Poll: Do you support gay marriage?

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Random Fella said:
No, I clearly stated that I had no opinion that same sex couples should have less rights than those of opposite
Well, the labelling of their union, and the packaging of all that marriage pertains, would be a matter of equality. If you call it something else, you're saying it's something else. Which it shouldn't be, because it's the same. And besides, if you're not utilising the right, it doesn't affect you, so opposing it WILL make you look bigoted.
Don't try to make me look like a bigot by comparing me to those who justify terrorism and rape, that's clearly absurd and are also straight up accusations against me.
I was stating, if you had cared to read my original post, which you mustn't have to of responded in such a crass way.
Yes, it is absurd. I was being deliberately so. I find that showing absurdity in claims generally makes people less inclined to support them. And, I did read your original post. I read all the posts up to it, and after it, at the time of posting.
Also: My point is that if you say that a personal opinion or preference being the basis of how we treat people is not morally acceptable. By that reasoning, all religions are acceptable on a moral level, all homicidal delusions would be acceptable, and all misanthropic genocidal types would be expressing valid opinions.

We cannot simply say that because we don't like an idea that it's wrong or right. We have to prove it wrong. We can't say that gays can't get married because we'd rather it were called something else, without being able to show why it should be called something else, and what difference makes that labelling appropriate, as it not only offends gay people to call it something different, but it also has no logical reasoning behind it. If you like, we can be more specific occassionally, and call Straight Marriage, Straight Marriage, and Gay Marriage, Gay Marriage, but since they're the same legal case, they're all Marriages, just like Inter-racial Marriages and Intra-racial Marriages are all Marriages.

I just feel the term marriage should be related to same sex couples, whereas same sex couples should have a different terming for their union, I was not saying they do not deserve to have the same kind of union, of course they do, but they should have their own version of marriage, in my opinion that is.
Again, I agree entirely that they should have the same kind of union, or, on another note, that the unions of all kinds should be abolished. But I see no reason to deny them the right to call their marriage what it is: A marriage. To deny them that would be to deny them the social acceptance, which is something we should never condone, would be just generally insensitive, and has no real reason for being, barring personal discomfort with the idea that two guys or two girls have a relationship of the same name as a guy and a girl. Now me, I can be as uncomfortable as hell. But it's not a reason to do anything towards another person.

Act Rationally. Not Emotionally.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Loonyyy said:
Yes, because I was acting very emotional
No, I was just pointing out that you were reacting to my comment in a rash way, which you were, if anything you were the one who wasn't acting rationally.
You were trying to say I was attempting to give homosexuals no rights, which was complete crap, I didn't say anything of the sort, and if you did read said comment you would have seen this.

Again, I agree entirely that they should have the same kind of union, or, on another note, that the unions of all kinds should be abolished. But I see no reason to deny them the right to call their marriage what it is: A marriage. To deny them that would be to deny them the social acceptance, which is something we should never condone, would be just generally insensitive, and has no real reason for being, barring personal discomfort with the idea that two guys or two girls have a relationship of the same name as a guy and a girl. Now me, I can be as uncomfortable as hell. But it's not a reason to do anything towards another person.
As I said, the name of it is the key of it to me, marriage has always been between a man and a woman, yes it may seem to deny them social acceptance, but another term for gay marriage being social accepted is just as good in my opinion.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
micahrp said:
Argument from authority is when:

X holds that A is true. X is a legitimate expert on the subject. The consensus of experts agrees with X. Therefore, there's a presumption that A is true.
-- Wikipedia
All I did was cite my source for two logical statements and then show how to apply the logic of those statements.
I do know what the argument from Authority is. I'm using the more commonly used logical fallacy of it, the Appeal to False Authority. There's several different Appeals to Authority possible, I should have been more clear, my apologies. This is generally the definitions I subscribe to: http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#authority

And yes, using Einstein's statement about models is actually not a logical principle. He's not an authority on defining logic, and his statement is unverifiable, and, for some cases, potentially factually incorrect. It's an assumption. And that it comes from Einstein does not make it logical. If your premise is true, which I contest it isn't, it still does not make gay marriage wrong, as it has not been tested. One cannot verify the usefulness of a model without testing. And there was never any verification of the model in use now, and that model is inconsistent, and still results in gay parenting, which makes all of this rather speculative, rather than factual.

