Poll: Do you object to being called a "gamer"?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I don't object at all.. in fact, if I was to label myself, that's probably one of the labels I'd use. Gaming is my main hobby, both in terms of playing games and in terms of following the industry.

It's sort of like someone like MovieBob or Roger Ebert. They not only watch movies, but have a deeper and more intense feel for the medium than your standard person who watches movies as nothing but idle entertainment. I doubt they'd object to being called film connoisseur or something of the sort.

amnesiac85

Jun 20, 2011
I have no problem with it. I've considered myself a gamer for probably about 15+ years now. However, there are a lot of stereotypes associated with the concept of 'gamer.' I can see why some people would object to its usage. Me, though, playing games is just part of who I am. It's a good adjective.

Mythril225

Jul 10, 2010
" We are more than stereotypes. We are adventurers and doctors, engineers and entrepreneurs, journalists and lawyers, scientists and students. We are smart, ambitious, and competitive. We are gamers. " - Sean Plott

Basically that quote sums it all up.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
There's no point in denying it over here.
Everyone on these boards is too much of an enthousiast for that, or we wouldn't be here.

That said, there's no point in bragging about it to non-gamers.

Mar 9, 2010
No, objecting to being called a gamer is one of the stupidest things anyone could do. To be ashamed of being called a gamer because of a negative stereotype is just shallow, and I do some pretty shallow things. If you are that ashamed of who you are then you need to change it, because you won't like yourself in 3 years time.

Off Topic: Really? Adverts in the fucking capthca's? Go back to the text CAPTCHAs, they weren't that bad. I fucking hate Solve Media and how much they bum Ron Howard.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
No, I do not. Nor do I get offended when someone calls me a "fencer" because I fence. People would, in fact, have try very had to offend me with a label.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I take pride in being called a gamer as well as:
a nerd
a geek
a rivethead
music lover
dancer
etc......
and especially when I get called weird or crazy or something like that.

MKKNKJDIDB

Jul 15, 2011
It doesn't really bother me, playing games is something I've done for years. So yeah, I'm a gamer. It's my preferred form of media, taking place above films, books, etc.

I find it odd how most people only see a singular type of 'Gamer' though, because there's sub groups within it as there is within the film and book community. Some people will think of it as a bad thing, but that's their opinion. I play games, so I consider myself a gamer, that's how I define the word.

Zeraiya

Jul 16, 2011
I take pride in being called a gamer. Other hobbies or interests don't give titles, unless you count the 'bookworm's and 'movie-buff's. Although those don't sound good.

I enjoy being called a gamer because it sounds definitive and even sounds respectable. This opinion may be because I'm female and being a female gamer seems to be a partial rarity. And let's face it, everyone likes to be special :p

The title of gamer just advertises and communicates the passion you have for games, and what's wrong about that!

Sep 14, 2009
nope, but in the same sense i don't give a flying fuck what someone calls or labels me, big deal, thats all it is, is some dumb label, hell i have certain friends who call me garbage(its a random nickname) and most people around us are going "???...*&%$?" but if you just treat it like some dumb title then that's all it is

i dont see the point of getting riled up over one small stupid insignificant word..