Poll: Do you often use public transport?

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Well, simple. Do you? I ask this because the in past three days, I have spent more then seven hours travelling from one part of The Netherlands to another and I'm a little sick of it. We have an expression: shared grief is half grief, and I was wondering if the fine people of the Escapist share this misery.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
We Swedes have that saying as well, but we also have a second part: Shared joy is double the joy. And I use public transport every day.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I live in America where we waste gas everyday driving 45 minutes to the office. Screw MARTA, that shit is dangerous.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I have a car so I really have no need to rely on public transportation. Also, much of the public transportation we have here in the States are kind of gross. Once when I used to ride the bus to university (before I had my car) a hobo brought and spilled his beer all over himself next to where my brother was sitting. He wasn't even suppose to bring open alcoholic beverages in public transportation. Needless to say he was kicked out.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Fappy said:
Screw MARTA, that shit is dangerous.
Oh yeah. And the local backronym for MARTA is just lovely.

Seriously, the last time I used MARTA was in high school. And only because I was with my father, who is huge in the "I will turn crumple you into a football and take a corner with your face" way. Even when I stopped living in Atlanta and flew into town for DragonCon, I made sure I had a ride to the hotel, rather than using MARTA. I've got a friend who is over six feet tall and muscular who got mugged on MARTA, no way my tiny, 110 lbs. self is safe alone.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I use public transport every day, which wouldn't be so bad if the first bus I caught actually came at the time it was meant to. It's really irksome when you have a catch a second bus and the first bus you have to catch is 10 minutes late.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Aris Khandr said:
Fappy said:
Screw MARTA, that shit is dangerous.
Oh yeah. And the local backronym for MARTA is just lovely.

Seriously, the last time I used MARTA was in high school. And only because I was with my father, who is huge in the "I will turn crumple you into a football and take a corner with your face" way. Even when I stopped living in Atlanta and flew into town for DragonCon, I made sure I had a ride to the hotel, rather than using MARTA. I've got a friend who is over six feet tall and muscular who got mugged on MARTA, no way my tiny, 110 lbs. self is safe alone.
Last Dragon*con my friends made me carpool their fat asses there. We got to stay in one of the main hotels though so its cool.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, i used to, a lot. Since noone had a drivers license in my family (at least, no-one who lived in the same household as I did), i used public transportation very often. However, currently, I´m attending a University, and since the campus is so close to the Uni and the center of town, i really haven`t used it for quite a while. For me, it`s just a means of transportation.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I use it every day. It's much more relaxing, you can read a book or whatever, you don't have to search for parking space and it's mostly cheaper, too. The public transport in my city is so good that there's hardly any reason to use a car at all, in my opinion.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I would if it was available. I did in Vancouver because it was cost effective and reliable if somewhat slow. Here in Saskatchewan it isn't that great. I don't live in the city and busing from the town to work would be a huge inconvenience (considering the bus stop isn't anywhere near my work).

Driving in the prairies is, for the most part, a necessity for work and pleasure. Plus I just f*cking love driving. It's little Redlin's greatest dreams come true minus crashing into all the cars as I did in Midtown Madness...

Philol

Nov 7, 2011
My uni accommodation is close to the uni, about 30 seconds away, so public transport really isn't necessary for my everyday life, but when I go home and come back, which is really just for Christmas, Easter, and the end of the year, I do get the train.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I usually go to this place every week so taking a bus is more convient. Sure my dad sometime take me there instead but he will be using his fuel.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I have to, I really can't afford a car. Besides, living in the city I don't think I really need one anyway.

The T is adequate enough.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
When i have somewhere to go .. all the time i dont drive for this reason.. because the public transport around me is generally very reliable and where i live currently is in close vicinity to 4 different bus stops and the train station.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I don't want to be stabbed/shot so no. Not to mention if a bus passes by it smells like piss, it's as if it's transporting urine instead of people. Now if I lived in a nice city that actually had decent public transportation I don't think I would mind as much.

If you're wondering I live in Flint Michigan. Between the history of a rich automotive city and the current shithole it is, it probably has the one of the worst public transportation of any first world city. And perhaps even some third world ones.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I used to use it for 2 and a half hours a day and it quite literally drove me insane. It was only a distance of 20 miles either way, which was the most annoying bit about it, other than the irregularity of transport.

At the minute I use it maybe two or three times a week, but that's only about a ten minute journey of 2 miles, so is bearable.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Wouldn't wish public transportation on my worst enemy. Got my drivers license as soon as I could and I never looked back.