Poll: Do you like the British Royal Family?

Spaggiari

Jan 28, 2009
There really should be an option in this poll for non British people for whom The Queen is still their country's sovereign. I for one am Canadian and not British but the Queen of the UK is also the Queen of Canada and the rest of the Commonwealth realms. I have difficulty, therefore, choosing one of these options.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
I'm OK with them existing. They bring in tourism and don't have much political power, and if Parliament does go completely loopy, at least the royals will be somewhat sane.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I voted non-British and NO, but I do not dislike them. Sure if I was British and I knew the ridiculous amounts of tax money they get, I would be annoyed. On the other hand, for all the money they take, it seems they bring in just as much to even the large amounts enough. They seem nice enough personally, so if they can be a force for good, I don't see too much of a problem for their existence.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
wolfyrik said:
Edward the viii, is a good example. That guy wanted to help the poor and marry a woman he loved. Edward was outspoken on the rights of the masses and he was kicked out by the politicians for his trouble.
The result; the weak willed, pointless, useless shower that now inhabits the throne and enthralls inbred idiots across the nation. They're not something to be proud, they are something to be ashamed of and embarrassed by.
Edward VIII was a royal to be proud of.
Just wondering, did you know about Edward VIII's connection to the Nazi party? He wasn't really anyone to look up to.
Single Shot said:
Firstly. Britain had already had a civil war by the time of King George III and the land in question was given to him as part of the deal that ended the war and installed what would slowly become our democratic system. So that video is false, the land is legitimately and legally owned by the Royal family.
Slight point of pedantry here, but the Civil Wars (technically there were 2) ended with the execution of Charles I and the abolition of the monarchy. While I don't know for certain, Charles II would have acquired the old royal lands during the resoration after Cromwell's death, when it was deceided to ignore the preceding 19 years. There was no deal to give him back land, just to be King again like his father and grandfather.

OT: Don't care about them, just wish the media would shut up about them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not really but I don't loathe them.
While I can understand some people obsession toward celebrity due to their talents like acting, drawing, painting or just being good at writing, what talent do the royal family have? Having a rich heritage doesn't count as that "heritage" no longer bear any weight in this modern society. At best they are just an attraction for the tourist.
Granted at least most of the royal families don't do nothing like one of them is in the army so they not just a waste of space well money grabbing attnetion.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
As others have said, I don't have anything in particular against them. But the institution of monarchy in general, especially in this day and age, as indeed quite silly. Having a great leader for an ancestor doesn't confer leadership ability to you, at all, and yet this backwards assumption is what the very institution of a royal family is based around.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
MorphingDragon said:
The Royal Family still owns the land is pretty much the gist.

I hate that video.

Yes, the queen technically "owns" the crown estate.

You know what else the queen technically owns? Here's a clue.

If the queen owns the crown estate, then she also owns the UK's national debt. All £1,300 billion of it, costing £43 billion a year in interest.

Frankly, if she wants to keep her own shit on the day we all finally see sense and get rid of the monarchy, that's fine by me.

In a monarchy, at least in a traditional European monarchy like ours, all public institutions are technically the property of the monarch. Since we are a constitutional monarchy, this does not mean that the monarchy actually has any legal claim to ownership. It's simply the confusing result of the historical fact that we have no state. As Louis XIV once put it, the monarch is the state.

The first task of any new republic would be to legally change that by creating a state distinct from the monarch. The monarch in that situation would have very little claim to the crown estate.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
English and honestly couldn't care less about them. I'm pretty sure we just keep them around for the novelty of it and that's just very english of us. But then again at the end of the day I'm not patriotic at all so I don't see what reason I have to like or dislike them, they're just a novelty.

tysonn101

Mar 10, 2012
Im english and i love the monarchy!
I think they make us different from loads of other countries and they do loads for the country, and we make money off them, plus MORE HOLIDAYS!

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Binnsyboy said:
Well, we're objectively better off with them, and people would see that if they were properly informed. So yes, I suppose I like them.

I think that baby and its newly made parents deserve some fucking peace, though.
Ah, finally a little sense. I was beginning to get slightly ragey for a second.

