Poll: Do you know the words to your national anthem?

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
I know my national anthem, yes. But I prefer the version about the fat cow who only eats chips and Coca Cola.

[small]Om du vill banta så drick lite Fanta...[/small]

On an unrelated note, I remember watching "Swedish versions" of other countries' national anthems on Youtube when I was younger. As in, Swedish mondegreens ahoy. The funniest part was that people from the countries in question got super-offended and asked "Well if we did this to your anthem, how would you feel?!". Most of the responses were "I'd laugh my fucking ass off".

On another unrelated note, there was a person here (I don't remember if it was a politician or if it was someone else...) who claimed that children going on a summer break shouldn't be allowed to sing the Swedish national anthem in church because that's apparently racist. Is this an opinion held by someone in your countries as well?

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Well the case with Germany and it's national anthem is a funny one.
And now it's time for a history lesson.

The original national anthem, the Deutschlandlied, has 3 stanzas.
Man people believe that singing the first stanza is illegal which is wrong. But it's generally associated with the Nazis.
Nobody I know, besides me, knows the second stanza.
And the third stanza is the official national anthem of Germany today. Which is sad because our anthem is not a complete song.

But as a fan of history I know all 3 stanzas. And the anthem of East Germany. And the two "inofficial" anthems of the German Empire.

Fun fact: This song was used once as the German National anthem after the second world war. Yes It's a carnival song.

Anja Bech

Mar 20, 2013
Yes of course I do, I've heard is so unbelievably many times. "Der er et yndigt land" (there is a beautiful country/land). It makes me all patriotic. No, not really, but it's a nice song and I happen to know all of it, not just the bits you sing at foot ball matches. :p

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I know the first verse, and am vaguely aware there is a second one.

However, I will have to agree with this estimable poster:

Vault101 said:
Australia has the worst most droning boring anthem ever

say what you want about Waltzing Matilda at least its catchy
We really do have the most boring, pointless national anthem. Waltzing Matilda would be better, though in honour of our current Prime Minister's staunch efforts in appealing to the bogan vote by Stopping the Boats*, I would like to nominate Frenzal Rhomb's You Can't Move Into My House as our new national anthem.

[sub]* Copyright Australian Liberal Party, Canberra[/sub]

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Canadian here. Yes I know our national anthem. Don't know it in French though. Between singing it every morning in school and hearing it all the time at the start of hockey games, it's pretty much permanently drilled into my brain.

As a random aside, Calixa Lavallée (the composer of the actual music for O Canada) wasn't nationalistic at all. He actually advocated for the US and Canada to be one nation.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
As a random aside, Calixa Lavallée (the composer of the actual music for O Canada) wasn't nationalistic at all. He actually advocated for the US and Canada to be one nation.
Still, a job's a job, eh?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
infohippie said:
RedDeadFred said:
Still, a job's a job, eh?
Ya... composers didn't exactly make a ton of money. I doubt he even hesitated when he was commissioned to compose the piece. Even though it wasn't made the national anthem until long after he was dead, he was still composing it to the very patriotic poem.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yep. Well, the verse that everyone actually bothers to sing that is. Because there's several more you rarely ever hear.

Well, OK, I may have forgotten some of the words...

And OK, well, technically I only really know the anthem of one country properly, which, considering I've lived in 3, and have citizenship of 2 of them is I guess not ideal, but...

Well, that aside, yes... XD

Vault101 said:

thaluikhain said:
Nope...knowing all the words to the national anthem is unAustralian.
knowing the second verse is just trying to hard

[sub/]I know the second verse[/sub]
You poor poor soul. Nobody is meant to know that verse. It just isn't natural... XD

Wasn't there some joke about making waltzing matilda the actual anthem at some point?
It got rejected or something, but I think it was actually a genuine suggestion at one point or another, wasn't it?

Then again there's a bunch of people that feel like suggesting new designs for the flag every 5 minutes, so, that's not really saying much is it.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Trivun said:
Colour Scientist said:
I do indeed.

Amhrán na bhFiann isn't the most exciting national anthem but it can be fun to belt it out before watching a match! :3
By match do you mean rugby? Six Nations this weekend, and apparently Blighty's favourite to win... ;D

Also, I do know the words to my national anthem, the best one out there, and most of the words to half the songs considered as an 'English' anthem. Including the entirety of 'Jerusalem', and most of 'Land of Hope and Glory'...
Favourite shmavourite.

Besides, even if you do win, I'm comforted by the fact that we still leathered your arses.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Canada's lyrics are pretty simple when you think about it and it was drilled into me when schools still made you sing it in the morning. So yeah, I know Oh Canada.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I know the beginning, which isn't much at all. Last time i heard it was in sixth grade during a music class..

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Vault101 said:

thaluikhain said:

I think you should replace it with Land Down Under.

I know some of it but not all of it. Although in my defence it's in Irish and I'm not great at Irish.

DevilishGryphon

Jul 6, 2009
Yup, I know my national anthem (Welsh) and the English translation. If it's sung by a male voice choir (as it should be), it's one of my favourites from all that I've heard.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Knight Captain Kerr said:
Vault101 said:

thaluikhain said:

I think you should replace it with Land Down Under.

I know some of it but not all of it. Although in my defence it's in Irish and I'm not great at Irish.
You could always do what a lot of people do, sing the first few bars and then make weird noises that vaguely sound like the syllables of the actual words.
Then when you get to the end, shout really loudly because you know you definitely have the syllable sounds down.

"Shuuuh-liiiivv con-eeegh ah-rawn na veeen!!!"

*wipes tear away*

So beautiful.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I probably do, though I couldn't actually tell you which song is America's national anthem. But if they started playing it, I'd know the words.

I'm much better at God Save the Queen, the Marseilles, O Canada, and Mawtini (the national anthem of Iraq, as decided by the American government and stolen from the Palestinians).

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yes, I do.

Many people in my country only know the first few strophes. Once, during an sport event, they decided to play in whole, and most people got lost about midway into it.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
You bet your ass I know the words. I was the first person to stand up and the last person to sit down when they came on during School. I remember one day there was a new girl, and she didn't stand up, and I was like "HEY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING??" and they said "Oh, my religion says I can't stand u-" so I said "THEN GET THE HELL OUT!" and kicked their chair over...

I got suspended for two weeks.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
White Lightning said:
You bet your ass I know the words. I was the first person to stand up and the last person to sit down when they came on during School. I remember one day there was a new girl, and she didn't stand up, and I was like "HEY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING??" and they said "Oh, my religion says I can't stand u-" so I said "THEN GET THE HELL OUT!" and kicked their chair over...

I got suspended for two weeks.
Curse you, Poe's Law! I seriously cannot tell if this is a joke or not.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
If I weren't so lazy I would post the Onion video about the dance that is supposed to accompany the Star Spangled Banner but it isn't worth the effort.

Yes, I do know the US national anthem, although I don't really need to since it only seems to matter at sporting events which I do not attend.

Libra

Feb 4, 2012
Lord no. Our national anthem makes no sense anyway, considering it talks more about the Germans and the Spanish than it does about the Dutch