Poll: Do you like or dislike the Marvel movies?

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Title says it all. Although the Marvel movies have largely been commercial and critical successes, I know there are just as many people out there who dislike them a great deal for various reasons, like their dislike of continuity in movies or treating some films as, and I quote, "overblown trailers for future movies".

So I'd like to know your feelings on them. Do you like them? Dislike them? Or something in-between?

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
Well, I definitely love 'em. I mean, beyond just the shooty-smashy action (which is great as well), it's satisfying to see all these films build themselves on genuine characterization and not fall into the trap of being too serious to have any fun.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm a fan of them and generally approve of them. They help more, I guess un-nerdy people, get into the more unknown superheroes/superheroines who are really awesome. I'll admit, they got me to start buying comic books.

The movies themselves are usually not bad as well. I don't personally care for all of them, I think Iron Man and the first Captain America were a little boring, but I love Thor, Avengers, and GOG.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Nice thing for me is that it lets me enjoy these characters without having to read all the information about one character for a comic. That also becomes an advantage so if something from a comic doesn't happen, I'm not disappointed since I know nothing about it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Liked since to me they'e what make the summer movies great again!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Like them.
Both as movies of their own and as part of a series.
When I first heard about it I thought it was a fun concept, never really read comics though, so I thought it might become like a underground movement or something. Then Iron Man happened and everything after that is history!
But yeah, I enjoy them :)

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Like them. They know enough about the source material to not take themselves to seriously yet respect the same material enough not to offend fans of and remain somewhat accesable to the non-comic audience.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Overall, they're great. Even the "bad" ones are significantly better than most of what Hollywood shits out these days. What Marvel is doing is mostly unprecedented, and they're fucking killing it. They truly deserve the mass love and praise they get.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
To be honest, I just don't care anymore.

I've finally started reading comics, basically for the first time ever, but that hasn't done anything to change my opinion that comic book continuity is the most insane thing you could ever hope to see created in popular culture, and I don't care about that being brought into movie culture.

I watched Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, and The Avengers, and they were all fine (though Captain America was a bit dull and montage-y), but after The Avengers I just got drained of all the energy I had for expressing any sort of interest due to the collective orgasm the internet seemed to have over it. Chock it up to anti-hype or whatever, but the way nerds are reacting to the Marvel Cineverse just boggles my mind.

midgetspoot

Apr 30, 2013
I think you're asking the wrong audience. Whatever the results of the poll are won't be very representative of people in general becuase I'd bet that there is a very strong overlap of the people who like the escapist and the people who like the MCU movies; likewise I'd bet that most people who don't like the movies will have never even heard of the escapist.

Personally, I'm to the point of "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" to anything in the MCU I've been so impressed by everything. Heck, I'm the guy who actually likes Iron Man 2.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
midgetspoot said:
I think you're asking the wrong audience. Whatever the results of the poll are won't be very representative of people in general becuase I'd bet that there is a very strong overlap of the people who like the escapist and the people who like the MCU movies; likewise I'd bet that most people who don't like the movies will have never even heard of the escapist.

Personally, I'm to the point of "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" to anything in the MCU I've been so impressed by everything. Heck, I'm the guy who actually likes Iron Man 2.
I hear you there. I enjoyed the hell out of IM2, moreso than IM3. They really are killing it. I thought Guardians might be the one to really let me down, but nope, clear sailing. Everything looked great, the dialogue had some wit and even the most cliche scenes actually worked because the movie had heart. Every time I think "Yeah, Marvel's had a good run, but this might be the one to fail," I end up enjoying the movie even more than its predecessors.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I find watching them to be vaguely enjoyable, but I also find them pretty forgettable.

They're decent movies though.

Haven't seen Guardians yet.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I haven't seen one I dislike. I even enjoyed the "bad" ones like Iron Man 2. I suspect I'll skip Ant Man if it ever comes out, though. I don't think Marvel could make me interested in that without large quantities of cash trading hands.

shrekfan246 said:
I've finally started reading comics, basically for the first time ever, but that hasn't done anything to change my opinion that comic book continuity is the most insane thing you could ever hope to see created in popular culture, and I don't care about that being brought into movie culture.
You should try soap operas. Seriously, the continuity in that shit will make even a dedicated comic book nerd's head spin. If they had super hero soaps that ran for anywhere near as long as comics, they'd be even more insane.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I like most of them. I liked the first Iron Man but I didn't really like the 2nd and 3rd. I like both Thor's but with first one I spent the entire move with the feeling that most things were slightly off and could have been done better. Some of the acting, especially when characters were yelling made me laugh. I like Captain America well enough though it dragged a bit. I liked the Avengers. I though Hulk was meh though I don't really like the character anyway. I haven't seen The Winter Solider or Guardians of the Galaxy yet. GotG looks fun so I probably will see that in the theatre when it comes out here.

I'm not a big fan of any of them but I'm just not that into movies in general and they are more interesting than most movies.

WashAran

Jun 28, 2012
Are we at that point where it is cool to dislike the marvel movies?
With the recent reactions from SDCC, it might finally be here!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I would put myself firmly in the "Like" category, though I would also say that I actually don't love most of them. There's something about them that just feels sort of disposable to me, like if I look back on them 30 years from now I'll barely remember any of the details.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
More than just "like" them.

They're pretty much the only films I even bother with anymore. Batman let me down, Superman let me down, Spider-Man is no longer fun, X-men had it's moments but has about as much bad stuff as good and Fantastic Four is going to be a found footage dark and gritty reboot.

And if that weren't enough, Star Wars and Star Trek have morphed into something I don't feel a kinship with anymore as well. Even my mainstay, Friday the 13th, is rumored to be switching to a found footage style gimmick for it's 2015 release. A gimmick that will add nothing to a series that is all about rooting for the villain rather than the tools who will presumably be holding the camera.

Marvel's films may be a bit formulaic, but by a wide margin they are the only "geek" films I care about at all anymore.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Love'em.
And i can now understand people better, that don't know the base material of something and get annoyed at people that did.
I read a lot and am usually on the side of the people that know the books stuff is based of.
But some complaints of the comic books readers about the marvel movies get a bit annoying.
Not, Iron Man 3 is not the "Worst movie EVAAAAR"

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
It's less about disliking the Marvel movies and more about disliking comic books in general. They're lazy writing with bland characters and bland stories.

zhoominator

Jan 30, 2010
It's difficult to generalise really. I liked some and disliked others. I thought Thor 1 & 2 were okay, I thought IM2 was pretty lackluster and that Avengers wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable for me the second time around.

On the other hand, my favourites seem to be the ones other people didn't like. I loved both Captain America movies and adore Iron Man 3 (moreover, I'm the dick who will happily tell any comic fan that rants about how bad the twist was that they "just don't get it").

Haven't seen GotG yet but will hopefully do so this weekend.