Poll: Do you need a life? (Don't kill me)

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Well I already have a life. If you want to know if I'm a well rounded person, well, I don't have a criminal record, I don't litter, I have a Master's Degree, I'm not overweight, I don't drink or do drugs, I read a new book every week or two and I keep up on politics and I have had good jobs. So I don't need to "get" a "life". My life is fine. I play video games as a hobby - maybe an hour or two a day on week-days and about 4 to 5 hours on week-ends. It's better than getting drunk in a pub somewhere. Now THAT'S a real waste of money and a real hazard to your health. But no one complains that bar hounds need to "get a life".

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
wackymon said:
So, tell me, do you need a life?
Edit: You as an individual?
Sure ! Mine is shi**y right now, but hell, it won't be like this forever.
And the things i saw and did until now... Yeah, despite problems life is great.

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
well, I done finished high-school and about to join the army, I'm in a band, and I fully participate in a competitive-sport as part of a team, which means at least twice a week I have practices...
plus, I have a close group of friends who the reason I dont get to meet more-often is almost always because most are either working or busy with something else...

so no, I'd say my life is pretty full as is...

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Where's the middle ground to this poll? I play too many videogames and spend too much time on the computer, but I also go out at least 2-3 times a week on top of going to uni. I play guitar and drive, pop down a pub regularly and walk tot he shop each week. I could do with a little more fresh air and a little less gaming but overall, I'm satisfied.

Middle ground for me, Yes & No both, but slightly more have than don't have. Anyway, we're all living, right? We all have lives just we're living them differently. I may be attached to a computer all too often but if my prospective computing line of work requires that, what harm could it be?

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
I find the whole question offensive.
Please do hit your friend, and tell it's from one of in his view "no-lifers".

Geesh... at least say "Do you like "nerdy" stuff?" Would suit your friend more as well.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
I'm doing a games course at uni.
I hang out with my friends.
I hang out with my girlfriend.
I play games.
I have 943 YouTube subscriptions.

Do I have a life? Yes.
The only people who don't have a life are drug fucked and sitting in their little imaginary worlds. Oh and people who actually don't get off their arse except to get food.

Magnus

Dec 12, 2011
MasochisticAvenger said:
Person A bounces a ball around and can throw it really good. Person B can finish a lot of really difficult video games, and beat everyone in multiplayer.

Person A is a hero worthy of everyone's respect, while Person B has no life and is a scab on society.

Right...
Good point there.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
kinda of one work and school take up a lot of my free time But if it's defined by friends and having a girlfriend Yeah a small one if it's defined by going out and getting drunk nope I don't

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I think people have different definitions of "You have no life", to some people they think that playing video games and have an interest in Manga anime and VNs is pathetic...

Well thats me they're talking about...BUT they have a DAMN problem, Sure I play video games, But I love to do it mostly online with people or with my best friend who have been my best mate for years. My Dad says I should like to go outside, fact is, I do like going outside, to visit the local game store, JB Hi Fi and my mate that live close by. I also have good business connections, about to enter college and go to the gym when I can. Is this really so bad, I mean REALLY, I take care of myself but I do what I enjoy to do.

I see no life as in partying all night, getting drunk/high/smoking, have sex with random girls and passing out in your own pile of vomit, I see that as no life, BUT I have no right to say that since I know nothing about their life outside of that.

So, the thing I am trying to say is that, if you think that you have no life, sure why not, BUT dont EVER let people say that you have no life, your life is yours to live!

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
I could use an extra life. It's always comforting to know that if I die I'd get a second chance 0__0

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
No

I have a full-time job, attend college full-time, live on my own, and hang out with friends. If that's not a "life," I don't know what is.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
wackymon said:
Okay, so, this is not a question that I asked. It is a question my brother asked. You see, I showed him a thread, and he replied, "How many people here have a life?" my response was, "The majority."
His response?
"Wrong! It would be around 25%."
Now, I wish to disprove him. Make him eat his words.

Ask your brother to define "life".
When most people say "get a life", what they really mean is "You should be doing what I do". Also, the people who say this are often the ones who define "having a life" as going out to clubs with shitty music and filled with dumb intoxicated and/or high people, then getting heavily intoxicated and/or high as well, killing several brain cells in the process, and maybe (MAYBE!!!) picking up a one night stand. From an intellectual standpoint, that's death. You're mentally dead while you're "having a life".
I've had that kind of "life" in high school and partially in college and looking back, it was the worst time of my short existence. I always felt like I'm in a zoo when I went to these places and was surrounded by these people.
I'm pretty sure that Stephen Hawking doesn't do much partying, yet I dare to say that he has more of a life than 90% of these "life havers" combined.

Do what brings YOU joy. Don't conform to the idiotic rules of those around you just because they say you should. What's fun for you might not be fun for others and vice versa.
Sure, having friends and people to spend time with in general is good but there are many types of "life" to have and some are mutually exclusive.

Then again, I am the weirdest person I know so I might just be tripping out.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Friends relations and the like are a necessity. A basic need in human life is companionship. Unless by life he means going out and having so much "fun" you can't remember what happened.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
I really do need a life. Telling myself that when Uni starts in February/March/whenever I'll use that opportunity to reinvent myself and become more social. But to be honest, that's probably going to devolve into me being my usual awkward self.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
Mr Somewhere said:
Friends relations and the like are a necessity. A basic need in human life is companionship. Unless by life he means going out and having so much "fun" you can't remember what happened.
In what way is having friends a basic need or a necessity. It's not like having no friends means you are going to die. There are plenty of people who are actually quite fine with their own companionship.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Well, we are gamers, we have plenty lives...

Seriously, I'm 27 years old, computer systems engineer, been working for five years as a programmer, been with my girlfriend for 6 years planning to get married, i have my own videogame rental bussines, if anything i need time off my "life" to have free time.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
MasochisticAvenger said:
Mr Somewhere said:
In what way is having friends a basic need or a necessity. It's not like having no friends means you are going to die. There are plenty of people who are actually quite fine with their own companionship.
True, but speaking for the majority, a life without friends could be a life not worth living. Isolation and contemplation is important too, but not for everybody.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I said yes instead of no, I completely mis-read the question.

I don't need a life, no, because I have one. I have a family of my own, I have friends I see socially in RL as well as talk to on the internet. I've made real life friends and here and I do step in to the real world... a lot.

To me this is a life. Someone could spend hours in front of the PC gaming or talking to people, they could class that as a life. As long as they're genuinely happy about it who cares?

Ulquiorra4sama said:
Eh... i suppose this here applies well
^ Love it.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
MasochisticAvenger said:
Person A bounces a ball around and can throw it really good. Person B can finish a lot of really difficult video games, and beat everyone in multiplayer.

Person A is a hero worthy of everyone's respect, while Person B has no life and is a scab on society.

Right...
Yeah, I've always wondered what the deal with sports is. I guess they increase global morale rather than just your own, because people like watching sports more than they like watching video games, on average.

Anyway, do I have a life, yes. I have a pretty vibrant social life and a lot of hobbies. They're all geeky, both my friends and hobbies, but hey, that's definitely still a life.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
wackymon said:
Okay, so, this is not a question that I asked. It is a question my brother asked. You see, I showed him a thread, and he replied, "How many people here have a life?" my response was, "The majority."
His response?
"Wrong! It would be around 25%."
Now, I wish to disprove him. Make him eat his words.

Everyone has a life and it is theirs to live how they choose.