Poll: Do you support evolution?

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
Quaxar said:
BrassButtons said:
Quaxar said:
That video is a highly inaccurate portrayal of paleontologists. I didn't see those monkeys drink a single beer.
Well they're savage. Domestication of wild paleontologists only happened a few centuries ago as a result of the development of modern pubs, which allowed them to gather in bigger groups and exchange digging techniques much more efficiently. Discoveries in remains from several roughly 300 year-old digging sites indicate a general blood alcohol level of no more than a third of the current average in a European paleontology population.
Fascinating. I only study modern, domesticated paleontologists. I must admit to being fairly ignorant of their wild ancestors.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
People are really focusing on the wording of the poll far too much. OP didn't mean to imply anything by the words "believe" or "support". They're just words, and they're reasonable enough words for the context.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Quaxar said:
Well they're savage. Domestication of wild paleontologists only happened a few centuries ago as a result of the development of modern pubs, which allowed them to gather in bigger groups and exchange digging techniques much more efficiently. Discoveries in remains from several roughly 300 year-old digging sites indicate a general blood alcohol level of no more than a third of the current average in a European paleontology population.
It only just occurred to me after reading this that my uncle, an archaeologist, is CONSTANTLY talking about how we should be at the pub with his paleontology/archaeology buddies. Its true. Its their natural congregation site. Their home. I know sincerely regret declining his offer and missing out on being allowed inside the pack.

Truly they are an enigmatic and wondrous people.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
BrassButtons said:
Quaxar said:
BrassButtons said:
Quaxar said:
That video is a highly inaccurate portrayal of paleontologists. I didn't see those monkeys drink a single beer.
Fascinating. I only study modern, domesticated paleontologists. I must admit to being fairly ignorant of their wild ancestors.
They are quite a thing those wild ones, unfortunately though they are now pretty much extinct because they just couldn't keep up with the agressive brawling abilities of their more drunk competitors.
As you can see Paleopithecus was quite a bit hairier than most modern specimen of Homo excavatum, since with the advancements of digging techniques developed in pub gatherings more dirt would accumulate in their thick fur so losing hair turned out to be an advantage as it allowed them to go longer and deeper without needing a shower. And that of course meant more discoveries, which in turn secured bigger research grants for their group.
But it also meant less protection from the sun, thus beer also developed as a means of forgetting your various sunburns.

Damn, now I really want to submit a paper to Nature. But I'd probably get blacklisted for that...
BiscuitTrouser said:
Quaxar said:
It only just occurred to me after reading this that my uncle, an archaeologist, is CONSTANTLY talking about how we should be at the pub with his paleontology/archaeology buddies. Its true. Its their natural congregation site. Their home. I know sincerely regret declining his offer and missing out on being allowed inside the pack.

Truly they are an enigmatic and wondrous people.
Indeed. You could have studied them. Maybe even witnessed one of the seldom attempts of the two subspecies at cross-mating!
I hear seeing a paleontologist trying to pass an Australopithecus thighbone off as one of a 14th century French monarch to attract female archeologists is quite a sight.

Dinwatr

Jun 26, 2011
Speaking as a Homo excavatum, I approve the previous exchange. :D

ETA: And I may need to print it out to show some of my co-workers!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Dinwatr said:
Speaking as a Homo excavatum, I approve the previous exchange. :D

ETA: And I may need to print it out to show some of my co-workers!
A print-out is essentially a publication and you and your colleagues are peers. Out of my dreams and into my CV!
Would have preferred Nature but I take what I can.

BrassButtons said:
Quaxar said:
These are for you. You've earned them.

In the notification the picture was original size... I just found out chocolate chip cookies bigger the size of a small frisbee are terrifying. Possibly delicious too but still a sight and most definitely the biggest internet cookies I've ever gotten.

gezodiac

Apr 8, 2013
I cannot back religion and creationism knowing what I know, versus their supposed tree of existence where everything existed at once and moved on since. Where dinosaurs lived with people, yet they are never found in the bible. I think a monstrous predator would make itself into the bible in some shape or form.

