Poll: Do you prefer American English spelling or British English spelling?

Crowghast

Aug 29, 2008
Chimpa said:
Crowghast said:
Chimpa said:
Crowghast said:
Chimpa said:
I just prefer the British English simply for the fact growing up in Ireland, I was used to it. Generally most people couldn't care less about it, I?ve attended a number of different institutions at both sides of the Atlantic and they've never had a real problem when I?ve submitted work using the British format, they are very accepting of it and never cause problems. Of course you do come across the occasional dickhead who kicks up a fuss, but frankly I would assume that N. American?s coming over to the UK and spelling like that would cause more of a fuss. Despite what the internet portrays, I have found both Americans and Canadians to be very accepting people, unlike the Brits?? (A massive generalisation, but where better to use one than the midst of the internet)
I take it from my first trip to the UK, where I happened to, unfortunately, land in Cardiff.

I thought that I would hate the rest of ol' Blightey. Nice place, actually, the British are all and more of what I expected. Being an American in an alien setting that you've only read books about, and only understand it's modern culture around the stage of [i\]Monty Python[/i]. I had a good balance of chavs and dandies, mannered men and boisterous, humored men. As well as the lovely ladies. And the Welsh... and people who live in Cardiff.

Needless to say, I enjoy scones and detest tea.
Hence my massive generalisation comment :) I've lived in the UK for some time, and met some amazing people, people that i still regularly keep in contact with and go out on the lash with. However, from my experience more often than not your average joe is a selfish bigot. A country that, if you believed the media, hates its children and everyone else.
Now, you see, i'm the kind of person who stops talking to people when they begin to... rub me the wrong way, so to speak. I don't even explain, I just stop. I always thought there was something wrong with the youth, we should start beating the kids again. Not spanking them with hickory sticks 'til they bleed because they changed the radio station.

Just a hard [i\]tumnp[/i] on the head and some scary words whenever they do something morally reprehensible... or, by extension, [i\]illegal[/i].

Anyway, I also enjoyed the Irish. Nice people, awesome accents, and I am thoroughly convinced that the "nation of drunkards" stereotype is true, in a good way.

Or maybe that's because I was bar-hopping at the time.
According to Canadian standards i'm an alcoholic, but apparantally so is every one else that i know so i think that say's more about the standards than anything else. Truth is, alcohol is more a part of Irish culture than anything else and thats what causes the stereotype, but frankly we could be a nation of happy drunkards avoiding conflict like the plague, or a nation of woman beating gobshites, i know what i prefer :)
Amen. Let's have a toast to that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mOWSlGrAnk

Salute!

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
sneak_copter said:
PersianLlama said:
sneak_copter said:
PersianLlama said:
sneak_copter said:
FOR GOD'S SAKE.
THIS IS MY ONE CHANCE TO SAY IT:

IT'S SULPHUR. NOT SULFUR.

GET. IT. RIGHT.
The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry begs to differ. (Just ctrl-F "Sulfur" in the link below and it'll come up, or Wikipedia it if you must).

http://www.rsc.org/delivery/_ArticleLinking/DisplayArticleForFree.cfm?doi=JM99101FP055&JournalCode=JM

That being said, if I remember correctly Aluminium is the preferred spelling by the IUPAC.

Caesium is also another spelling preferred by the IUPAC on the British side.
I don't give a shit what the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry has to say. And everybody who provides information on Wikipedia is bullshitting.

Anyway, I'm not that bothered. Just annoying how Americans can spell the word that way and think they have spelt it correctly, and that there way of spelling is the ONLY correct way.
...Um the link I provided wasn't even wikipedia, I just offered that if you were too lazy to look through the document. And because you may have had one bad experience with an American, they all are obviously idiots who enforce only their way of spelling onto the rest of the English-speaking world?

Edit:...Oh and it's the IUPAC that y'know deals with Chemistry...So maybe the nomenclature in Chemistry should be left to that?
No, I did look through the whole document.

I still maintain that Sulphur is the correct spelling of the word, and regardless of however many sources you put forward to counter my argument, I, without citing any am sure that my spelling is correct.

I understand if your point of view is different, and that American spelling of words is different, but in Britain "sulfur" would be classed as an incorrect spelling of the word.

Right. Lets stop now before this becomes a flame-war.

*fills bucket*
I never said "sulphur" was incorrect, but I didn't say "sulfur" was incorrect either. They both work, of course it doesn't matter what the IUPAC prefers, but that doesn't mean "sulphur" is the only way to spell it.

BenMcMichael

Feb 6, 2009
ranc0re said:
I prefer Canadian spelling! A mixture of both American and British forms.

IE:

American: Color
Canadian: Colour

British: Tyre
Canadian: Tire

Wooooooo!
Erm I'm English and i have never ever ever used or seen Tire spelt as tyre

BenMcMichael

Feb 6, 2009
PersianLlama said:
sneak_copter said:
PersianLlama said:
sneak_copter said:
PersianLlama said:
sneak_copter said:
FOR GOD'S SAKE.
THIS IS MY ONE CHANCE TO SAY IT:

IT'S SULPHUR. NOT SULFUR.