To test other models someone would have to come up with a hypothesis for a working homosexual societal model. History is the test for the model. The simple counter example to this argument is for you cite where it worked in the past. Right now we are the closest the human race has ever been to the possibility of it working, but only due to extreme scientific advancements such as cloning or research indicating that adults cells could be forced to sub-dividing into near sperm styles cells for fertilization of eggs.
We don't need a homosexual societal model. We're not proposing that. We're talking about gays having the right to marry, in which you brought up childrearing. I contest that it is not about childbirth, or childrearing, but even if it were, we have not tested any hypothesis scientifically, or even formed them.

History is not the test for the model. We did not form a hypothesis and test it, and we have no controls or comparisons. This is not how we do science. This is saying that what we have seems to work, so we'll keep it, which is an Appeal to Tradition, or Argument from Antiquity. It's not science, and it's a poor example of Post hoc reasoning. There have been many things that seemed to work. Slavery, the lack of inter-racial marriages, Newtonian physics. But they aren't accepted simply because they've traditionally worked at some point. We aren't trying to predict the behaviour of subatomic particles with Newtonian mechanics because it doesn't work. Now, whether or not the thing works or not, it's age, and any track record of success do not preclude variance. Were this the case, finding alternate treatments (By which I mean science based, not "Alternative", ie, CAM) for disease would not be done, as we already have a history of success. Science occurs by testing, retesting, and by a rigorous process of blinding and controlling. We can't say: "That seemed to work" and be done.

Now, whether homosexuals can reproduce or not is not really important to it anyway. Gays could still marry before that without any societal repurcussions, and whether they wished for children or not would be their issue, to be solved with science, or by their own choice on how to do so naturally, and not one which needs to be overcome to justify their marriage.

No where in my post did I say we stop less than ideal situations from existing, I just pointed out that they cannot be endorsed and that is what everyone here wants the government to do.

If we are going to examine specific cases, was being raised by the single parent ideal? In my case no it was not. It must not have been for you either if there were step families later. My mother has admitted it was making the best of a bad situation.
Indeed. But what I mean is that it is not valid to say that the model is one man, one woman, when it is not, one man, one woman, and it is invariably more complex, and the "Test" of history is even less interpretable. It's a terrible way to conduct a trial. Now, I'd hypothesis that if a single parent of single gender (Presumably, although they could change during their parenthood, however, I'd assume this is in the minority), is acceptable, then two parents of the same gender would likely be acceptable. There's no way to know if it wouldn't be acceptable if we don't try it out. Which, yes, could be seen as a potentially unethical thing to do, from a medical ethics point of view, but as we don't have any mechanism for harm, or even a reasonable suspicion for one, I doubt that there'd be any ethical board which would deny such an experiment (And that we're talking about experimenting to decide something when others had it granted with no though is really ridiculous, and is part of what I mean by the inequality: We analyse them, but not ourselves), were it to be proposed. This is however, a speculatory comment.

No it can't be taken that way. You have left off the long continuation principle. There are whole societies that have long existed where no one was allowed to marry the person they wanted to marry. Did they even know the person they were married to? I thought the original intent of the veil was you didn't get to know whom your parents/match-maker were marrying you.
Again, none of these were tested, or proposed scientifically either, and in todays society, people ARE allowed to marry the person they want to marry. I'm talking about this. We can try to talk about other societies, were people can't marry who they want to, and I'd say that they should be allowed to marry who they like, or, that marriage is a pointless societal contract.

Those other societies are not what I'm talking about, as clearly, they are talking about a different situation. And yes, I do believe it can be taken that way, but, if we are to take it that marriage is not a benefit to society when homosexuals do it, it would be, by necessity, in abscence of any reason to doubt single gender, or multiple persons of the same gender parenting, no benefit for straight people to marry. Which would be fine, but you stated it as an argument against gay marriage, with no mention of this.

It may be that the veil was designed to prevent viewing, and whatnot. Personally, I've always found weddings as a topic kind of boring, so I've never had much of a reading background on it. Although, I've always considered arranged marriages as wrong.

I never stated they are unable to raise a child. I am pointing out these models do not meet the burden of proof that they are societally functional enough to deserve endorsement.
None of the other models met a burden of proof either. We can't choose one irrational model and ignore all other models. That would be both irrational and immoral.

