Poll: Do you still pre-order games?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Nintendo generally gets my money early because the prices on their products are unlikely to drop for a long time. Blizzard is getting my pre-order dollars at least once more, because I'll be ordering the CE of SC2 part 3 to complete the set. Other than that, only if I get sweet pre-order bonuses. ex. I got a hat for pre-ordering Dragon Quest IX. And if TF2 has taught me anything, there's nothing you SHOULDN'T do for a hat.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Absolutely not

*watched 1.14.2015 Nintendo Direct: Imagine the sound of a slide-whistle*

OK this is different: I've had my 3DS since Ambassador Status was something they offered and I'm overdue for an upgrade. That Monster Hunter 4 N3DSXL is super awesome looking and I'm not going to get it at all if I DON'T pre-order it.

---

When I was younger and I just started working, I did pre-order games...then I pre-ordered a few stinkers and my soul became jaded and callused. It's actually the best thing I've probably done for myself financially, as sad as that sounds. Since I stopped pre-ordering though I'm finding that a lot of the 'Worst Games Ever' are actually not that terrible. I got games like Duke Nukem Forever, Alien's: Colonial Marines, and Metroid: Other M and I found those to be much better than some of my friends who were pissed to have paid full price for them. I try to not be too smug about that kind of thing though.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Only for games that I'm guaranteed to like which is a category that consists of South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Yeah, with that one exception, I don't preorder.

Wait, does Kickstarting to the, "get the game" tier count as a preorder, because that would mean I have technically preordered like 4 games.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
babinro said:
Yup.

There are certain trusted franchises that I would pre-order from in order to get the additional bonuses. Dragon Age games was one example as they would include free character DLC. Blizzard games are another as I pre-ordered SC2, Diablo3 and their expansions.
Ouch, how long did it take you to get into Diablo 3 after launch? I got that game much later when server overload wasn't an issue but I've heard the wait times at launch were quite bad.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I've only ever bought 2 games at launch so pre-ordering games is something I've never even considered.

(Portal 2 and Final Fantasy XII for those who are curious)

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
babinro said:
Yup.

There are certain trusted franchises that I would pre-order from in order to get the additional bonuses. Dragon Age games was one example as they would include free character DLC. Blizzard games are another as I pre-ordered SC2, Diablo3 and their expansions.
Ouch, how long did it take you to get into Diablo 3 after launch? I got that game much later when server overload wasn't an issue but I've heard the wait times at launch were quite bad.
I just followed my normal 'online' game launch routine and had a positive experience.

That is to say that I didn't even try to login until day 2. From there I remember getting a sign in error...trying an hour later and things running smooth from then on. The forums had tons of angry people throughout the week but I must have been one of the luckier ones.

dibdab

Aug 23, 2013
I still pre-order Nintendo games(Majora's Mask 3DS most recently), but everyone else has lost my trust to release decent games at launch or decent games at all.

Except maybe Blizzard sure the launches are bad, but eventually they sort it out even it takes a year or so...looking at you Diablo 3.

Next game i'll pre-order is MH4U never played a bad Monster Hunter game and 4 has great reviews so 4 ultimate can only be even better.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I'll pre-order when I can get a substantial benefit for doing so, not a skin or weapon hacked from the game but a significant saving on the launch price. This is something I can comfortably do since I've given up reading reviews for AAA games entirely. The best you can reasonably hope for is a fluff piece which is really of no value to any kind of purchasing decision.

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
I preorder occasionaly, the last one was GTA5.

I also got Destiny on day 1 but only 'cus my mate draged me to the midnight launch and I was like 'fuck it, I'm here now.' I honestly knew nothing about the game lol

Sellersnick

Jan 18, 2015
I only pre order games that have me particularly hyped, like right now I'm thinking I'll preorder mortal kombat X for Xbox one cause it looks awesome and the goro pre order looks cool, last game I preordered though was pokemon y so it's been awhile

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
The last game I pre-ordered was Duke Nukem Forever... So I will NEVER pre-order another game. Lesson learned.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
... Not anymore. Not after... *cradles his face* Oh, god.

I loved Dragon Age: Origins to bits. Its expansion, too. So when they announced the sequel, I was... Exstatic.

Not wanting to revamp discussions about the merits of the game. Let's just say that it's not a game I would have paid full price for, having had the opportunity to know about it. Instead, I preordered it. Then I played the demo... And then the full game. *sigh* Such a let down.

Edit: Then again... Does a Kickstarter count as a preorder?

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Yeah, I still pre-order when it's something I'm highly anticipating. Granted, I mostly play jrpgs, so by the time pre-orders come around locally, the game is already out and judged, so I'm not really taking any risk by pre-ordering. Probably the only time I've pre-ordered something that wasn't already out in recent memory was the Pokemon XY, which had a uniform release worldwide, but I've never been disappointed by a core pokemon game, so there's that.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I tend to only pre-order titles that I'm confident I will buy at launch and I just want to be able to get it without hassle.

I also tend to wait a week or even a month before a game is released to pre-order a game(because you can do that) to prevent me from pre-ordering a game that will either change it's release date or be delayed indefinitely.

I really don't care much for pre-order bonuses or little trinkets I get for being a "devoted fan;" I just want to be able to enjoy a game that I am anticipating on day one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Most of the time since while I know I will LOVED that game for sure (Pokemon X and Borderlands: The PreSequel) but having the time to played it is a different matter. Fantasy Life should have NEVEr been release a week before Super Smash Brother Brawl 3DS.

Ok sure I had made some progress in it at the moment but in hindsight I would had been content if I had waited some time later to played it. If I did it would had cost less when compared to when it was first released.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The last game I pre-ordered was Legend of Grimrock 2. I loved the first one so much, that even if the sequel sucked, I didn't mind floating my money towards the devs because I paid so little for a game I loved.

Before that, it was Borderlands 2. Played BL1 to death, so BL2 was a pretty safe bet. Also, it was worth it because of the extra perks too.

Other than that, I think the last game before that was Majora's Mask, and I was quite let down when I finished it. I've revised me opinion since, but it goes to show I really only pre-order if it's a sequel to a "sure thing." I'm buying it anyway, so why not?

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
The only reason I ever pre-ordered games was if I was afraid they'd sell out on launch day. That doesn't seem to happen anymore, and almost everything is available digitally anyway so there's no point.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Currently I have Grim Fandango Remastered, Torment (kickstarter preorder thing), and Gat Out of Hell preordered. I have absolute confidence in the first two titles, and Gat was only 5 bucks so what the hell?

In all honesty I'm pretty terrible with money, though.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
I used to preorder a lot of games "back in the day", but thats when I worked at a game retailer, and got a significant staff discount, and back then I was a sucker for a special edition (read: idiot). Sure, I'll pay an extra ten quid for a big plastic batarang and an art book, why not?

Since the redundancy though, and the game industry as a whole eating itself alive, theres very little thats come out in the past year or two that I've been so invested in that I wanted it day one. If I do preorder a game, I'll do it on Amazon, a few days before release, and then only if its got extra content that I think is worth having. I'll likely preorder Arkham Knight, because Rock Steady have done good extra content in the past, but I'm on the fence about Witcher 3. There's nothing else I'm even vaguely interested in the rest of the year...