Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:
There is a Star Wars D&D?
A couple, actually. There's the d6 system. There might be a few more, but those are the two I've played.
No, Dungeons and Dragons is a roleplaying game, and the Star Wars roleplaying games are diffrent systems.
The d20 system is almost identical to D&D 3.5 Ed, to be fair. Exactly the same rules, exactly the same character progression, just swapped out red dragons for krayt-dragons.
It's still a different system and not "a D&D"
I would be interested to hear your definition of "a D&D", because clearly you and I have very different definitions of the term.
D&D is a roleplaying game not roleplaying games in general.

And sorry if I come across as angry or something, not intentional
True enough, but it has also become a generic name for RP in general, in much the same way as 'Biro' is the default for 'ball-point pen' and 'Hoover' is for vacuum cleaner. Your initial question of "There's a Star Wars D&D?" made me think that you were using the generic term, because if you were using the specific term there never could be a Star Wars 'D&D' as they do not co-exist in the same gaming universe.

And don't worry about it, it's a rough Monday morning and I'm a bit snappier than I should be anyway.
I was not aware that it was a term for RPGs in general and I wouldn't use it myself as I don't like D&D.

Also using D&D as a term for RPGs sounds to me like refering to playing video games as 'playing Mario'.
It does sound a bit wrong, doesn't it? I think maybe it's because for many people their first experience with pen-and-paper RPGs is a fairly generic D&D campaign, or maybe because when you're trying to explain to a non-player exactly what pen-and-paper RP exactly is it's easier to just roll your eyes and say "it's D&D, ok?".

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I'd love to, but I can't find a group locally and I don't have the connections online either. A further hinderance is that I learned 4e first, and immensely dislike it. I think I'd rather play pathfinder, but I don't have any of those sourcebooks at the moment.

I'll get around to it. If I ever start leaving my house for more than a quick trip to the corner shop. Once a fortnight.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
I've got a campaign going on some mornings with a few friends, 3.5e. I'm one of the players, a Yuan-ti Pureblood Druid.

I kind of want to try the modern ruleset with classes like "Techno-Mage." Make a campaign based on Fallout or Final Fantasy VI or something.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
I play pathfinder sometimes. It's fun because I like to make up creative ways of taking down enemies. When we were playing Ravenloft, and going against the final boss, I came up with the idea to knock over the marble pillars in his room and hit him with them. Turns out, vampires aren't immune to bashing damage.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
While I haven't specifically played D&D, I do play a lot of tabletop RPGs. Currently, I'm DMing a Warhammer 40K Deathwatch campaign detailing the Necrons awakening through the Jericho sector and our Killteams attempts to decipher the hints and stop it. I'm also a participant in a Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy campaign that currently doesn't have a goal as we just finished our latest task given to us by our Inquisitor. There's also an on again off again Mage: The Awakening campaign, which is currently off...

I really enjoy it, as once you get past the initial purchase price and find the right group to play with, it can easily replace any other, more long term expensive hobbies like going out drinking every weekend :p

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
kwagamon said:
And Saturdays the same group I play DCA with does a 5e playtest. 5e isn't very good.
[...]
*inhales* I have a lot of pent-up bile about 5e in its current state.
You and me both, man. I'm not playtesting but I keep an eye on it and...damn. I mean they spew a load of brilliant suggestions but coat them in so much bullshit, it's unimaginable. And as of lately, the dev blogs have taken a turn of "let's point out what was wrong before and discuss how it could be fixed WITHOUT MENTIONING 4e ACTUALLY FIXED IT AND WE'RE JUST BEING REDUNDANT HERE BY EXPLAINING THE EXACT SAME THING". With a tinge of "let's repeat our past mistakes without acknowledging them". I don't want to bash Next just for the sole purpose of being Next - I'm tired of edition wars and I embrace each edition for its strengths. It just seems that Next was contrived out of the mistakes WotC did with a dash of "you know it would be cool if..." that is either cool or not but ultimately gets lost in the slew of idiocy. Oh, and apparently, the design goal is "It's going to be EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY at ANY TIME" which is not only very improbable, the design team at Wizards of the Coast is also not the one that can make it happen.

