Poll: Do you regret your first tattoo?

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I don't regret my first. Nor my second (rubber duck on the bum*). I need someone to design my next one though as I have zero artistic merits in that department.

*for charity.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
I somewhat regret my first one. Mainly because I was a very different person eight years ago and an upside-down Elder Sign doesn't entirely fight me anymore. That being said I was also sort of pressured into it by my girlfriend at the time.

And it was so nice of her to pressure me to get a tattoo I only sort of like even back then and then break up with me a month later.

My second tattoo which is a stylized rose over my heart I prefer much more. And It's also a matching tattoo (only the colors are different) with my wife who I have been with for seven years (we got the matching tattoo last year)

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
I don't regret the content of the tattoo, but I do regret the style its in. I wish I could have it redone. It just looks kind of crudely drawn...no detail. Maybe one day I'll have it fixed up.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I don't regret it at all.

It's Mjølnir (Hammer of Thor) beneath 2 viking style dragons heads.
the background is typical Norse style filling.

Why would I regret that?

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I've wanted to get a tattoo, but because I like to change things from time to time, I've always been worried that I would regret it. I wonder, do most people regret it because of the tattoo's look or because of the reason they got it?

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
I don't regret any of my tattoos. I'm actually going in to finish my sleeve on my right arm in May to celebrate completing my Masters :D I'm getting a Jungian "wounded healer" in the form of a skeleton sewing up a heart with a gaping hole where her's is. Can't wait.

Maybe I don't regret my first tattoo because I waited (as painful as it was to wait) until I was 24 before getting my first one.

If I didn't then I would most likely have a large amount of shitty "OOH! THAT'D BE COOL!" tattoos.

Thankfully I don't and each one has a special meaning and interpretation.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
Nexxis said:
I've wanted to get a tattoo, but because I like to change things from time to time, I've always been worried that I would regret it. I wonder, do most people regret it because of the tattoo's look or because of the reason they got it?
So long as it's meaningful to you and has some significance I don't see you regretting it.

As for the tattoos look, I cannot stress enough, go to a reputable shop. Reputable shop doesn't always mean expensive either. Mine are professionally done and quite badass and I pay about 150 for 3 hours of work. Some of my friends have paid much more for much less with shittier quality.

Also, if the place looks sketch and dirty, run. Run very fast.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Thought I'd join in and post

It's got a little bigger since then as that was just a session shot from the artist but you get the idea.

Liking my fellow forumgoers' tats in here as well, nice everyone. :)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Selvec said:
Wish I could get a tat, but I freak out whenever a needle makes it way towards my precious flesh.
It doesn't even look like a needle, it looks more like a big pen. ...however it feels more like a thousand mosquitoes with tiny chainsaws are going to town on your flesh.

PatientZero

Jul 1, 2010
I don't regret mine and as its covering up scaring I hated I don't think I ever will. Its black lilies and vines on my right hip.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
DanielBrown said:
I don't have any tattoos yet. I'm a sissy that doesn't want to do one until I'm 100% sure I really want it on my body for the rest of my life. :(
Well that's fair enough. I, myself am only getting one tattoo. One that is going to be timelessly badass, that I will never regret.

When I go into the Royal Marines, I'm having the symbol tattooed on my arms.

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
I don't have a Tattoo, but I couldn't help but bring this to the party:

Hope it didn't help at all!

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
I don't regret my tattoo. I barely even notice it anymore and it's on my shoulder. That's what protects me from thinking I'll come to hate it in forty years.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
No tattoos yet. I'm pretty indecisive about whether I ever want one. I struggle to think of anything that I want on my skin long term. Something I wouldn't get bored with or feel like it had lost its relevancy.

Funnily enough, the best I can come up with is my own name! I'm sort-of resigned to the fact that if/when I get married, I'll probably end up changing my surname. But I really like my maiden name. So maybe if/when that day comes, I'll get it tattooed somewhere discrete and keep it forever.

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
I have joined materia slots on my shoulder. I have never regretted it for a second haha.

I want to get more ink, but that was the only thing I was ever TOTALLY sure I wanted and I can't think of anything else. I was thinking of the Sign of Chaos, but I dunno... I'd feel like a poser since I don't play the tabletop Warhammer game.

Also, I've got no one to impress with tattoos, and (kind of like smoking), very few people will consider NOT having a tattoo a deal-breaker, but plenty of people will. See Kristian Fischer's post on the first page.

mlooshka

Nov 19, 2009
I have a rule for every tattoo I get: when I get an idea, I put it in a folder with a date stamp. If I still want it a year from then, then I get it.

I love every single one of my tats, and I have a backlog of images that have made the 1 year cutoff but I just haven't been able to afford yet.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
I'm getting my friend to do a tattoo for me in a few weeks or so. Nothing big as he isn't very good yet but as an artist he is fucking fantastic. I'm only asking for Chaly (the mascot for Overkill) on my back or arm. Any suggestions (besides not letting my friend do it)?