Poll: Do you play D&D?

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
I've played a couple sessions of 3.5 (which I didn't enjoy), a LOT of 4e (which I did), a fair amount of Pathfinder (which is everything I liked in 3.5 minus the majority of the stupid), and a bunch of other tabletop games. My friends are getting together a god-level Scion game soon, and I also play DC Adventures (as in the comic book universe) every Tuesday. On Wednesday, I run a homebrew online campaign.

And Saturdays the same group I play DCA with does a 5e playtest. 5e isn't very good. To those that think 4e was too stripped-down from 3.5, I shudder to imagine what 5e would look like to you. There's nothing there, pretty much. Base attribute numbers are permanently capped at 20 (as in, no matter how many levels you get, you can't go above 20 in Str, Int, etc.). Skill training is +1d6 to your d20 roll, whereas in 4e it was at least a consistent +5. The list of skills you ARE trained in is incredibly short, and usually fairly narrow. As if to make up for their lot in life in previous editions, martial classes now have staggering damage potential because they get bonus dice they can just add to a damage roll at any time. What feats you get is (if you're playing strictly by the rules as written) determined by your character's background. Someone who was/is a Spy has X feats, no matter how much they want something else. Really, the only thing that got improved from 4e was spellcasting, with casters being back to a more utility focus with not much in the way of damage and spell slots being better set up. Oh, also I like the new system for combat advantage, especially since you can also get non-combat advantage. You have advantage? Roll two dice, take your favorite. You're at a disadvantage? Roll two dice, take the lower.

*inhales* I have a lot of pent-up bile about 5e in its current state.

Hylke Langhout

Mar 2, 2011
I started playing D&D last year under 3.5e in which I started playing a cleric. We finished that campaign and started a new one, also in 3.5, where I'm playing a warblade. I'm thinking of picking up DM'ing, partially because we're going to need a new DM next semester, and also because it seems like something I'd enjoy.

I've also been working on setting up a Pathfinder game with some other people who are all first-time players where I'll be DM'ing an Adventure Path. That's been going pretty slowly because university suddenly decided to kick my ass.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
Yes, yes I do. Been playing for 10 years now, and DMing at least 7. I mostly play 3.5, have dabbled in 4th, and our table is currently trying out D20 modern. I even learned on 1st and 2nd edition.

I write and create my own worlds, npcs, all that Jazz. So yeah. This is a topic I can talk about for days on end.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
I do and everyone else should, I also like various other RPG's like Shadowrun, the World of Darkness lines, the Warhammer games and so on. I hated d&d fourth but still play 3.5 from time to time, currently the only RPG I'm playing is Vampire the Masquerade.

SilentFlames26

Sep 9, 2011
I haven't actually played it before, but I would really like to. Does anyone have any tips on how to get into a game?

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I've played a bit of 4e D&D but mostly I play free flowing rules light or entirely systemless games such as FATE, One Roll, Savage Worlds or Wushu. That and a homebrew game based on tactical combat ala 4e but MASSIVELY sped up.

When I do play D&D I'm lucky enough that it is almost exclusively 4th edition and rarely enough that I enjoy it, even if I wish it was much faster. 3.5 was okay back in the day when I didn't know any better but I honestly can't see a use case for it now.

Jan 23, 2010
Not specifically DnD but I do play Pen and Paper RPG's yes.
I've never tried DnD, the system seems very needlessly complex (especially older editions) and a bit all over the place with its setting and such. Though I would try if given the chance.

I've played:
Ars Magica
Exalted 2nd Edition
Dark Ages: Vampire
Fallout adaption of the D20 system (Died out quickly, too much hassle. Yes I know D20 is basically DnD with the setting stripped out)

Currently playing and DM'ing on and off with a bunch of friends. We're playing Ars Magica and I got to say it's my favorite system so far. Very flexible magic and simple yet 'realistic' combat. It's lethal as all hell and it succeeded in scaring the crap out of everyone when it comes to being charged by people with longswords. In Exalted we just laughed at combat because of how damn invincible the characters felt. In Ars Magica a single cut is either a pretty big hindrance or an expensive investment in order to heal it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Nope.

