Poll: Do you question people that play opposite gendered character in games

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
For me, it depends. If there are pre-made characters, like in Street Fighter for instance, with different abilities and skills... then no. I'd never question that. That is a matter of skill level, not gender.

However, with games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age I do question people if they pick female characters - mainly because I just don't understand why you'd pick anything other than your own gender in this situation. I've been told people like to "stare at the back end of a female ass" instead of a male one (again, not attracted to video game characters so I don't get that) or they prefer the customisation options for the opposite gender to them (in games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age customisation isn't exactly fantastic. Both genders come out looking super normal unless you use mods).

I'm a guy, so I like to play as guys. Not saying anyone who does differently is wrong per se, I just can't say I understand them.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
In practically any game that you can choose, I make at least one account of each. Unless the role fits one better than the other. For example, I always make a male Revan in KotOR because it just seems to fit better. I just can't picture a female Revan properly. On the other hand, in KotOR: Sith Lords, I always play female, because I always felt she fit the role better. Even in background canon it's like that.

Wayneguard said:
Usually I don't, but sometimes I HAVE to do it... I can't see playing it any other way. Fallout 3/NV, for example, must be played as a female character. I have no idea why. The same goes for race. I am white and I must play Dark Souls as a black person; I can't stand playing any other character (this one I think stems from Diablo 2's black paladin).
Similar to here. Except I usually play FO3 female and NV male.

mahtar

Feb 13, 2004
I personally use a male character as my main choice online simply so it is more like an avatar of myself to improve imersion slightly but i have played opposite sex chacaters and know others who do the same and never questioned it. I find it funny that I've only ever seen r/l males playing female characters get called on this by r/l males trying to chat up girls online. I don't question it offline so I wouldn't question it online either.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I've got no problem with it, people can play as whoever they want. When given customisation options I always make the character look and act like myself, but I'll happily play as Samus, and you know I can't think of a single other game I own where the protagonist is female and now I feel kinda weird about that like it makes me a bad person somehow. Oh! Perfect Dark! At least it's not just one game anymore.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
Personally i'd encourage playing as both genders in different playthroughs.
To pick out differences in character attitudes towards them or to see how being female affects dialogue options
etc.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I used to wonder about people who pretend to be the opposite gender (say in WoW) because I thought it was a bit weird.
But loads of games have me playing as a guy and I'm not so I'm in no position to think it's weird the other way around.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Dread Skavos said:
I play female characters when given the choice because I figure if I am going to see them for the duration of the game they might as well be eye candy.
I am guessing this is a part of the reason guys play as girls.

Personally I don't question guys who play as female characters because I am assuming they want some eye candy. As for me I don't play as female characters and just go with custom male 2 because I get bored quickly when customizing characters. The Exception being the Saints Row games where I love playing as a burly male with a female voice or fat lady with a deep male voice. I'm a simple minded person and I wont deny that.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
Nope.

I play as a female character from time to time, because why not? I just like to see what the armors look like on female characters, its not like a pretend to be a girl while I play as one.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
No, why would I? Whatever floats their boat...
I can't speak for everyone, but when I do it, it's to see the aesthetic differences in armour between genders.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
I just don't see the point of playin female characters, i just feel so awkward playing one because i try to immerse myself into games and being a female doesnt hlp it unless they have sick as fuck spell animations(ud females hoho)

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I don't question them, I just find them amusing to study a bit before losing interest.

I used to get rather offended/shocked/vocal about male gamers opting to play anaemic females with super jiggly D cups on top and an ass that could feed a small village for a month.

Then I noticed that gay gamers used male avatars for just the same purposes... well, anything goes. Doesn't mean I can't have fun with the more carnal virtual guilty pleasures. Or the encrusted stains all over the monitor, couch or business notebook.

himemiya1650

Jan 16, 2010
Not really, being on those internets regardless of gender played I tend to assume its a dude IRL until confirmed to be otherwise.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
My gender matters to me about as much as my hair colour, eye colour and race. So i'll play as either of them. If I play a game a second time (and it is an option) i'll do it as the gender I didn't play the first time.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
No. Although I have been questioned myself on it. I guess it's not as weird since I'm a girl. My reasoning is boring though; Games that tend to allow gender selection also tend to have the coolest outfits for guys, or ones that at least sit better on their models.

Case in point; Skyrim. I love the Fur armour for chilling in towns, but the female variants just look ridiculous. Same with the Dragonscale armour.

The only games I recall that averts that issue is Mass Effect 2/3. Femshep looks just as bad ass as Default Shep in all her outfits (apart from the N7 leather outfit in 3. That's just silly). My personal favourite is the Serrice Council chest piece.

On a related note, my guy friend proudly plays lady characters, and seems to think "If I have to look at an ass for 10 hours, I want it to be a chicks!" is a bullet proof argument.

I mean I guess it is, but when he says it, he just sounds like a stereotypical basement dwelling uber nerd.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No and why should I? They have their reasons to play the oppersite gender to theirs (I heard one reason is that he prefer the armour on the female).

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
DoPo said:
Jynthor said:
NeutralDrow said:
No. I am one of those people.
Just giving you heads up - you only quoted without adding anything there.

OT: I still wander what we're questioning people on. I think I'll just go on and assume anybody who is playing a game that has any sort of choice has issues - play as the same gender as you - you're secretly gay (unless it's not a secret, in which case it's weird). Play as the opposite gender and you have gender issues (or if you're gay, you're secretly straight). Play as undead, you're into necrophilia. Play as a different race, you're into weirder shit. Play a class you clearly aren't, you're an escapist (ha-ha) and you have issues with reality. Play something that's the same as you and you're a mindless drone that lacks imagination.

See, now everybody has issues. And we don't even need to question what they are. We're all on the same boat.
I was just playing a game where I was a passenger on a plane, but im not a passenger on a plane. Does this mean I have delusions of altitude?