Poll: Do you like the British Royal Family?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm American and consequently fall under the stereotype of rarely having an opinion about anything that happens outside of my country.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I have no reason to either dislike or like them.

I do, however, experience moments where I feel bad for them. That baby that was just born will never have a private moment in his entire life, just because he was born in the royal family. Sure, he'll have a silver spoon in his mouth the whole way, but he'll have the gigantic microscope of the world media analyzing every little thing he does, and picking apart every little mistake he makes. Poor kid.

drthmik

Jul 29, 2011
MorphingDragon said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Nah, fucking leeches living off taxpayers. Can't believe the Brits are still putting up with them.

EDIT: For the record I hate royalty in general. Did any of you guys catch the news about that idiot Spanish king shooting endangered wildlife in Africa while Spain goes through the worst economic crisis the country has ever suffered, with an unemployment rate of over 20%? Fucking pests, all of them.
The Royal Family still owns the land is pretty much the gist.

HA! if nobody posted this I was going to
and there's no option for "I could not possibly care less"

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Royalty is important because it is the right way to set up a country. A president is just a person that doesn't really matter; that is why people try to kill them all the time. We have had 4 presidents assassinated and pretty much every president has had people try to kill them. But royalty is more important and better than most normal people, they have a degree of dignity that makes assassins step back and say 'lets not do this;' because killing them is something different where they see the majesty of royalty before them and they are too in awe to try and kill them.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I don't know if I hate them but I don't like them so to speak. In that i don't really know what there purpose is if they don't run the country. Moral I guess?

(non-British FYI)

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Phasmal said:
Needs more options.
I'm British and...
I mean, it's a little annoying people won't shut up about them when something happens in their lives. But you sort of learn to live with it here.
I'm an American...and I'd like to echo both this sentiment and the video clip conveying it.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Can't really vote on the poll because I don't like them, but I don't "not like" them either. There is no particular reason to hate someone just because millions of other people have decided to put them on a pedestal and think royal blood is still relevant in the 21st century.
It's not the royal family's fault. They can't just "shut down" (i.e. tell the public+media to fuck off and stop giving them so much importance) because that will make them look cowardly, and it would break a lot of people's hearts.

I simply don't care about the royal family, and that's how most people on these forums will feel. They are nothing more than a tourist attraction, a group of extremely rich celebrities that occasionally do stuff for charity. Which is cool n' stuff, but I'm really just not interested, just completely indifferent.

It is a bit annoying how much the media is focusing on them though. I don't know whether the media is doing it on it's own accord, or whether it's simply giving the millions of fans what they want, or whether it's a combination of both.
I can't imagine the media giving attention to the royal family "just for the heck of it", there has to be a HUGE amount of interest from the regular public (read: American) that are giving views to the news reports and are hungry for more.

Mycroft Holmes said:
Royalty is important because it is the right way to set up a country. A president is just a person that doesn't really matter; that is why people try to kill them all the time. We have had 4 presidents assassinated and pretty much every president has had people try to kill them. But royalty is more important and better than most normal people, they have a degree of dignity that makes assassins step back and say 'lets not do this;' because killing them is something different where they see the majesty of royalty before them and they are too in awe to try and kill them.

...sorry, that's the only response I could manage to the insanity in that post.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
To everyone that thinks the royal family costs us money.. you're wrong. They generate it.

That said, I couldn't care less about them so i suppose no, I don't like them. I nothing them.

Prince Harry is good for a laugh though.

drthmik

Jul 29, 2011
Mycroft Holmes said:
You should try reading some history before you make claims that are not true

Feb 9, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
I'm Canadian and while I don't DISlike them I am kind of sick and tired of hearing about them. Like really, I don't give a shit about Kate and her STUPID baby.
I feel the same way. The U.S. news is just...spewing out article after article about that damned baby. I don't dislike them since I don't know anything about them, but I swear, if I hear "royal baby" one more time I'm going to punch a baby. <_<

The news really needs to take a break from this stuff.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
canadamus_prime said:
I'm Canadian and while I don't DISlike them I am kind of sick and tired of hearing about them. Like really, I don't give a shit about Kate and her STUPID baby.
I feel the same way. The U.S. news is just...spewing out article after article about that damned baby. I don't dislike them since I don't know anything about them, but I swear, if I hear "royal baby" one more time I'm going to punch a baby. <_<

The news really needs to take a break from this stuff.
I wish it was just US news. I'm sitting here in NZ and even less inclined to give a shit about any of that, but local news channels they STILL end up dedicating large chunks of time to the royal family.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
drthmik said:
Mycroft Holmes said:
You should try reading some history before you make claims that are not true
Actually that's a sarcastic piece of satire, I just can't put my finger on where I've read it before but it was used by some total pillock in his attempt to make the United Kingdom - when it had a powerful monarchy - seem "better" than the United States.

I think it was an Australian film, I just can't put my finger on where I heard it before.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
I'm Canadian, and I actually do like the British Royal Family. Lots of people say they're outdated, and I agree whole-heartedly. That's the exact reason WHY I like them. They're a leftover from another time, they're essentially a living fossil. I appreciate them the same way you appreciate an exhibit in a museum. I look at them kind of like a miraculously still living dinosaur. I don't really care about the people in the family, or what they do and don't actually do, but just the fact that they still exist in some capacity amazes me and I'll actually be sad when they're finally gone.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Also, when did the British royal family become the royal family of Earth?
Ever since Britain was the master of the colonies. That means Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, etc, all have official diplomatic allegience with Her Majesty.

It... doesn't bother me. At all. I actually like them, from what I've seen in the tabloids.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mycroft Holmes said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=royal+assasination&title=Special%3ASearch

And need we remind you of French Revolution "Let's behead the king and queen" or the Russian Revolution "Let's shoot the adolescent princess in her f***ing head"?

Those are even MORE bold statements against monarchy than individual assassins, because revolutions are powered by a whackload of people.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
carlsberg export said:
Maybe there should be a 'neutral' option?
I consider 'neutral' to be under the heading 'don't like' as in 'don't care for'.

'Don't like' doesn't mean the same as 'I hate' in this case.

Sorry for the lack of clarification.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
American here and I dislike the whole idea. Its like those billionaires who hide all their money away in tax havens, except these guys can do it out in the open. Seriously, they get money and a freaking palace for doing NOTHING at all.