I'm a pretty nerdy fellow, but pretending to be an elf is pushing my limits.

It's just a few bad costumes away from LARPing, except you don't get any exercise.

Rol3x

Jan 24, 2008
I just started playing in the pathfinder society last month mostly to learn the game more and prepare for my own sessions.
Myself and my brother are alternating running separate campaigns with 4 other people, cant wait to get stuck into it.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Does Baldurs Gate count?
Baldurs Gate definately counts.
I love Baldurs Gate.
Baldurs Gate.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Have only played the one campaign, a few friends and I who had never played before really wanted to but we never have a convenient time to meet up, so last summer we took the plunge and played a home-made campaign written by our DM (who was also woefully inexperienced) it's some of the most fun I've ever had and we're looking to start a new game soon- maybe try nWoD or something along those lines.

Would recommend it to anyone who can get a few friends together- the character creation may seem labyrinthine and obtuse at first (for straight D&D at least) but when you get into it you'll enjoy it all the more for the effort.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
SilentFlames26 said:
I haven't actually played it before, but I would really like to. Does anyone have any tips on how to get into a game?
Get the 4 nerdiest friends you have, persuade someone with at least a passing knowledge to DM and get stuck in. D&D is one of the more complex and confusing pen and paper RPGs but it gives a solid base to start from and is easy to understand if you've played an old-school cRPG (Baldurs gate, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment etc).

The consensus seems to be 3.5e is the one to play, having only played this one myself I couldn't comment on later editions.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php is the go-to for digital gamebooks, and has some sort of association with the Escapist, although that is probably limited to PubClub members.

If you don't know anyone willing to give it a shot, have a look around. There's usually a regular D&D group in most areas if you manage to find it- ask people who might know.

Aug 31, 2012
I'm a bit strange in that I've spent a lot of money on RPGs over the years, usually very completionist about them too, I must have all the books they publish to go with it. Has to be hardcopy too if available, no saving money by buying pdfs.

AD&D 2nd ed
Cyberpunk 2020
Twilight 2000
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay V1 & V2
Twilight 2013
Dark Heresy
Rogue Trader
Only War
Year of the Zombie
Various D20 modern, future, post apoc modules
Aliens RPG
Bubblegum Crisis
Probably some other small ones I've forgotten about.

What's strange about that you might ask? Only ever played Cyberpunk and a couple of abortive tries at AD&D, and a one off WHFRP session. Tried playing CP2020 and DH on the net but I didn't really get on with it. Yet I still buy stuff despite knowing I'll never use it. I'm planning on getting Black Crusade soon.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
It's not my favourite system, but I do play 3.5. I'm having an indefinite break now, however, 'cause my DM has recently become a father.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
Absolutely. A group of friends of mine and I each have a campaign going (mine is in Faerûn), all in the 3.5th edition. (Our views on 4th edition, after actually trying it, are not fit for a public forum... ) One of my friends is in a play-test group for 5th edition, but from what I hear, I don't think I'll be converting to that one either. (Sorry I can't go into details, it's a whole legal thing...)
We also play some other RPGs, including Star Wars. (Though the DM has been reluctant since he found out a couple of us players know the Star Wars-universe better than him...)

theartknife

Sep 13, 2010
Hadn't played for about 13 years, when i used to play AD&D 2nd ed. Then started to get the itch about a year and a half ago. Wen't along to one of those 'Encounters' evenings at a local game store, but didn't really like the feel of 4th edition. So checked out Pathfinder and like it a lot more, got together a few of my friends (all but one of whom had never played before) and set up a game. Almost a year later they're brushing 5th level and we're having a great time!

So glad that i got back into it and put in the effort to get a group together.

Aug 1, 2010
Here and there.

I've played a metric fuckload of Campfire, but I don't usually mention it as it's the equivalent of a person saying "Hey I'm totally a gamer, I've played Fruit Ninja for HUNDREDS of hours!"

I'd love to get in on RPG gaming proper, but groups are harder to find than most rare minerals.

I am quite heavily involved in Warhammer 40k though.