Poll: Do you know the words to your national anthem?

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Other: I knew it completely once, now I could sing the start and the ending but not the middle parts of the Brabançonne.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
Zontar said:
Yep, I know my anthem in English, French, and the mixed version. Helps that it's a little more simple and has a slower tempo then most though.
Another Canuck? =D

(Yeah I know mine, in both languages even!)

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
If you're trying to sniff out the commies then don't worry: I'm cool.

Oct 2, 2012
Noooope! I don't even remember the name of The United States' national anthem anymore! Last time I was forced to sing it was when I was 8.
I still remember the Pledge of Allegiance though, mostly because we were forced to at least listen to it all the way until high school.

Merrik Waters

Oct 31, 2009
I know the USA's national anthem right up to the point where I have to sing it aloud. Then all hell breaks loose. Its not a pretty sight.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Nope. I don't even think Scotland has a national anthem, so we just use the English one.

Something about saving the Queen from ninjas.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Most of it, but not all.

There's a lot of verses and mostly they don't get used.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Thanks to high school I learned the Star Spangled Banner whether I wanted to or not.(America's)
I also know Canada's (O Canada)
Also I know God Save the Queen (which while technically NOT a national anthem is commonly called England's from what I hear).

Thank you to hockey for teaching me O Canada.

Anja Bech

Mar 20, 2013
Muspelheim said:
Anja Bech said:
Yes of course I do, I've heard is so unbelievably many times. "Der er et yndigt land" (there is a beautiful country/land). It makes me all patriotic. No, not really, but it's a nice song and I happen to know all of it, not just the bits you sing at foot ball matches. :p
Ah, that one! I wish I knew it, I am a shameful display of a Nordic... Damn neat tune, nonetheless. Ought to pick it up some day.
Yes, you will now be punished by having pickled white herring thrown at you by blonde busty women.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Mae hen gwlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri
Erh... uhh... hmm... urruurrhh... ahh... uhh...

GWLAD, GWLAD,
PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD

I used to know all of it at one point but as a person that doesn't frequent rugby matches, the lyrics have mostly evaporated from my memory.

Ytomyth

Nov 13, 2011
I'm ashamed to admit that I have not been able (and willing) to memorise the 15 verses of the Dutch national anthem. xD

It's usually just the first one that's sung, I know that one, and, for some reason; the sixth.

Phlap

Jun 1, 2011
I'm dual-nationality and I don't know the words to either of "my" national anthems.

National anthems are a weird concept anyway. I'd love to know the history behind them and how they were introduced. (By which I mean I actually have only very little interest, and despite having free access to the greatest collection of human knowledge ever conceived, I'll probably never look it up.)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I know the first line to "God Save the Queen", and even then that;s only because most of it is in the title. Like most of the English, I hate the national anthem and want to see it changed. I'm in the "Jerusalem" camp, not withstanding the unfortunate title.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Mostly, but that's the usual first couple verses. Tehnically it has nine, but I haven't personally been present when all those have been done...

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
I know the Barbadian national anthem which is the place I am currently living but not Belizean national anthem which is my place of origin. I am a not a true nationalist /jk.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I know the first verse.

I wasn't aware until I was maybe 30 that it has something like seventeen verses. Only one is normally played, presumably for reasons of sanity.

Is it important to know? Not in the slightest.

Do I know others? No, though I recognize maybe a dozen from the music.