Poll: Do you RP when playing RPG's?

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
NeonZombie said:
nilcypher said:
Let's stop flaming other users shall we Zombie?
Ah sorry it just annoys me coz i don't like it - not really sure why i just think it's quite sad
I'm not sure what it is about Roleplaying that annoys you. I figure anyone who spends much time playing video games is on the same level as someone who plays D&D or something like that on a regular basis. I'm someone who does some of both and find them to be entirely separate experiences that are both entertaining in markedly different ways.

RichardEdwards

Feb 14, 2009
I've played tabletop RP games before and they're great fun with four of five people and a case of beer. Surprisingly, players seem to be able to make more character-appropriate decisions after a few, (the shinyness of that +3 Ring Of Jumping is less attractive than putting on a Scottish accent and shouting at someone in a tavern, I guess.)

Never tried an RP server for a MMORPG though. Tempted to give it a go now though... =/

KayOss_92

Feb 13, 2009
No!! If an rpg doesn't already make you feel like a different person without need for effort on your part then it isn't doing it's job now, is it? 0.o

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
KayOss_92 said:
No!! If an rpg doesn't already make you feel like a different person without need for effort on your part then it isn't doing it's job now, is it? 0.o
Games can lead you to the doorway of immersiveness, But they can't push you in if you're grinding your feet. If you don't try to get into the game you never will. You're ultimently sitting in front of a 2d screen inside the comfort of your house. You might have an argument when they develop VR the stimulates all 5 senses.

anNIALLator

Jul 24, 2008
I've never really thought about it but i'm generally just a goody two shoes in RPGs. In Fallout 3, I never went below neutral karma, and that was when I blew up megaton.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
KayOss_92 said:
So Dungeons & Dragons isn't an RPG?
I mean, it takes at least some effort on the player's part to really feel like the character they're pretending to be.

Captain Kong

Feb 12, 2009
harhol said:
If "killing everyone" counts as RP, consider me a fan.
Heh, I can sort of relate this to something I did in Fallout 3 recently. I made a new save slot, grabbed a hockey mask and some dirty clothes, then went on a "Wasteland Chainsaw Massacre."

But in all seriousness, I do like to RP for reals in games. I usually play the tough, yet kind guy who prefers to solve situations with dialogue rather than brute force.

Even if I am playing a game that isn't an RPG, I like to really act as if I'm the main character. Example: When I play something like Half-Life 2, I will walk around and try to act like Gordan Freeman really would in the current situation.