Poll: Do you know the words to your national anthem?

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009
sky14kemea said:
Nnnnnope.

The only bit I know is the "God save the Queen" bit. I've purposely not read the other English reply above me so I don't accidentally learn it.
But, how did you know it was a British reply without reading it? hehe

OT: Sort of: I know the short version they use for sporting events (which is just the first verse I believe,) but I don't know the rest of the British anthem.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I used to think I did, but then everybody I saw singing it on TV always seemed to think that the word "Oh" has multiple syllables. So maybe I was thinking of the wrong song.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Guilion said:
So yeah, I do know the short version but the long one is very tiresome. As for the other questions, no, I don't think it's important to know the anthem of your nation as governments use it as a means of propaganda these days anyways (The second song Mexican children sing every Monday is the most droning thing I've heard in my entire life). And yes, I do know another anthem, the USA anthem.

I blame this ad that was usually broadcasted around the time of Toonami:

Man, I hate 4kids.
4kids is kinda shit... But you have to admit that's hilarious, especially Master Splinter.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I only know this much:

God save our gracious Queen!
Long live our noble Queen!
God save The Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save The Queen!

So I think, yes?

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Yes, we were forced to sing it every day during the morning announcements in Elementary school, and say the Pledge, I hated it, American, just as a note.
Now I don't even think about singing it, nor do I ever have to stand for that goddamned pledge again, hell, I stopped standing for the pledge some time during High School.
-Grumbles-

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Well, the dutch national anthem has 17 parts only two of which are ever sung and only one of which I know. Not that our national anthem makes any sense anyway. It just goes on about loyalty to german blood, the spanish king and god, none of which have much to do with our national identity. At least its better than the national anthem from a 100 or so years back which spoke of 'pure blood'. Indeed, most national anthems I've heard just made very little sense to me.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
Canadian here. Yes I know our national anthem. Don't know it in French though. Between singing it every morning in school and hearing it all the time at the start of hockey games, it's pretty much permanently drilled into my brain.

As a random aside, Calixa Lavallée (the composer of the actual music for O Canada) wasn't nationalistic at all. He actually advocated for the US and Canada to be one nation.

wait, they were actually make you sing the anthem in school ? wow, English school is weird...

i know the complete version of the french one, all 4 verses.

as a more random aside, Oh canada, full french version, is a song about the supremacy of the catholic Church and the greatness of the french canadian people. quite ironic that it become the national anthem

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
cathou said:
RedDeadFred said:
Canadian here. Yes I know our national anthem. Don't know it in French though. Between singing it every morning in school and hearing it all the time at the start of hockey games, it's pretty much permanently drilled into my brain.

As a random aside, Calixa Lavallée (the composer of the actual music for O Canada) wasn't nationalistic at all. He actually advocated for the US and Canada to be one nation.

wait, they were actually make you sing the anthem in school ? wow, English school is weird...

i know the complete version of the french one, all 4 verses.
It depends on the school really. I think it's quite common in elementary schools since they want young kids to grow up knowing the anthem. It seems to be significantly less common in high schools and even middle schools (from what I've seen while subbing at a variety of schools).

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
*Ahem*

"God save our gracious queen, God save our [something] queen. God save the queen!

Send her victorious, and [something something something]..."

Not well. The UK's national anthem really blows, though. It's a complete dirge, and lacks even a compelling sentiment.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Der er et yndigt land,
det står med bræde bøge,
nær salten øster strand, nær salten øster strand.
Det bugter sig i bakke, dal, det hedder gamle Danmark,
og det er Frejas sal, og det er Frejas sal.

Vort gamle Danmark skal bestå,
så længe bøgen spejler
sin top i bølgen blå,
sin top i bølgen blå.

And that's the short version, sung at Football games. The longer version is here.

Actually, Denmark is one of the few countries with two national anthems.

The other one is the Royal Anthem called Kong Christian Stod ved Højen Mast.
It's a bit more militaristic, while "Der er et yndigt land" was more peaceful.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
I think. I know some of it at least. But I have no emotional sentiment for it or for the country I live in. I don't make the rules, I just work here.

BarrelsOfDouche

Apr 5, 2008
Of course I do! How could I forget after that movie?

"AMERICA, F*** YEAH! COMIN' AGAIN TO SAVE THE MOTHERF***IN' DAY YEAH!"

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Does just knowing the first verse count? I'd say most from the U.S know the first verse of The Star Spangled Banner, but all the others? Forget about it. I used to know them all when I was in choir, but they've since left my brain except for the first verse.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
It's a fairy short simple song that when I was a kid had to be sung every morning at school. They seemed to have stopped doing that sometime in the late 80s.

Well Ok strictly speaking Canada has 2 anthems. I know "O Canada" not as sure about "God Save the Queen."

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
"Australians all let us rejoice for we are young and free"
Uh, I think toil gets rhymed with soil, then "our home is girt by sea". In this context girt means surrounded.

That's about it. Although I grew up in New Zealand and never had to sing the Oz national anthem. But I only remember about two lines of the NZ anthem.

I think I'll vote no.

DizzyChuggernaut said:
Mae hen gwlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri
Erh... uhh... hmm... urruurrhh... ahh... uhh...

GWLAD, GWLAD,
PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD

I used to know all of it at one point but as a person that doesn't frequent rugby matches, the lyrics have mostly evaporated from my memory.
Your anthem is in R'lyehian?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Not the whole thing no, the parts before/after a match of IceHockey or when winning a medal, yes :p

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
It's in a language I don't speak. :D

EDIT:
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Mae hen gwlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri
Erh... uhh... hmm... urruurrhh... ahh... uhh...

GWLAD, GWLAD,
PLEIDIOL WYF I'M GWLAD

I used to know all of it at one point but as a person that doesn't frequent rugby matches, the lyrics have mostly evaporated from my memory.
I knew the 'Mae hen' part, but I always pronounce 'gwlad' as 'Vlad', and then start thinking about Castlevania and get it just goes downhill from there.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
SmallHatLogan said:
Your anthem is in R'lyehian?
It may or may not be ;)

KenAri said:
I knew the 'Mae hen' part, but I always pronounce 'gwlad' as 'Vlad', and then start thinking about Castlevania and get it just goes downhill from there.
I get confused about whether it's "gwlad" or "wlad" because Welsh has a mutation system. It makes sentences flow better but the rules are pretty strict.

Doesn't help that it's been almost five years since I last spoke the language frequently.