All I need to do is look at a creationist, ask if they have a pet dog, and if they say yes forward them to the documentary and man created dog. DID YALL KNOW A POINTER IS CALLED A POINTER CUZ IT POINTS AT STUFF, and a poodle is a retriever dog..... and corgis are smaller Sheppard dogs? GOLLY GEE.

gezodiac

Apr 8, 2013
Shadowstar38 said:
gezodiac said:
Where dinosaurs lived with people...
Whaaa...just...the fuck?! Who the hell told you they believed such a thing?
Religion did not know of dinosaurs until science discovered them, thusly quite a few preachers teach that dinosaurs were herbivores and they roamed the earth with humans.

All found on google.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Phrostbit3n said:
T0ad 0f Truth said:
I'm a bit saddened that this is really a contest. The evidence is clearly in favour of evolution. I say this as a Christian.

So yes, Chalk me up as one for team science I guess.
It's sad there's not more people like us. Intelligent Evolution is what I like to call it, because it sounds badass. The thought that there's no higher power, frankly, is ridiculous and not sensible. But the same goes for thinking that Satan made fossils just to fuck with us.

I'm sorry. It's too hard not to rage while a picket-fence is in my ass. (Insinuating I'm "On the fence". Get it? No? Sorry.).
I fixed your post.

But seriously, why would there have to be a higher power? Why is the notion that there probably isn't one ridiculous? I dun geddit.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I think the title is kinda illogical. you dont "support" evolution. it exists regardless of whether you beleive in it or not. better title would be "do you believe in evolution?"

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
someonehairy-ish said:
But seriously, why would there have to be a higher power? Why is the notion that there probably isn't one ridiculous? I dun geddit.
Everything has a beginning. There has to have been a point where itself didn't exist. And sense you can't make matter out of nothing by natural means, the origin of the universe must be supernatural.

Strazdas said:
I think the title is kinda illogical. you dont "support" evolution. it exists regardless of whether you beleive in it or not. better title would be "do you believe in evolution?"
So...the title we started with before we got pages of people bitching how inaccurate it was?

This is the OP right now. This is what you people do to him.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
Strazdas said:
So...the title we started with before we got pages of people bitching how inaccurate it was?
http://letusnerd.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/dredd-trailer-1.jpg?w=640

This is the OP right now. This is what you people do to him.
maybe these people bitching mixed up religion and belief?

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
Everything has a beginning. There has to have been a point where itself didn't exist. And sense you can't make matter out of nothing by natural means, the origin of the universe must be supernatural.
This is kind of inaccurate, and regardless of if it was accurate you appear to be stating you have the answer based on a lack of evidence. Simply put that's illogical. Something unexplained like how the universe got here remains that, unexplained.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
gezodiac said:
Where dinosaurs lived with people...
Whaaa...just...the fuck?! Who the hell told you they believed such a thing?
It's one of the most desperate attempts of biblical literalists. And very absurd and confusing sometime.
But don't listen to me, listen to creation "scientist" and last of the wolfmen Ken Ham:
<youtube=3qjHtyKq3yc>
Or go directly to the Creation Museum in Kentucky to witness it for yourself:
<youtube=YyGHsMeIjGs>

Also,
Shadowstar38 said:
Vacuum energy is literally particles out of nothing.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
someonehairy-ish said:
EDIT: Matter can come from nothing.
Found this vid that discusses it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr70QJb2BUk

But even if that weren't the case, and the origin of the universe 'must' be supernatural, why assume that this supernatural cause has to be a particular god? Why not a collective of powerful beings, for example? Why assume that this god still exists? Why assume that it's aware of humans, cares about humans, that it even created the universe on purpose?

Even if you feel that there must be a supernatural origin to the universe, what causes you to leap from that to the conclusion that this same supernatural thing takes enough of an interest in life on Earth to guide evolution for a specific purpose?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Strazdas said:
Oh. My. God.
I honestly don't believe it.

*sigh* This thread's gone for 14 pages, and we're back to where we started...

EDIT:
IceForce said:
The word you're looking for is "accept". - "Do you accept evolution?"
OP still hasn't taken on board my suggestion it seems.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Just a quick question...

Is there any conflict about evolution vs creation in any other country in the world kept for the USA? (i mean in this magnitude?)

Guess there was a reason why all those religious christian minorities left europe as soon as america was discovered Oo