Poll: Do you listen to rap?

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
Just curious as to whether The Escapist is a fan of rap or not. I used to listen to the odd bit here and there, though I've been getting a bit more into it lately. Mos Def (who apparently goes by a different name now?) and Blue Scholars in particular are personal favourites. Can't seem to get History out of my head lately.

I've also found this Jon Connor guy recently. I've only listened to a couple of songs but I'm really liking him so far.

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
Not as much as I used to. I don't actively seek rap music out, but when I find some songs that I like I'll download them. The kind of rap I'm exposed to on a regular basis is the kind that usually have materialistic subjects and I don't care for those.

If I had to pick who my favorite rappers are, I'd say Lupe Fiasco and Andre 3000.

Oct 10, 2011
I answered yes, even though theres only ONE rap I have ever heard that I like, and it's only half rap. Miracle of Sound- Blood of the Creed.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Some. I don't really like the stuff that's insulting or abusive, just bragging, or rapping about partying.

I really like Andre Nikatina though

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
If I hear a song and it sounds good, yeah, sure. Rap is something of an art I used to hate, but now I kind of enjoy, especially when it comes from the musicians who do something with the rap form rather then talk about blind excess, which is pretty average in Rap music.

Now, the song "Juicy" by The Notorious BIG did it right, and it's quite a cool song. So, short answer: Sometimes.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Like the other people that have posted already, every now and then.

Lupe Fiasco is really good, and I've always liked Eminem (have to say I prefer his more serious, newer stuff than that whole "Slim Shady" thing though).

I've listened to a few rap-rock bands, like older Linkin Park or Papa Roach, or Hollywood Undead or Reveille.

Vault101 showed me a guy who's pretty damn good, too.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Yes. There's a lot of good stuff, once you wade through the mountains of shite. The same as any other genre of music really.

Nas is probably my favorite.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
I used to have a weird stigma against rap when I was younger, as I tried to fit with my friends, who were goths and had a weird theory that rap would immediately turn you into a chav.

But then I listened to some rap and to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it!. So yes, I'd consider myself a fan of rap. Then again, I like most musical genres when they're done well.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
No , i don't, but i don't listen to music period. Also i have a feeling that 99% of people on the escapist hates rap and thinks it's "nigga" music , but only a handful would actually admit that.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Yeah, but nearly as much as I listen to metal. The only Rappers I've seen live are immortal technique, lowkey, poisen pen, and some others at immortal's recent Brixton concert.

Personally, I like Immortal Technique, lowkey, tech n9ne, and rage against the machine

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Most recently I've been hooked onto Power by Kanye West, beautiful song, and Thriftshop by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis so yes, I do like rap music.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Yes, 98% of the time the lyrics are beyond stupid and ignorant always talking about ether money, drugs, girls, or things that make absolutely no sense. The 1% of rappers rap about hardship and working hard to obtain their goals while trying to stay true to themselves (50 Cent, and Eminem for example). But I sill love those beats...

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
I personally think it's a God awful form of music that often involves stealing a better musician's work and talking over it. Like an annoying fucker at a cinema talking over the film.

I do, however, appreciate that some of them are freakin' good at what they do. But then again, I remember going to Bunraku and quite frankly being driven insane with boredom. Again, I appreciate the skill of the puppeteers and their mastery of the human-ish movements of the puppets ... but with a fucking terrible story it's still going to bore me shitless. And I think that's the issue for me - the subject matter ain't for me.

Jamie Oliver cooking a turd is still a turd on a plate at the end, no matter how much olive oil is involved.

YuberNeclord

Jul 15, 2012
I go through fazes with my music(for instance, there was a period where I only listened to punk music), I'm mostly a heavy metal/rock kind of a guy but I've listened to a bit of rap over the years.
I like NWA and some of the solo stuff Dr Dre and Ice Cube have done. I also liked some of Eminem's stuff, mostly the Marshal Mathers lp.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Not much. The only rap I listen to on occasion is old school gangster rap, such as N.W.A, Compton's Most Wanted and Snoop Dogg's debut. I find that stuff incredibly fun to listen to, but also nostalgic as my cousin used to play N.W.A's Straight Outta Compton all the time. I haven't really listened to anything past the time of Tupac and Eazy E's deaths though.

rayman56

Mar 14, 2012
The only rapper I personally like is E-Dubble. I'd like to thank StraightUpKnifes for introducing me to him. My favorite song by him is "Drinking With My Headphones On." It's really good, and I highly suggest you listen to it.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
I was working on a big compendium of rap/hip hop to post here on the escapist forums. it has tons of songs and brief overviews. but i gave up because it seemed pointless and it started to unravel because of the sheer volume of sub genres and such.

i've always been dismayed by the outright rejection of the genre on many video game sites.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Mos Def-initely :)

Lecrae is a particular favourite of mine, he's got an amazing flow, but I also like Kanye est, Tinie Tempah, Swoope, Canon, Jay-Z, Common, and No Malice, among others.