That's really cool that you're learning so many languages. I'm working on one and that's hard enough, so I couldn't comprehend learning that many.

Balodal

Dec 1, 2011
Well I am usually not to open to learning new languages, but i really enjoyed learning english. :D

I know German and English pretty well and a very little bit of french.

Zarkov said:
Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist. (Use Google translate :D)
That german is acually pretty good, which is quite impressive considering how complicated the language is

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I've been learning German for about 3 years, nearly 4 now. I understand pretty much everything grammar and sentence structure wise, but my vocabulary is still quite tiny, but I love the language and learning and also practicing with German speaking people both face to face and online.
I plan to then learn Dutch.

Zarkov said:
From what I understand, that was perfect except for the overuse of commas and the wrong case on "Jahr", but you did use Google, so no grudges shall be held. :)

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
yes, my second language is english!

my first is hebrew, and somehow I'm worse at my native one then I am at my second one (not really, but pretty damn close)...

Zoe Lynn

Feb 9, 2011
I'm learning french because speaking a foreign language is one of my few skills.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
For some unknown reason I'm trying to learn French and Japanese at the same time.

French because I'm visiting friends there soon, Japanese because I used to work there and REALLY want to fo back someday.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
Agayek said:
I'm rather interested in various languages, and I really do want to eventually reach fluency in Japanese at some point. I'm not currently actively learning it due to a lack of time and energy to devote to the task, but I did take a class on it for 3 years in high school and I'm passingly familiar with the language (even though my vocabulary is relatively small).

It's one of those things on the to-do list that I'm probably never going to have the time to do, but want to nonetheless.
Watashi wa Zarkov desu. lol

Yeah, I was learning Japanese but stopped to learn German full-time. Learning a second language is difficult, but I think it would be really rewarding if actually learn a language.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
I can speak a little bit of German. Thats about it though. Yet once I have graduated I want to learn Italian.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
My main language is Russian, at 7 y.o i started learning English in my language orientated school, now i know it good, i think. Well at least i have no problems with communication. 3 years ago started learning Japanese, progression is slow but i'm getting there. In summary i know 2 languages and another one is on 35%.