Poll: Do you still like Doctor Who?

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
RTD kept churning out the same old monsters again and again, and David Tennant both IRL and as the doctor got properly annoying (much like Michael McIntyre when he realised he was famous). Chris Ecclestone had the proper kinda tough-guy capability, but DT was good for about 5 minutes, and there wasa just too much soft crap and camp-ness from RTD. He pulled shit out like blowing up the universe with a giant bomb perpetrated by a species that takes joy in each murder. Moffat, in fairness, tried to wipe the universe, but that wasn't someone being retardedly evil, it was someone making a mistake, and people having to deal with it. The big climax with Moffat doesn't have to be the ultimate apocalypse, and the episodes don't just have to be about rampaging monsters. Every episode seemed to drag down with Tennant into fan service and boredom. Aside from the Ecclestone run, Moffatt and Smith have made it a lot better, and it's more watchable than ever. The best thing that RTD did was cast John Simm as The Master: Simm's a good actor and not an annoyingly smug git like Tennant became. And don't get me started on Rose Tyler... she was ok to begin with, but... How could she earn twice as much per episode than the actor playing The Doctor, who was an established actor before landing the role?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Ninjamedic said:
Gizmo1990 said:

I find the show to be miles better than under RTD myself. Smith feels like he actually is the Doctor as opposed to Emo Tennant of season 4 and 4.5, and I prefer River Song to Rose and Martha any day.

Overall, it can be better of course, but after what RTD did to it, you really couldn't go any lower.
I know right? I got really sick of David Tennant whining all the time. Don't get me wrong, he was a brilliant Doctor but it felt like he turned into a whinging child near the end with the "curse of the Time Lords" bullshit, melancholy speeches and the temper tantrum he threw before he regenerated.
I didn't really have an issue with the 10th Doctor's depressed point. I look at it this way:

9th Doctor regenerates. Doesn't have much of an issue with it, because it's another step with moving on from the stuff he (and the 8th Doctor) did in the time war, etc.

10th Doctor is all happy and shizz for quite a damn while. I think what people don't place enough importance on is the finale of Cathrine Tate's series. He loses Rose again, Jack goes back to his life, Martha stays on earth (and Mickey with her) and Sarah Jane goes back to her usual thing.

It just kind of hammers home that any loved ones he has will inevitably leave him, or they'll die either in an adventure or just with him outlasting them. It was touched upon in the Krilitane episode, I believe.

Then I think his regeneration was kind of meant to touch on the idea of if it's changing huge amounts of his personality, and the way he looks, etc, are his pre-existing memories enough for it to really be him?

So I kind of get how dying was something he dreaded. Plus he knew it was coming. Don't know if you've ever had the coming of your death right over your head, but it would wear you the fuck down. I guess the thing with Wilfred at the end is because for a moment, he really thought he had beaten it and then that just comes and blindsides him.

I liked his end, because I think it humanized him (I know he isn't human, but that doesn't mean he has to be irresponsive. That would make a shit character.)

Got into a rant there, but hey-ho.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Firstly, I love Moffat. Perhaps this is residual love thanks to the wonders of Sherlock (If you have not seen it, go and see it. If you HAVE seen it, go and rewatch it. If you are currently rewatching it, stop reading this and keep watching it) but I still think he is more than competant.

As for River Song? I found her dull. My personal theory was more logical in my eyes then the theory that Moffat put forward, in my eyes anyway.

But you know what? I still love Dr Who. I found yesterdays episode weak (If you did not see what was coming coming, you are fail. It was predictable in the extreme) but still incredibly enjoyable. I like Matt Smith (Mainly because I currently dress like this current Doctor) and I like the series as a whole.

So...

Hmm, we are agreed that River Song is a partially annoying. But I still love Dr Who, I will always love Dr Who, I will keep watching Torchwood (Assuming the Americans let go of it and we can return to shorter series not "10 stupidly long rather dull, largely predictable, episodes") and I cannot wait for this coming Saturday when I go back to my sisters to watch the latest episode.

Infact, to iplayer I go.

You lot can keep being angry.

Me? I am going to rewatch "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" whilst eating canned soup and follow it up with yesterdays episode (The name of which I will not state, just incase some Americans still aint watched it)

Cya!

