Poll: Do you object to being called a "gamer"?

Salopian

Jul 12, 2011
Personally I find it quite riling when people say that I'm a "gamer". I like games, but I also like movies and music and books and art and cooking and history and philosophy and lots of other things, but for some reason no one ever objectifies me based on any of these. Instead, I am defined by the fact that I like playing games.

Anyone else?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I'm interested in games, so no, I don't mind being called a gamer. Don't mind being called a gun nut either, even though I only own one. It's not like the name implies a lack of interest in anything else.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
No, because like a lot of things, I choose not to let it bother me. It's just a term used by media rather than "People who play video games and are involved in the culture that is a part of video games". Realx and enjoy your games.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
I call myself a gamer, so it would be a bit hypocritical to object to others calling me that.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Aphex Demon said:
I pride myself in being a gamer :D
Same here, and features like Extra Credits are increasingly convincing me that as a gamer (and yes, I know they don't like that word) I'm ever at the forefront of a massive new medial shift, which is quite exciting.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
I very much see your point, but for me personally, the term "gamer" just feels appropriate. I have a genuine passion for gaming that no other form of art can match, so I have no problem identifying solely with that medium. If I didn't have such a strong preference, I'd agree with your sentiment, though. It's silly to call someone a "gamer" if they have an equal interest in other entertainment types, and it's really only because games aren't considered quite as mainstream as other art forms, so the people who don't play games assume that people who do play games must all fit some sort of neat little stereotype.

Noala

Jun 3, 2010
I think most people on the Escapist watch EC therefore have that EC mindset of being called a gamer so probably no to a lot of people

I don't mind being called a gamer

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Happy to be called a gamer.Anyone can watch a movie or read a book (except maybe the local wildlife in my neighborhood) but when my own parents, and it seems the vast majority of their generation despise games for no apparent reason, it feels good to be different, to see gaming as a good thing.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
No, feel free to call me a gamer, because I am one.
What I do object to is other people being called gamers when they haven't earned that title. See: CoD players.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I find it silly that someone wouldn't call themselves a gamer if they play games. It just happens to be that type of word. Also, it's more of an interactive hobby than watching films or reading books.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Sonicron said:
Aphex Demon said:
Same here, and features like Extra Credits are increasingly convincing me that as a gamer (and yes, I know they don't like that word) I'm ever at the forefront of a massive new medial shift, which is quite exciting.
Exactly. I mean the gaming industry will be bigger than the movie industry, one day, I hope.

Also, I have a life, so I tell my friends I enjoy games thoroughly, they know I play WoW too and I get ripped, haters gonna hate.

(Hilarious)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I object to the Idea behind "girl" gamer....Im not an alien I dont game much differently to any guy

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I can't deny what I am, one way or another. And an overwhelming sense of pride comes over me when I call myself a gamer.

Power to the People!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Aphex Demon said:
Sonicron said:
Aphex Demon said:
Exactly. I mean the gaming industry will be bigger than the movie industry, one day, I hope.
Not sure about that one, but it's certainly a possibility. I mean, just wait another 30 years or so and the planet will be populated by a majority who grew up with video games as a regular pastime. Right now, games are taking the same flak movies and radio had to endure in their early days, but once the self-appointed moral guardians of yesteryear begin to die out in droves, what do you think is going to happen? :)

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Aphex Demon said:
Same here. But it's not like 'gamer' is the only word that describes me. I'm also a writer, a martial artist, an actual artist (to an extent), a MUSE fan, quite severely addicted to Coke and lots of other things.