I have nothing against them, and I appreciate that they bring in a degree of tourism, and also give the British public something to be cheerful about on occasion. This is good, happy people are spending people, and if they're buying bunting, and souvenirs of whatever occasion it is much better than them being grumpy. Of course some people are going to hate, but then they only see the negatives that get very much highlighted on a fairly regular basis.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Sleekit said:
like them ? sure.

the thing about the British monarchy is its insidious.

let me explain;

you will see a little baby in your media at some point soon and most of you international folks probably won't see much of said chap until he gets married or someone dies...

but in Britain we will see him grow up from a baby into a child, into teenager, into a young adult, into a man.

we will (almost) see his first steps to his last.

whether we are "interested" or not.

and that does a curious thing; you think you know them.

they become as familiar as maybe one of of your childrens friends.

they are always "around", you hear who they are going out with, you hear when they get in trouble, you hear their exam results, you see them grow up, you get tossed an invite (of sorts) to their wedding and you hear when they have babys...

and when you know (or think you know) a person personally you care about them.

and the modern monarchy plays a looooong game in that respect.

but most of the world doesn't see it bar big events.

this is why you can barely find an adult republican in the UK who doesn't caveat their republican stance with a fleeting acknowledgement of partial affection or appreciation for the royal family.
You're right. It is insidious. The thought of being born into fame without any say in the matter makes my stomach turn, especially with all the awfulness that comes with being famous nowadays. Maybe it won't be so bad when the world finally outlaws celebrity gossip and all the world's paparazzi and tabloid producers are put to death.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Not british and really don't care about them. I'm sure they're swell people but they're just figureheads. They have no power but have a lot of money. Good for them? Leave the monarchy just as long as they never have power again.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Galletea said:
Binnsyboy said:
Well, we're objectively better off with them, and people would see that if they were properly informed. So yes, I suppose I like them.

I think that baby and its newly made parents deserve some fucking peace, though.
Ah, finally a little sense. I was beginning to get slightly ragey for a second.

I have nothing against them, and I appreciate that they bring in a degree of tourism, and also give the British public something to be cheerful about on occasion. This is good, happy people are spending people, and if they're buying bunting, and souvenirs of whatever occasion it is much better than them being grumpy. Of course some people are going to hate, but then they only see the negatives that get very much highlighted on a fairly regular basis.
Yeah, the tourism. And on top of that, having a Prince, or what have you to send as an ambassador to things > Prime Minister, or other politician in terms of prestige.

On top of that, having a good minded, politically neutral figure mediating legislation (though the Royal Family hasn't exercised its veto in living memory) is much better than making it an election position for people to jockey for votes over.

MOST importantly, the argument that they leech off the country is totally false.

They do take a small amount off in taxation, but it's a ridiculously low amount per person per year. What you pay the Royals in a year is roughly what you'd spend on a trip to the shop to buy yourself a tasty treat or something. And the reason the Royals receive a tax payment is because they give us the Crown Estate, which they have the legal right to take the rent for back at any point. Them having the Crown Estate means the government (by Royal choice) gets all its rent, not private landowners. And it should be noted that the net rent from the Crown Estate is several times that which the Royals are given in tax money per year. So by this last point alone, we're hugely profiting directly from the Royal family.

Bam. God save the mother fucking Queen.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Hmmm i don't have anything in particular against them what i do have a problem with is the way the media in general and the BBC specifically lose their shit over them. If you have a channel called the news channel i want to watch news not royal baby related shit on a loop.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:
Nope. Not British and have no idea what their deal is. Also apparently they get tax money. Why? Are they that vital to the country?
They attract alot of tourist cash. There probably a net-gain for the country. And given our finances aren't great (but still better than the Greek and Italian's) it'd be bad to get rid of any net positive.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
I'm Dutch and I think it's kind of cool we have a king, I'm indifferent to the British Royal family, I just hate how big of a deal the media makes out of it.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Honestly I love having a royal family, its part of our national identity and one of our little quirks. Also I love when I hear about how evil and horrible it is we have a royal family from people on the dole who never plan to get a job.

I don't want my country to be bland and boring, I like our strange weird ways and the royal family is part of that.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Not British and I don't see any reason to care for them one way or the other. Despite the clarification in the OP I still want a poll option for those of us who really don't give a fuck because those of us who don't care are lumped together with those who do care. Quite a big distinction actually.