SilentFlames26 said:
I haven't actually played it before, but I would really like to. Does anyone have any tips on how to get into a game?
Well, you need three books - the Dungeon Master's Guide, the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual. That's true for both 3.5 edition and 4th edition - I won't give recommendation which to pick, I don't want to go down that route. But basically, if you've played stuff like Neverwinter Nights or Knights of the Old Republic, those use the 3.5 rules, so you might be more familiar (older D&D games - Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment and the like used older more confusing ruleset). The 4th edition is a bit more straight forward, though, and I think easier to pick up. At any rate, 4e you'll have to buy, while you can get the 3.5 rules for free online [http://www.d20srd.org/]. If you want it free, though, I'd suggest getting Pathfinder which is a modified version of the 3.5 rules with some changes but it's good and at least somewhat compatible with 3.5. Also, you can actually get the whole books for free online [http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/] - it has everything you need to start.

Once you have that, just get some more people - at least 3, I'd say, and you can start it off - one would be the Dungeon Master and the rest would be players. You can find pre-made adventures, if you're unsure what to do, or make something up (or adapt something, like a book, movie or a game). The Dungeon Master's Guide has the advice for new DMs and is valuable to pick up for that reason.

Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:

True enough, but it has also become a generic name for RP in general
I don't believe that to be the case. You are the first person I've ever seen referring to RPGs as "D&D". And I've been on RPG oriented websites. At most, I've heard people describe RPGs (to non-RP gamers) as "it's like D&D" but that's about it.

Mar 30, 2010
DoPo said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Arfonious said:

True enough, but it has also become a generic name for RP in general
I don't believe that to be the case. You are the first person I've ever seen referring to RPGs as "D&D". And I've been on RPG oriented websites. At most, I've heard people describe RPGs (to non-RP gamers) as "it's like D&D" but that's about it.
I can only really speak from my own experience, but most of the groups I've played in over the years have used it as a blanket term - although as mentioned it does tend to be one used when talking to people who don't play themselves.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
D&D is just one of many things I play and I've been playing/running semi-regular games for more than 10 years now.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
No but I've always wanted to try.
I ordered the Dragon Age RPG from Waterstones but that hasn't been dispatched for... ever...

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I've played a few times with a group of friends. We've never really had time to finish anything major, but it was fun nonetheless. I've played several versions (3.5, Pathfinder, 4e and even the pre-release version of Next), and would really like to finish a campaign someday.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I have and would like to again but I cant find friends who can sacrifice time to play it.

4th edition if you're wondering

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
3.5e, I DM a group, who are incompetent, they lost a werewolf prisoner and damn near drowned in the process.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
I have not played D&D however I would really love too. I want to run a druid, wizard, or arcane archer in 3.5 when I get the chance. I have recently got into a group that plays Dark Heresy at my university, and it is a blast so far.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
3.0, 3.5, 3.75 (Pathfinder), 4e, DnD Next, the old d20 Star Wars Saga. Currently in between games, probably going to end up in a 4e and a Next game within a week or so.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Maeshone said:
While I haven't specifically played D&D, I do play a lot of tabletop RPGs. Currently, I'm DMing a Warhammer 40K Deathwatch campaign detailing the Necrons awakening through the Jericho sector and our Killteams attempts to decipher the hints and stop it. I'm also a participant in a Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy campaign that currently doesn't have a goal as we just finished our latest task given to us by our Inquisitor. There's also an on again off again Mage: The Awakening campaign, which is currently off...

I really enjoy it, as once you get past the initial purchase price and find the right group to play with, it can easily replace any other, more long term expensive hobbies like going out drinking every weekend :p
What class do you currently run in Dark Heresy? I am an Imperial Psyker right now.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
Snownine said:
Maeshone said:

What class do you currently run in Dark Heresy? I am an Imperial Psyker right now.
Well, I did play an Imperial Guardsman, but he kinda got blown up a couple of sessions back. So, I decided to try something a bit different (and to balance out our otherwise combatfocused group) and went with an Adept. Having real fun with him so far, even if it's mostly been trying to hide/find the easiest way to get out of combat as quickly as possible.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Been playing 4e for a while now its been a bumpy ride in terms of fun but we all love the forgotten realms universe too much to switch and after a lot of learning we are finally having very much fun when we play.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Last September, I finally told my friends what we were all thinking, but wouldn't say. "We need to start a D&D group.".

Now I DM a biweekly 4e campaign, and am a PC in a biweekly(we switch games every week) 3.5 campaign with a few PCs from our 4e group and their friends.

Starting to play was one of the best gaming decisions I've ever made.