Poll: Do you still pre-order games?

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Only if im really keen to get a game, something like a new elder scrolls game or whatever. Nowadays I usually just wait till christmas and buy enough games to keep me happy for a year from all the sales on digital stores for the price of a few full price games.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Very, very rarely do I preorder, I've only been let down by one thing I've preordered though, so that's not too bad odds. Most of the time I wait about 6 months or so before I get a game; it comes down in price, and I get to see if it's any good before I decide to put money down on it, win, win.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
I pre-order the niche japanese titles that I know will be hard to find in my area if I don't, especially for the vita, but as far as the giant AAA titles that are guaranteed to be everywhere? Yeah, no, don't see any motivation to do so. Pre-order culture for giant budget games is how crap like misleading trailers and Alien: Colonial Marines happens.

smokingplane

Dec 26, 2011
I continue to pre-order, but I haven't been burned yet.
Only preordered 4 things up till now, I ussually wait for post release reviews before picking up a game.
I don't have a problem with preordering, but I'll never preorder something from an indie developer unless there is a decent proof of a working base game (and then your really more talking about early acces), and some, or rather most AAA developers I just wouldn't trust at all to deliver on promises made about their games before launch.

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
It has to be something really special for me to preorder a game.

The only game I preordered in the last 2 or 3 years was Binding of Isaac Rebirth.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
No. Not even for games that I know I'm almost certainly going to play such as Dragon Age Inquisition or Witcher 3. The last game I preordered was Aliens Colonial Marines.

I refuse to preorder for 2 reasons.
1) I don't want to risk buying a game that sucks. I'll wait and read the professional reviews, the players' Steam reviews, the forum comments, etc. (This doesn't guarantee I'll enjoy a game, but it certainly improves the odds)
2) Even the good games will probably launch with some sort of bugs that need patching. I'd rather wait 1 month, 2 months, however long it takes, so that I get the best experience and enjoy the game more.

The only downside is missing the preorder content but most of that stuff is pointless anyway.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Hah! No. They'll be at the store in bulk a week from launch. There is no pressure on getting these things so I don't see the point.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
On occasion..I only preorder Blizzard and CDPR games, because that's the idea I put in my head that I want to own every Collector's Edition of every Blizzard game.

Witcher franchise is just another exception: I preordered the Collector's Edition because I am confident in CDPR that they will deliver me a good game..and I also want that statue that comes with the CE.

RagingTiger

Sep 23, 2014
Occasionally, I tend to only pre-order collectors editions for established names I know I've liked before and again only if the collectors comes with things I enjoy collecting like figurines or clothing.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Only if I have faith in the developer, and if it is part of an existing franchise from that developer. For example, I pre-ordered Dragon Age: Inquisition because I trust BioWare to make good games, and I enjoyed Dragon Age in the past, but I wouldn't pre-order Assassin's Creed: Victory because I don't trust Ubisoft as far as I could throw them, and I have grown tired of their existing formula. I don't just go around pre-ordering anything that looks interesting, I have to really look forward to the game and trust whoever is making it. I am just tired of the whole "release now, patch later" attitude that a lot of devs have right now, and there are only a few that I trust to not do that.

The next, and possibly only game that I am planning on pre-ordering this year is going to be Arkham Knight because I trust Rocksteady to make good games, and I love the Arkham series.

This system hasn't failed me yet.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
If its something I have been sold on at some level, sure.

I mean, I know this forum doesnt want to hear it, but most of the consumer world gives zero shits about pre-ordering. They dont hate pre-order bonuses, they dont hate the concept, they dont hate any of it.

For most of the consuming public, pre-orders are convenient and usually get you extra content at no additional cost. In other words, they think its just fine.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
"Never pre-ordered in the first place". Never saw the benefit of parting with my money as soon as possible. Let reviewers review and developers patch and then I'll see if I'm interested.

Apr 5, 2008
I don't know if backing Kickstarter projects (which include a digital copy of a game) count in this regard, though I have backed a handful of things in 2013 and 2014. Project Eternity is probably the one I'm most excited about and looking forward to, with a copy heading my way once it's released. I did also get Dreamfall: Chapters, Torment: Tides, Star Citizen and a couple of others.

Excluding KS projects, the only game I've preordered for many months was The Witcher 3, due out later this year. The only titles I can see myself preordering any more are Elder Scrolls, Fallout or Cyberpunk 2077. In years past I would've preordered anything with the BioWare name on it, but those times are long, long gone now. Nothing from EA, Ubi, ActiBlizz or Squeenix would get me to preorder any more. (Thief and Hitman nearly did, based purely on my love for the previous titles, but boy am I glad I didn't). Deus Ex would certainly grab my attention tho, and depending on previews/demos, might get a preorder.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
If I really want the game, I do. I probably preorder one or two games a year.

I see why people don't like it. And I agree. Those things you think are BS are BS. But I still like to preorder games that I want on occasion.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Yup.

There are certain trusted franchises that I would pre-order from in order to get the additional bonuses. Dragon Age games was one example as they would include free character DLC. Blizzard games are another as I pre-ordered SC2, Diablo3 and their expansions.

I was burned with pre-ordering Inquisition last year so that only leaves Blizzard in my good books.
I'll pre-order the protoss expansion pack for sure.

Finally, there are rare instances where I'll pre-order from steam. Sometimes they have a deal where they are selling a sequel and pre-ordering it will come with the original (or another game) that I'm also interested in...I'll gladly pre-order for a free game.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Nope. I am not that desperate for new games. Also, $60 for Dragon Age 2 is a bad decision.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I stopped after being Civ: BE. It's a great game, it didn't turn me off directly, but after getting it, having a small game then not having alot of time to play it vs the other 500 or so games on my backlog I realised that I would have been better off waiting for a sale. Other than that game I had mostly given up on preorders anyway so yeah that was the final realization and now I won't do it anymore unless it was say a niche game which I have reason to believe may be hard to get.