Poll: Do You Run?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Coppernerves said:
Running.

I do it whenever I'm outside, because it's quicker and less boring than walking.

But I really don't get why people would do it as a hobby, or how they can enjoy it.

It looks just as dull and brainless as swimming and rowing, and wanting to breath more air in when your lungs are already full, and while your legs ache from a lack of oxygen, is so uncomfortable.
In this world where everyday life is full of sensory overloads by being hooked up to electronics constantly, it's a good thing to have a simple hobby, don't ya think?

OT: Been trying to get back into it. Used to run Cross Country back in High School, and I actually really enjoyed being in shape. I miss the energy boost it gives me in everyday life. I've been rather inactive lately, and I've noticed just how fucking tired it makes me. I also notice that when I'm lazy and don't get out much to do a physical activity, I start to get depressed.

So yes, I run. Or at least I'm starting to.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
You guys make me feel like a freak now. Surely I thought there might be someone else like me on this site, but sadly no....so far.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Being in the U.S. Army, I have to run very often. The length/difficulty varies constantly. Example: I did a ruck run (run and walk with a 50+ lb pack on my back in full uniform) for 6 miles in an hour and a half or less. Finished at 1 hour 18 min.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
ellers07 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I used to a couple times a week about a few months ago, but then I got really busy and just stopped.

It's hard running for me since I have a shit ankle, but I do have a brace for it so it makes life easier for me there. I really need to start back up since a friend of mine and myself are thinking of doing this zombie run 5K thing in November and I need to get into shape for that.
That would be awesome! I've seen some of those advertised and they look like a lot of fun. I did run one of those obstacle course 5Ks where you get to play in the mud, climb over walls, over cars, under barbed wire and all that. I highly recommend it.
The mud one happened not too long ago here and I really wanted to do that one, but the zombie one sounds like a blast. I saw a video of it so I kind of have an idea of what's gonna happen. I need to really start training that way I don't look like an idiot while running like a madwoman away from those zombies.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I have a lifter's build and pretty bad asthma. If I run, I can get about a hundred meters before I start to get breathless, and three hundred meters could land me in the hospital.

I only run if I NEED to get somewhere fast, and it's close (say, across the bus station). For exercise, I walk and lift.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
michael87cn said:
Tried it for a while. Got heart palps for a week and had to stop.

Before you tell someone to get off their ass and exercise, think that maybe not everyone is the same.

Not everyone can do brutal exercise.

Also, running is technically bad for you if you over-do it. The body isn't meant to work that hard. In nature, running is used as a survival tool, it's not something to be practiced dailys. you'll burn your body out.

The human body is pretty darn fragile.
Fragile is the wrong word. I've slipped and pile-drived my skull into ice with my three-hundred pound bulk and bent my leg wrong on the way down. I left with a headache and sore leg (both were fine by the end of the day). That doesn't sound "fragile" to me.

At any rate, you're not correct. Everyone CAN do brutal exercise, if they choose the right kind for their physique and work up to it. It's also difficult to burn your body out if you exercise moderation (a must for any workout that's not meant to put you in the Olympics) and eat right. (I'd say "impossible", but there's always one or two people out there who are really that sickly.)

Heart palpitations from running? That's not an excuse to sit around, that's a hell of a wakeup call that you really need to take up light jogging. Or, if it's truly a medical condition, have you tried lifting or flexibility exercises, or swimming?

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
The only time I like to run is after already running for a dreadful while and getting a chance to rest. As you can imagine, it's pretty hard to motivate to start running, but when I do I'll go all-out.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Do I run what?

Oh, you mean the leg thing? I run everywhere, I never walk, even when I'm in the middle of a town or central hub area. Why anyone would walk I'll never understand.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Phlakes said:
I played tennis for a long ass time and a lot of the training was running (speed and endurance). It was terrible.

I quit a couple years ago and tried to run on my own, and it's just an unpleasant experience in every way. Your legs hurt, you can't breather, you get blisters if you don't put way too much money down on nice shoes, it takes a long time (the only reliable way to fit it in each day is getting up early, and fuck that shit), plus you're sweaty and tired for like an hour afterwards and you'll most likely be sore for at least a day. You have to be either really fit or really committed to becoming really fit.
I agree with this... seriously it's pretty much torture... I never understood the people who say that it gives them a buzz... it's more like waking up after getting shit faced... your throat is dry, your head hurts, you have lots of weird pains in places you didn't know existed, and you're covered in sweat...<.<

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
I have really gotten into running after starting the Couch-to-5k program. I feel great afterwards. It's become one of my fave exercises.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Not yet but seeing as running a bleep test is an entry requirement for my dream job then I'll definitely start eventually. I don't think I'll start until after I finish my exams.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
ellers07 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I used to a couple times a week about a few months ago, but then I got really busy and just stopped.

It's hard running for me since I have a shit ankle, but I do have a brace for it so it makes life easier for me there. I really need to start back up since a friend of mine and myself are thinking of doing this zombie run 5K thing in November and I need to get into shape for that.
That would be awesome! I've seen some of those advertised and they look like a lot of fun. I did run one of those obstacle course 5Ks where you get to play in the mud, climb over walls, over cars, under barbed wire and all that. I highly recommend it.
The mud one happened not too long ago here and I really wanted to do that one, but the zombie one sounds like a blast. I saw a video of it so I kind of have an idea of what's gonna happen. I need to really start training that way I don't look like an idiot while running like a madwoman away from those zombies.
It does look like a lot of fun. The one I had seen advertised you could sign up to run it or be one of the zombies. I would definitely want to run it first, but it could be fun playing the zombie another year. Have fun with it and good luck (and don't get bitten of course)!

moostar

Nov 26, 2010
Every weekend, I tend go out on a three, or four if im really feel like i want to go farther down on a roadway. Normally, i ain't always so active, spending amount of time watching videos, playing games, or just studying for tests, but ever since I joined my High school"s Navy ROTC Fitness team, I've been doing different various types of excise, such as running, doing some push ups, lifting up to 40 pounds, and sit-ups, The team, and I will be heading off to another competition in April, so wish me the best of luck, and sorry if i went off the topic ^^.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
I can't, My body hates it. I think it's down to the way that I'm built, because I'm not unfit. On the contrary, I do more exercise than most.

I do cycle like a demon, however. Love me some cycling.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Too many "its good to be single" evenings on my couch with the cat, a bag of chips and a Swarzenegger movie has rendered me in terrible shape.. I really should do some running for health and fitness reasons, but I'm also terribly lazy... I need someone to drag me out the door and go for a run every day or something D=.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Playful Pony said:
Too many "its good to be single" evenings on my couch with the cat, a bag of chips and a Swarzenegger movie has rendered me in terrible shape.. I really should do some running for health and fitness reasons, but I'm also terribly lazy... I need someone to drag me out the door and go for a run every day or something D=.
You can gladly come running with me. I promise I won't kill you. :D

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Julius Terrell said:
Playful Pony said:
You can gladly come running with me. I promise I won't kill you. :D
I wasn't worried until you said you promise not to kill me Oo'..

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I used to run all the time, when I was training for soccer I was running five miles every couple of days. Now I can do maybe a slow mile or two without stopping thanks to the cigarettes. I might be able to get close to where I was before but I know I've already done irreparable harm to my lungs.

Anyways I have a lot of respect for people that run marathons, I don't know how they manage to stay focused on running the whole time I got bored as shit running the same roads every day.