Poll: Do you still like Doctor Who?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
After wayching Doctor Who this evening I have desided that I am done with it (at least until Matt Smith and/or Moffat leave) and I am wondering how others feel about the show right now.

I have found Matt Smith to be a very underwhelming Doctor who irritates me when he is being 'fun' and 'quirky' and he makes me laugh when he trys to be angry and serious as he reminds me of a 6 year old who dresses in his Dad's clothes and claims that he is a big boy now.

I have found Amy and Rory to be very inoying and if they die again and it sticks then I will happly watch that episode over and over again. I will not even start on River bloody Song as I will be typing for hours but to summarize I hate her with the power of a million suns.

And last but not least I thik that Moffat cannot write, at all. I have found most of his episodes to be very dull (Blink was good), and he cannot run a whole series to save his life. His pacing seems off, their were whole episode where nothing really seemed to happen except a bunch of characters standing around talking about how scared they are for 45 mins. Plus he inflicted River bloody Song on the world and I have yet to forgive him.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I have not really enjoyed the series since Moffat took over. Smith is good IMO, but he can't pull off Angry Doctor like Tennant and Eccleston could. It's mostly the writing and especially FUCKING RIVER SONG that put me off it.

For the poll, yes I like the show as a whole, but not the most recent seasons.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:

I find the show to be miles better than under RTD myself. Smith feels like he actually is the Doctor as opposed to Emo Tennant of season 4 and 4.5, and I prefer River Song to Rose and Martha any day.

Overall, it can be better of course, but after what RTD did to it, you really couldn't go any lower.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I think that the show did get a bit too cheap when it came to plot turns, but it's still enjoyable in my opinion. Mainly because the characters are still ripe with charm regardless of their actions. And yes, River Song was treated way more deeply than she should've been, but she didn't ruin the entire show. At least not for me.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Well, Moffat is one of the head writers for Sherlock which is brilliant, and many of his episodes under Davis where also excellent so I don't agree that he is a bad writer. There have been bits that weren't great in the last couple of series but its still one of the best things on the telly at the moment.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I think Matt Smith is doing a pretty awesome job at playing the Doctor, and I think he's way better at being the angry scary Doctor than the other two.

Amy and Rory annoyed the shit out of me when they first showed up, and I felt they added nothing. Now I like them and I will be sad to see them leave when they do. I know I'm in the minority when I say I like River Song, but I think she's all kinds of awesome, plus I like the actress that plays her.
ClockworkPenguin said:
Well, Moffat is one of the head writers for Sherlock which is brilliant, and many of his episodes under Davis where also excellent so I don't agree that he is a bad writer. There have been bits that weren't great in the last couple of series but its still one of the best things on the telly at the moment.
I don't think he's a bad writer either and I think he's doing a great job with Sherlock. I do think some of the stuff he wrote for Dr. Who weren't great, but I think it's unrealistic to think that every episode is gonna be all kinds of awesome all the time.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
ClockworkPenguin said:
To each their own I guess. I tried watching Sherlock and I was very bored. And I am not someone who needs action every other second. For example two of my favorite shows are The West Wing and Battlestar Galactica.

theLadyBugg

May 24, 2010
...I'm the only one that likes River, then. I haven't seen the season opener yet (2.5 hours until it airs in the US), but I'm definitely over Matt Smith and ready to try Doctor #12. He's so...arrogant. So over-confident in his ability to be smarter than everybody else, decide who lives and dies and "save the day," to the point where it undoes everything that the Doctor learned in the previous four series, especially with Waters of Mars, Children of Earth, and The End of Time.

From the 2005-on series, we have the ninth Doctor who learns how to live with himself again after the horror of the Time War (remember how overjoyed he was at the end of The Doctor Dances? "Everybody lives!! Just this once, everybody lives!"). We have the tenth Doctor, who is painfully adamant about not using guns, and takes incredible strides not to hurt anyone unless it's absolutely necessary. His companions keep him in check, and his top concern is that none of them are hurt. And we have the eleventh Doctor, a proudly quirky man who picks up a precocious Scot to go chasing down mysteries to prove he's the biggest badass in time and space, frequently letting her (or Rory) get lost in the process, figuring he'll get them back eventually. At first I didn't like him, but figured I just missed Tennant and needed to give the new guy time to grow on me. Two full series later, I know this just isn't "my" Doctor.

