Poll: Do you prefer gaming on your console or pc

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
before i bought a wired 360 pad i would have said it depends on the genre. but now I have one,

PC

Recron

Professional Procrastinator
Jun 10, 2010
I much prefer consoles
Consoles are much better for local multiplayer and to me that's the best kind of multiplayer,
Console gaming is much more accessible than PC gaming, no worrying about whether or not it will play well or worrying about graphical settings,
Playing games can become next to impossible when you are doing something else that uses up a lot of processing power, In my case, I am Usually doing a lot of 3D graphic works and rendering on my PC and when I'm rendering (which at times can take hours mind you) most games I try to play slow to a crawl.
Most of the Games I play are on Consoles, Cant exactly play Gotcha Force, or Super Smash Bros. Brawl or a PC now can ya? not legally anyway.
plus there are other things that I could list but wont go into because they don't actually have anything to do with gaming.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I prefer the PC. I can't always get on with the controls on my 360, especially in FPS's.

assassinslover

Apr 14, 2009
I'd much rather play on a PC, but it really depends on what type of game. RPG's I'd rather play on a console, but FPS's I like to be able to play on a computer because I have better control over where I'm aiming.

Andy999

Jul 9, 2008
It depends on the game, as the mouse and keyboard is nice for FPS's, but for the most part I'd honestly prefer the console. I like the more accessible buttons and the fact that I don't have to worry about whether I can run such and such a game, and how well.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I can't say I prefer one or the other since I have games on both. Some games are easier to play with a console's controls but that's what a gamepad is for should I ever find myself playing such a game on my PC.

However, that being said, most of my games are on one of the various consoles I have simply because a: I'm more used to the control scheme of a console (which tends to happen after 17 years, from NES to 360 and PS3) and b: The console sections at my local EB Games are much larger than the small corner (a literal corner) of PC games. (Thank god for Steam in that regard.)

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
PC games. dont get me wrong, i love my xbox. split screen multiplayer and stuff is great, and there are exclusives i cant play on pc. however, if i have a choice: PC.

The biggest factor for me though: Steam. Steam has soo many rediculous sales its just so affordable to be a pc gamer. this last week due to all the sales i have bought 17 games for under 50 dollars total. (i need to scrounge up another 20 bucks, because divinity 2 is on sale and i want it.)

However, i also love the portability (im a laptop gamer), the mods, the mouse and keyboard, and the customization that is involved.

Ocoton

Sep 25, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
Ocoton said:
It seems strange to me that no one has figured out that if a keyboard and mouse isn't the most practical control system for a game, you can in fact connect a controller to your pc.
Direct response to quoted guy:
So you want us to spend the extra money you need to buy a PC (normally around $600 - not sure how to convert that to £ - which I've heard people laughably describe as "cheap") to do something you could easily do on a console anyway for a much cheaper price?

General argument:
And yes, I know a PC is much more than a gaming platform and all that. Well, here's the thing. I already have a PC that can do everything I'd ever want a PC to do... except game. I shouldn't have to spend hundreds on what essentially amounts to the ability to game, while in the process losing most of my current PC's customisation. The only genre I care about that I'm missing out on is the RTS genre, I can do everything else I want on the 360 while using my computer to... do computer stuff.
Only one problem with that. You see, a gaming pc that can play the most high end games here costs the same amount as a ps3 with move, assuming you're not a fool and get the parts and assemble yourself, which is not complicated at all. The price of a upgrade in card which isn't all that expensive every 2 or 3 years is more than compensated by the cheap cost of pc games. For example, left for dead two on my 360 would cost $70. It was $5 for the pc. Let me flick through a short list of the cost for console and pc, and calculate the savings i've made. I wont list the entire thing here because its a huge list. But basically, i've saved, just by playing on the pc rather than my console, roughly a grand. That would more than pay for a pc far stronger than what i'm running. I do believe your argument is invalid. Also, you could very easily use your 360 controller to run all of these games, and your pc can be hooked up to a tv. So basically it'd be identical, except a quarter of the cost and twice the quality.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I love my PC and my Console equally and they both can be played from the comfort of my couch since my PC is a laptop. So far haven't had spec troubles on the laptop, save for the Nvdia framerate issue for New Vegas. Only things that I prefer is to play an RTS on the PC other than that I'll play it either way

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I love the feel of a controller, was brought up with consoles, didn't know PC gamming existed until I was fourteen. (I'm poor :p) So I use my 360 controller on my PC whenever I can. But I play more on the PC because for me the games are a lot cheaper.

Ocoton

Sep 25, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Console.

Nothing beats my couch + HDTV + Party Chat instantly I go online. Nothing.
My "monitor" is a HDTV running 16:9, I've got a couch set up in here which I sit on and thanks to vent or other chat applications I cna always party chat with people I game with. Your points are invalid.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Console. Seems like less hassle, whether it be meeting requirements or half a dozen of the unexpected errors that have a tendency to crop up.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
it really depends on the games

see, for example, Call of Duty or L4D2 I play on PC (yes, they're FPS's, but I think the point gets across), while, say, Devil May Cry I play it on console, because it just feels better

but yeah, PC is my main choice

Ocoton

Sep 25, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Ocoton said:
Or you can stop assuming the majority of the people are willing to put time and effort into figuring out a decent balance of Hardware/Software to run their designed games. Admitted, plenty know this. But then again, ALOT of people do not.

Convience -> Costs in such manner. Most mommies and daddies are content sicking a ?250/300 for a 360/PS3 and buy some games now and then be rid of their gaming. Or people like me, who can build a computer if he wanted, but doesn't want to get down on all the specifics and which generation hardware to buy/sell to get his exact configuration.

Here is the final kick in the teeth: Console games are easy to optimize and devs won't always assure your hardware in your PC will run their designed games. Don't get me started on those horrible ports we have been getting lately. Yes, I am a PC gamer but it's more 'casual'.

"time and effort" >implying it takes either. It's not a complicated game and considering the hive of information on the internet today if they really can't figure it out, it takes less than a couple of seconds on google, so if they can't handle it [Though I have a feeling you're indirectly talking from experience, because from your couch + HDTV + party chat remark, you clearly know next to nothing about this] Pc games are just as easy to optimize, and they have the added bonus of community mods and tweaks. And the majority of devs are realising bad ports will only tarnish their name, and as such more effort is being put into the port process. Though i've yet to see a game that doesn't blow chunks have a terrible port. And its the same with hardware. The days where you could only run X if you had an nvidia card are rapidly dying off as people realise compatibility will result in more sales. So, stop presenting arguments from the 1990s and think for a few seconds before you vomit onto your keyboard. Oh and "personal preference" is irrelevant when you were using it as points to why a console is superior when the factors can be applied to a pc identically with nearly no effort.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Consoles. Because for me, gaming is more of a social thing and for some reason, I just feel like some kind of troll under a bridge when I game with a computer.