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I mean, I do LIKE it, but Its not as good as it used to be, classic, or even Tennant/Davis era.
But by far it's not as good as it used to be... :/

TheLiham

Apr 15, 2010
I still like Doctor Who... but I can't wait for them to get rid of Matt Smith! Stephen Moffat is a shit writer too. Asylum of The Daleks was the biggest disappointment since the 1996 movie.
The Daleks asked the Doctor to save them. The Daleks wouldn't ask for anything let alone ask the Doctor to kill some insane and broken Daleks that they're too scared to confront. I don't like the eleventh Doctor either. He doesn't take anything seriously and there's no depth left to his character anymore. Thank fuck he's apparently leaving next year.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ugh, the fanboy/girlism in here is sickening.
As for me, I like Matt Smith and I think he does a great job as the Doctor. I love that look he get's on his face when he's about to get his game on and solve everything. Although I have to admit I'm not really liking the direction they've gone with the last 2 seasons/series. I'm not going to be like the rest of you and slam Steven Moffat or anything, after all I don't know what sort of pressure he's under. The point is there is too much I don't know for me to go place all the blame on one guy, esp. since I'm sure he's doing the best he can.
The long and short of it: do I like the latest run of Doctor Who? Not as much as previous runs. Am I going to stick with it anyway? Yes.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I like it still and don't mind moffet or smith so much just because that stupid whore rose tyler she just pissed me off and then as soon as she gets chucked into another dimension just so there was no way to bring that irritating blonde fuck back and even when he had other people like that Donna who I kind of liked or Martha Jones who was interesting to me whenever she showed up but that blonde ***** kept showing the fuck up and once we finally moved on from her he's all emo and I lost one I can't risk another companion so I was a little happy to see smith actually being happy and having fun with his companions without going.

ROSE WHY!?

I'd kill her if I could and her stupid fucking parents and her shit skid friends the lot deserve to suffer forever.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I said "Yes" because Tom Baker will always be Dr. Who for me. I watched reruns of him when I was growing up and my family got into the series so much we bought a series of paper back books that gave brief summaries of each episode in Tom Baker's run.

Aside from the first one or two episodes from the run of the guy who replaced Baker I haven't watched any other Dr. Who ever.

No, wait. I vaguely recall seeing one episode, YESS!!! I remember now, even as I'm writing it. I remember seeing the last one or two episodes of the good Doctor that preceded Baker's run. In my mind's eye I recall Baker's first appearance. I think the new Doctor had gone in and out out of a closet or a door "trying on" different new bodies (with different actors coming out for cameos) before Baker emerged, tossing that ridiculously long scarf (which we all love, admit it) over his shoulder. Or did he grab it a few seconds later? Whichever.

WOW, I hadn't thought of that in years. Good memories, even if I was just knee high to a cricket at the time.

I don't have cable, or a decent TV, since I'm don't watch much TV. If I did I'd almost certainly be watching the new season because Dr. Who has changed a lot, clearly.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I'd appreciate a spoiler tag just based on the thirdd paragraph:
Gizmo1990 said:
I have found Amy and Rory to be very inoying and if they die again and it sticks then I will happly watch that episode over and over again.
Anyway, I just started watching Dr. Who last week (Tennant onward, Just saw the first episode of Christopher) so I'm gonna say I DO like it. I just started season 5 (S5E9, just because I have it own pause behind me) and it's fun so far. Smith sure isn't as good as Tennant but he's still pretty fun.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
My issue is that Moffat can't bloody realise when it's time to bring in some new companions. No offense to Rory and Amy's actors, but..how many times have they "Left and come back" now? I think we need to bring in a new companion and give Rory and Amy's characters a final farewell.
Also, yes, i do realise RTD sort of did this as well but...hey at-least he gave us some new companions and didn't wishy washy them being unable to leave. If a companion left, they left, but they still sometimes showed up.

That is one of my biggest complaints really and everyone else already touched on the other issues. But, it just seems...i dunno, like somethings missing now from the series. I don't know what it is but i just feel like something important isn't there anymore and it is effecting my enjoyment a bit.
But hey, it's still arguably the best thing on TV and i don't think Matt Smith is a bad doctor, but fact remains we need some new characters and writers to try to bring it back up to it's former glory.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
No. All the assistants have been annoying and river song made me realize it's a kids show and I'm an adult so I no longer watch it.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
I love Doctor Who. I think Smith is good as the Doctor. And I thought Asylum of the Daleks was a great episode.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
No. I've only ever watched half of one episode.
It didn't catch my interest or provide enough intrigue to bother checking back.

As such it joins the MANY shows that I haven't found the time to give fair chance.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Lear said:
Do I still like Doctor Who?

Is the pope Catholic?

Does a wild bear shit in the woods?

Did London host the 2012 Summer Olympics?

Is this post getting clear enough to everyone?
Lears, you're really just not making sense. What do any of those things have to do with Doctor Who?

moopig66

Feb 1, 2011
I just discovered Dr Who myself about two weeks ago... marathoned it all fast enough to watch the season opener... i was hoping that the Ponds would go away this season, three seasons is a lot of pond...

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Dangit2019 said:
Lear said:
Do I still like Doctor Who?

Is the pope Catholic?

Does a wild bear shit in the woods?

Did London host the 2012 Summer Olympics?

Is this post getting clear enough to everyone?
Lears, you're really just not making sense. What do any of those things have to do with Doctor Who?
Absolutley nothing! It was supposed to mean that I still like Doctor Who, since the Pope is in fact Catholic, etc.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I do... but I haven't watched the show in a while, so I guess I have nothing else to say...