And what's worse is that BBC America advertises the series ad nauseum as though Smith, Gillian and Darvill are the *only* cast that's ever been. Right now they're pushing a twitter thing for "new to Who," asking people to remember when they first got into the series -- and with the rare mention of Blink, nobody references an episode older than The Eleventh Hour. Sigh.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
theLadyBugg said:
And we have the eleventh Doctor, a proudly quirky man who picks up a precocious Scot to go chasing down mysteries to prove he's the biggest badass in time and space, frequently letting her (or Rory) get lost in the process, figuring he'll get them back eventually.
Any worse than the man who threw a temper tantrum when he had to save Wilfred Mott, who was essentially his best friend at that point?

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I haven't watched much of Matt Smith's Doctor (one episode, to be precise), so I can't really make an opinion about the direction I think the series is going.

I have quite enjoyed the episodes I have seen, though.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
I still rather like it.

I'm a great big fan of Matt Smith, I think he's doing a cracking job and I like the fact that the character has a 'still loving the wonders of the universe' vibe that was missing from most of Tennant's era. Not all, but most.

I don't think Asylum was the greatest episode, but I still enjoyed all of it, even if I did see the ending coming a mile (or thirty minutes) away. I can't wait for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, it looks tacky-tastic.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Gizmo1990 said:

I find the show to be miles better than under RTD myself. Smith feels like he actually is the Doctor as opposed to Emo Tennant of season 4 and 4.5, and I prefer River Song to Rose and Martha any day.

Overall, it can be better of course, but after what RTD did to it, you really couldn't go any lower.
I know right? I got really sick of David Tennant whining all the time. Don't get me wrong, he was a brilliant Doctor but it felt like he turned into a whinging child near the end with the "curse of the Time Lords" bullshit, melancholy speeches and the temper tantrum he threw before he regenerated.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Erja_Perttu said:
I still rather like it.

I'm a great big fan of Matt Smith, I think he's doing a cracking job and I like the fact that the character has a 'still loving the wonders of the universe' vibe that was missing from most of Tennant's era. Not all, but most.

I don't think Asylum was the greatest episode, but I still enjoyed all of it, even if I did see the ending coming a mile (or thirty minutes) away. I can't wait for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, it looks tacky-tastic.
If any character says 'I am sick and tired of these motherflipping Dinosaurs on this motherflipping spaceship' it will make my week.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
It's... different from what it used to be with Davies, but I do still enjoy it and I find Matt Smith to be a very enjoyable and crazy Doctor.

Amy and Rory can get a bit repetitive though, but Amy's looks certainly don't...

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Do I still like Doctor Who?

Is the pope Catholic?

Does a wild bear shit in the woods?

Did London host the 2012 Summer Olympics?

Is this post getting clear enough to everyone?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Of course I do. There have been a few annoyances, but these are pretty easy to get over. Hell, some of the people who are complaining should get to me when the writers bastardise the Doctor and the show like Marvel did to Spidey in one more day

theLadyBugg

May 24, 2010
Ninjamedic said:
theLadyBugg said:
And we have the eleventh Doctor, a proudly quirky man who picks up a precocious Scot to go chasing down mysteries to prove he's the biggest badass in time and space, frequently letting her (or Rory) get lost in the process, figuring he'll get them back eventually.
Any worse than the man who threw a temper tantrum when he had to save Wilfred Mott, who was essentially his best friend at that point?
I'm not suggesting that either of the previous two Doctors were the pinnacle of heroism -- and I'll admit that by the fourth between-series special for Tennant to say goodbye, I was wishing he would just get on with it and regenerate already. But during his three series, yeah, I saw a better dedication to protecting/defending friends than I see in Smith. How many times has Rory or Amy turned up, demanding to know where the other is, and he brushes it off insisting they step back so he can work on some other part of the plan?

I see the Doctor, in all of his regenerations, as one long character development. Obviously there are some personality changes with each new iteration - but I see a particular kind of irresponsible egotism from this Doctor, and it feels like a step back in terms of character development. The antics of a younger man type of thing. Not because the last Doctor was better, but because the last Doctor isn't supposed to be better. I don't think the attitude would even bother me so much if I felt like it was the consummate of all the Doctor's previous experiences.

