Poll: Do You Run?

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I do all my running on a machine at the gym. That way, I can safely zone out without worrying about traffic, muggers, etc.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
God no. I find if I try and go for a run I lose heart after not very far. My only exercise besides walking about is doing half a bajillion press-ups and sit-ups every morning.

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
Would love to, but can't. Literally can't

Long story short: Both of my knees are fucked up, can't straighten my legs. If I try, I end up dislocating the patella. So running, jumping etc. are out of my reach.

zxvcasdfqwerzxcv

Nov 19, 2009
I run.... to the fridge! (Nom!)
Honestly though, I try and run (on crosstraining machines, because running on paths ruins my messed up knees) at least three times a week. Maybe 8km a session. Would love to do more, but I'm not that fit, and I've recently done something to my lower back that's griefing me constantly. Hopefully it'll get sorted soon at an osteopath and I can be back exercising properly again.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Not unless I have to be somewhere in a hurry and I don't have a bike available. I find running to be quite boring when there's no motivation, incentive or competition, so I generally won't run for its own sake. Its kinda the reason why I loved running races when I did cross-country with my school and didn't really enjoy training.

Omega500

Dec 2, 2009
I don't run but i do do a hell of a lot of cycling. My commute is 16 miles to and from work, and i can do it faster then people in Iron cages (car drivers)
I also do lot of sponsored cycle rides for British hart foundation and I am the head guy for Sky ride in this area.
Every summer i do Lands end to John-o-groats (basically i ride from one end of Britain the the other) I takes me 14 days at 60 miles per day, we could do more but we like to go at a steady pace and stop off at places admire the view ect some people do 200+ miles a day for it.

I know a few runners and they are a bit Elitist. Some do these spartan race things.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I find running soo boring. I do kickboxing and when I'm at the gym I do mostly rowing, I can't run for more than about 5 mintues without wanting to die.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
I used to. Sadly, certain... health problems now stop me from doing so.

I look forward to getting back out there again, but after so long it's going to be hard. Especially on my back.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I hate running, so the only time I do it is when I'm out with my dogs so that they get so preoccupied with keeping up with me that they forget to jump into every nearby body of water and come out covered in mud.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
I tend to have some matches of nerf and I LARP. So yeah I run, when it feels natural to run. Having a werewolf hot on your tail does wonders to the motivation.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Goofguy said:
I've only ever done one half marathon but I mostly do 5k runs. Any more than 7-8 clicks and I get pretty fucking bored.
Thankfully someone else understands. I do 5km runs as well and have to have music AND a story going in my head. I just find it so damn tedious.

I have played marathon soccer matches that have lasted 5 hours where there was probably 15 to 20 km of running but it was the soccer that kept me going.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I used to party every weekend and that was my cardio.
Now I dont, so I listen to loud music and walk for an hour or two instead.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Oh man, I love me some running. Pretty sure I hold a few local records in the 100m "OHSHITTHETRAIN" and the 200m Pikeychase.

But in all seriousness, exercising? for fun? What utter twaddle! You must be daft, son!

And now actually serious, no I do not run for fun or exercise. I might take a brisk stroll across a few fields and footpaths, maybe a little jaunt on the North downs, but running is a bit too much of a commitment to being healthy.

You can't smoke and run either. I've tried, you get smoke in your eyes and up your nose, you almost swallow your fag and it's just generally unpleasant. Would not recommend.

Squirrels also tend to run away from you if you run towards them. I'm not a bad shot with a stone but it's hard to hit a small moving target. If you sneak up on 'em you can catch 'em off guard and give the little furry bastards a bad headache.

If you have no idea what I'm on about watch this. Only a few minutes are relevant, and I've set the link to start at the relevant point, but I recommend watching the whole show, Al Murray is fantastic. http://youtu.be/UA_8PfMdr-8?t=37m20s

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I walk on the treadmill - still not fit enough to be able to sustain a run for long. So I just load up an episode of a show and walk until it's over. It's a brisk walk, but no running. Don't know if I ever will - I damaged my knee about a year ago and it hasn't gotten better. Which is annoying, since al I was doing was walking up my front steps to my door with some groceries and I wrenched my knee. And now if my knee isn't hurting, my achilles tendon hurts because of my walking a bit oddly to avoid knee pain. Yay getting older.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
I usually run 3-5 miles twice a week, although i have no intention to do any marathons or such: It's just useful cardio work for the other sports i do (Boxing and Rugby)

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
FoolKiller said:
Goofguy said:
I've only ever done one half marathon but I mostly do 5k runs. Any more than 7-8 clicks and I get pretty fucking bored.
Thankfully someone else understands. I do 5km runs as well and have to have music AND a story going in my head. I just find it so damn tedious.

I have played marathon soccer matches that have lasted 5 hours where there was probably 15 to 20 km of running but it was the soccer that kept me going.
That's because those soccer matches are considerably more fun and if you're the competitive type, you'll keep driving yourself through exhaustion. Plus, all the stopping, sprinting, pivoting and quick turns work out those leg muscles that wouldn't necessarily be exercised through normal running.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
As I like to keep my joints in full working order, I generally don't run, no.

I walk quickly. I swim, climb and otherwise go for enjoying the functionality of the meat machine as long as it lasts. Running just does not seem to be a smart choice.

Plus, the average runner pisses me off beyond belief, no matter whether we go for the random encounter on urban sidewalks or we bump into each other in the woods. There are, of course, exceptions, but the average runner just induces a bout of misanthropy in dear old me.