Poll: Do You Regularly Buy Games On/during the First Few Weeks of Launch Day?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Since I have had little to no time to play many games lately, no.

Once my course is over, I can start buying games again, might start renting them too, the short ones (like Metal Gear Rising)
Ah but Tizzy my good man, one playthough of Metal Gear Rising isn't enough. You'll want to play it again and again...unlock all the weapons....play the higher difficulties....dat soundtrack.....FUCKING JETSTREAM DLC!!!

Seriously, it's sucks you right the hell in. Then again I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to Platinum Games.

DesertHawk

Jul 18, 2008
I buy most of my games within the first couple of days of launch. I'm a bit impatient and impulsive. So, if it interests me, I would rather have a game sooner rather than later.

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
I've done it a couple times in the past with AAA console games, but now that I do most of my gaming through Steam I would NEVER buy on launch day, because that means paying the full $60 for a digital copy, which is a total ripoff.

The old $60 pricing plan accounts for physical packaging, shipping and distribution, and a cut for the retailers. Paying $60 for a digital copy of the game is essentially allowing them to steal from you. It amazes me the kind of shit these big companies get away with due to the apathy of the consumers.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I played the Mafia II demo and loved it, I bought the full game when it became $30 dollars. I absolutely hated it.

So then I created an internal list of conditons:

It depends on:

1. How much time I have to play games? (at the time)
2. How much money I'm willing to spend for games? (at the time)
3. How familiar I am with the game's developer?
4. How familiar I am with the game? (or game series) via demo or previous titles.

It worked sometime. I bought Metro 2033 when it was $5. Not a bad game, but if I had spent more than $5 on it, I would have been annoyed.

But sometimes it doesn't work. I pre-ordered Portal 2 on Steam, unlocked it on release and beat it 7 hours.

so now I added two more conditions:

5. How replayable is the game in singleplayer? (based on reports and reviews)
6. Does it have multiplayer that might be fun?

And then there's the extra condition concerning Indie Bundles and other deals.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I cannot remember the last game I bought at or even near launch. I just bought Dishonored, and I think that may be the closest to a launch I have bought a game lately. I have tons of games I haven't even played yet (3 jobs, family, teaching, ect.), so I have no problem waiting.

Aug 19, 2010
I know there are a myriad of very valid reasons why buying day-one is bad, but so far i've only been burned about 5% of the time. I even have been known to pre-order games on occasion.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
anthony87 said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Since I have had little to no time to play many games lately, no.

Once my course is over, I can start buying games again, might start renting them too, the short ones (like Metal Gear Rising)
Ah but Tizzy my good man, one playthough of Metal Gear Rising isn't enough. You'll want to play it again and again...unlock all the weapons....play the higher difficulties....dat soundtrack.....FUCKING JETSTREAM DLC!!!

Seriously, it's sucks you right the hell in. Then again I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to Platinum Games.
I'm sure 5 nights of non-stop play will be enough! I will cut through the game like the melons shown in the trailers!

Also, DLC? Is it substantial?
Kinda. You play as Sam so the playstyle is totally different compared to Raiden, and it's much more difficult compared to the main game but it's only a couple of hours long while being made for replayability. I'm pretty much in love with the game so the length doesn't really bother me but I can understand why some people might be put off by paying a tenner for a 2 hour or so DLC.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
The only games I've payed full price for are ones that left me lying awake at night dying to play the day of their release, which are Fallout or Elder Scrolls. Everything else I just wait for, because prices have gotten beyond stupid.

New Vegas taught me a lesson to grow some more patience and wait anyway, and let others pay $60 for the privilege of being a beta tester.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I normally buy them weeks, months after its release because I have backlogs I would like to decrease.

But I bought Bioshock infinite a week after its release because everyone just wont stop talking about the ending. If I were to hang around this forum, I'd rather not risk getting spoiled on anything.

Congratulations Ken Levine, you just got a 2nd week sale out of me.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
I almost NEVER buy on launch day. I almost always buy on-sale. I refuse to pay full price for any game. The most i consider reasonable is $30 or less. Although on average the games i buy are under $15. I buy a lot of used games at Gamestop and games on sale on Steam. And even still, i have too many games to play. Just don't see any reason to spend an outrageous amount of money i don't have on AAA games. (a lot of stuff i buy is indie or lower-budget games)

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
The last game I bought at full price was Tomb Raider, which really was worth it(Haven't tried the MP yet though).

I'll only do it for games I'm really hyped for though on some rare occasions I won't buy them even then and can wait well over a month before I buy them which was the case with Far Cry 3(Which is a very good game but with some problems).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I occasionally buy one or two titles a year that are relatively new, but consumers keep getting burned at launch so I hold off.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yes... if I am interested in a game, I buy it on the first week (although since I mostly import them, I only play them 2 or 3 weeks after release)...

The reasons I do this are:
1- If the game has a strong singleplayer component, I like to play it when its fresh in order to avoid spoilers on the Internet.
2- If the game has a strong multiplayer component, the first weeks after release are the best time to play it. A few months down the line, and the multiplayer becomes a wasteland or is filled with people that way overpower me due to countless hours of experience.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
I very rarely buy them new and I NEVER preorder them its never worth it. why you may ask money issues usually, I'm a student how many students do you know who can buy new games every month?

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
I buy more games well after launch than at launch, but buy a few right away.