GET. IT. RIGHT.
The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry begs to differ. (Just ctrl-F "Sulfur" in the link below and it'll come up, or Wikipedia it if you must).

http://www.rsc.org/delivery/_ArticleLinking/DisplayArticleForFree.cfm?doi=JM99101FP055&JournalCode=JM

That being said, if I remember correctly Aluminium is the preferred spelling by the IUPAC.

Caesium is also another spelling preferred by the IUPAC on the British side.
I don't give a shit what the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry has to say. And everybody who provides information on Wikipedia is bullshitting.

Anyway, I'm not that bothered. Just annoying how Americans can spell the word that way and think they have spelt it correctly, and that there way of spelling is the ONLY correct way.
...Um the link I provided wasn't even wikipedia, I just offered that if you were too lazy to look through the document. And because you may have had one bad experience with an American, they all are obviously idiots who enforce only their way of spelling onto the rest of the English-speaking world?

Edit:...Oh and it's the IUPAC that y'know deals with Chemistry...So maybe the nomenclature in Chemistry should be left to that?
No, I did look through the whole document.

I still maintain that Sulphur is the correct spelling of the word, and regardless of however many sources you put forward to counter my argument, I, without citing any am sure that my spelling is correct.

I understand if your point of view is different, and that American spelling of words is different, but in Britain "sulfur" would be classed as an incorrect spelling of the word.

Right. Lets stop now before this becomes a flame-war.

*fills bucket*
I never said "sulphur" was incorrect, but I didn't say "sulfur" was incorrect either. They both work, of course it doesn't matter what the IUPAC prefers, but that doesn't mean "sulphur" is the only way to spell it.
Sulphur ftw, I honestly get annoyed when I see american spelling of our precious words, or if i hear the term "American Language" or hey they speak american...

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
British.

We English created the language, (some) Americans chew it up and spit it out.

I'm not that bothered though. It just informs me of where you're from, or influenced at least. Not that that would bother me either.

UpSkirtDistress

Mar 2, 2009
Hmm Do I prefer American English or English English let me think grrrr
the clue is in the name fair enough a language has to evole but Americans just Change spellings to make words easier thats not evolvolution its lazy.

Crowghast

Aug 29, 2008
UpSkirtDistress said:
the clue is in the name fair enough a language has to evole but Americans just Change spellings to make words easier thats not evolvolution its lazy.
It is not "enclosed", it is "Encloased". Middle English spelling was perfectly fine, I don't know why the English changed it.

Will no one address this injustice?

Arguing color's lack of colo[b\]u[/b]r when ENCLOSED lacks [b\]ENCLO[b\]A[/b]SED[/b]?

And what is this "evolvolution"? Are the British trying to alter the English language again, just to make it more convoluted so you get the feeling you're more diligent than we are? Oh yea? Fine.

WE'LL just make it lazier. It is no longer "evolution" nor is it your fancy "evolvolution", it is now: [i\][b\]Ev'lush'n[/b][/i].

Harumph.

And whatever happened to "monies"? That used to be a real word. It mean't you had more than one piece of money. Now everyone considers it to be lolspeak.

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Crowghast, I was just about to make a similar point, but you beat me to it.

I agree with what you say.

Crowghast

Aug 29, 2008
Jamanticus said:
Crowghast, I was just about to make a similar point, but you beat me to it.

I agree with what you say.
That's one! Who else agrees with our views?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I prefer people that don't use the term "British".

Seriously, we don't all sip tea and laugh at poor people.

Darth Lexx

Aug 13, 2008
When your trying to talk about something like honor. Everybody if not most people should know what you are talking about when you spell it honour.

Jan 8, 2009
Im from america, but I would rather spell like British English for the fact that it's where the language originated and it's right for that reason. Unfortunatly I only the spelling of colour and words of the like

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I really don't have a preference, I was born and live in America, so obviously I use the Americanized version of the English language. I have no problems with British English, I've always wondered though, why we changed it. The only thing I could think of would be that after the American Revolution, the government wanted to get rid of all traces of British culture.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Tank207 said:
I really don't have a preference, I was born and live in America, so obviously I use the Americanized version of the English language. I have no problems with British English, I've always wondered though, why we changed it. The only thing I could think of would be that after the American Revolution, the government wanted to get rid of all traces of British culture.
Maybe, but it's doubtful. Frankly, I'd assume it's just natural dialectical drift. I am kind of astounded that more Brits here aren't getting that. The island with hundreds of different dialects, united in it's xenophobia?

Okay, maybe that's kind of harsh, but my surprise is unchanged.
DannyDamage said:
British.

We English created the language, (some) Americans chew it up and spit it out.
Se cyninges ágenspræc sy léasspell.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
to quote myself in the 8th Grade: "The English made it, but America fucking perfected it!"
International schools are fun

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Crowghast said:
UpSkirtDistress said:
It is not "enclosed", it is "Encloased". Middle English spelling was perfectly fine, I don't know why the English changed it.
Ic ungemódness mid þú...