EDIT because I feel like in my point-making this is going unsaid: I don't think Smith is a bad Doctor. I'm just tired of his Doctor, and the Ponds, and (most of all) BBCA's marketing of Doctor Who. It's been two full series with the same cast, spanning over two years now (I think?), and I'm beginning to see why the show hasn't done this before.

Jan 13, 2012
I used to watch it but it gets way to old and routine.

"Few, we've killed all the Daleks"
A few episodes later
"Oh noz, they are by some miracle back again!"

Rinse, repeat.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Yes.

In fact, Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor of the last three.

I hated David Tennant's Doctor by the end of RTD's run.

To start, the show was a complete insult to anyone with a basic understanding of Physics, Biology, and/or Chemistry. Remember that scene in "The End of Time" when fucking RADAR didn't work because the spaceship powered down? That blew my mind. Then when it powers back up, fuck me if the RADAR didn't instantly pick that shit back up. That's not even close how RADAR works RTD, and being from the country that perfected it during WWII you should know that shit by now. Then there's RTD's complete lack of subtlety throughout most of his seasons. Every scary situation or morally ambiguous situation is hammed up; beat into your face with hatred and urgency, like a football fan at his home team's game. The Daleks were completely benign - if not comedic by the end of Davies' run. RTD's Doctor wiped them out no less than 4 times, but still had the hypocritical balls to refuse to use a gun. I guess as long as a bullet isn't involved it's perfectly fine to casually commit genocide.

The same bipolar personality runs through almost all of Tennant's run. He played a guy who did this all the fucking time:

-Killed the entire Racnoss species because the Empress insisted on eating humans, who were like cattle to her.

-Knowingly killed a Cyberman drone by enabling its ability to feel emotions, essentially forcing it to commit suicide via the tremendous amount of fear and pity it felt for itself because of what had (through no fault of its own) happened to it.

-Doesn't mind obliging a sick man's request for euthanasia by using a moon-powered laser to disintegrate him instead of finding a cure for his illness.

-Insists that an alien-caused obliteration through asphyxiation of an entire human civilization is perfectly acceptable (this is after the Racnoss encounter), and then changes his mind - saving a single family from destruction (because wibbly-wobbly whatever).

So, again, RTD's 10th Doctor has the ability to pull entire planets through space and time with the TARDIS, but will instead opt to drown an entire race and burn their Empress alive completely wiping them from existence after a single vague warning if he's feeling angsty.

By far my favorite episodes from RTD's era were the "Family of Blood" pair of episodes, "Midnight" (which RTD thought was shit), and "The Satan Pit" pair. They had some excellent writing, and RTD even wrote one of them himself. I excluded "Blink" and the Library episodes because those were Moffat's work, but I enjoyed them immensely.

As you can tell, most of my beef is with the writing, and not Tennant's acting. I didn't mind Tennant's acting, though I never found him threatening. Tennant could do curious and snooty/intelligent well, but was never threatening (again: I prefer subtlety).

As for Moffat's 11th Doctor - I like that he seems more alien (at least to me). He's more quirky, he's more aloof, and really seems like an alien who wasn't born human but has a "thing" for them. Matt Smith really knows how to play "weird", which I love, and can pull of threatening much better. Matt Smith's Doctor also seems to be more optimistic, not so bipolar. Dangerous situations are just "problems" to be solved, not the constant dramatic struggle between life and death that RTD preferred.

I adore Amy and Rorey. They're easily my favorite companions. Not only because I have a thing for spitfires (Donna is my choice for 2nd best), but there's an additional dynamic to them besides simply falling for The Doctor and spending 15 episodes figuring out why he's not reciprocating your schoolgirl crush. Donna had a similar thing, which is also why she's my 2nd best.

River is a mixed bag. I think Moffat played her too much. I like the idea of the relationship between River Song and the Doctor (and even called River's relationship to Amy before Moffat's season began), but by the end of last season all the mystery had been sucked dry. The same thing is happening for the Weeping Angels, which are making yet another reappearance (seriously, the Byzantium was enough for a while).

Still, my opinion should be obvious. I think Moffat's writing is much more complex/subtle, and plays more on my preferences than RTD's. Completely embarrassing factual errors aside, I don't hate RTD's era (it's here I bought into the series, after all), and I perfectly understand people who love the 10th Doctor. It's just not my bag, and I have my reasons.