And, your burden of proof seems to be that they can continue as a society. I do not see this as a requirement. If they cannot reproduce, or if they can't create more of themselves, I see as of supreme irrelevance to the act of marriage. If we define societally functional as in, don't cause harm to other members of society, I guess we'd have to know if Gay people hurt others by being in relationships (They don't), which leaves the question of, does it cause any harm to any children they raise, should we consider their parenting. Again, I think such a presumption of incompetence is insulting, but we'd have to test it. Of course, there is no mechanism for harm, and no reason to suspect it.
This is one of the key differences between science based enquiry and evidence based enquiry, and in societal and medical cases, it is almost always more prudent to utilise a science based, and not exclusively evidence based model.

The arguments are based on asking questions and showing how the proposed change would work in a closed system. The real world never conforms to ideals and no matter what the world will continue to exist, but when legislating and adjudicating our society the only rational intent is to aim for functional models.
Functional models aren't of a closed system though. That's wrong. A functional model would have to represent society as a whole. We're not talking about establishing a gay only society and seeing what happens, we're talking about allowing gays to marry in this society.
And as we have no science based reasons to expect any harm above what we already allow (Single parenting may be less than adequate, gay parenting may have a similar issue, ie, one gender of parent), there is no reason that the model would be any different than what already exists. Fundamentally, we're talking about different things, and your attempt at constructing a model are not including what I am discussing. I am discussing allowing gays to marry in our society. If that means their families can't continue, that is their problem, and one which science is close to solving, but more importantly, it's something that they have to decide is of consequence, not us.

(I think this is the second reply to your post, since I've already replied to the other one, which was much more friendly)

If we propose that we must model the effect of gay parenting, we must model the other. We cannot allow either to continue whilst we test, ethically. So, we come to an impasse if we want to test any models. We've no reason to suspect any model apart from the current situation would apply, so we'd be making an assumption and an unverified hypothesis to decide that it is, and the only way to test that hypothesis, again, would be to wait. A hypothetical objection to a situation with no known or definite issues is not worth crediting.

I know I'm harsh in my statements, I'm a poor communicator. My point is, we can't treat them differently on inherent suspicion and caution simply because we think something might be up with no cause. We have no cause. We can guess at problems, but those are the assumptions and hypothesis, and upon them[/] rests the burden of proof. Meanwhile, whether gays can create a family line, or have a family, or anything else, is still not a reason for gays not to marry. This is what I meant by the Unstated Major Premise. Gays could marry and have no children, adopted or created, and none of your arguments would apply. And Gay parenting happens without Gay Marriage, so it's already happening, models be damned. The real issue is giving paper legitimacy to something which already exists.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Random Fella said:
Loonyyy said:
Yes, because I was acting very emotional
No, I was just pointing out that you were reacting to my comment in a rash way, which you were, if anything you were the one who wasn't acting rationally.
You were trying to say I was attempting to give homosexuals no rights, which was complete crap, I didn't say anything of the sort, and if you did read said comment you would have seen this.
I'm not saying you are acting emotionally. I'm saying our actions should be decided by a rational consideration of outcomes, not personal feelings. If you personally have a bad feeling about Gay marriage, whatever. If you have a rational objection to it, then we must stop it. This is not an insult or directed at what you were saying. It is my summation of how we should behave. And yes, I did read the aforementioned comment. You still don't seem to get this: No matter how many times I read it, I did not agree with it. I did not interpret your statement as being to do with giving homosexuals no rights (Here's where I could question your reading of my comments). I disagree with labelling it as something different, as that is actually unequal. We're still saying their different, and that what they have can't be marriage as we call it. It's like putting the quotes around it as the OP did. It's offensive and insensitive.

As I said, the name of it is the key of it to me, marriage has always been between a man and a woman, yes it may seem to deny them social acceptance, but another term for gay marriage being social accepted is just as good in my opinion.
Well, traditionally, it hasn't.
-Polygamy is traditional. I'll assume you know this, so I won't source it.
-Gay marriage appears to be traditional, even in some Christian societies: http://anthropologist.livejournal.com/1314574.html -(Unfortunately, some of their source links are dead, the post is 3 years old)

And whether you feel that it provides the acceptance is not the question. The question is, does it make them feel accepted, and is it the same as acceptance?

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
No, I don't support it. But before you all jump down my throat, all 90% of you, I don't support any kind of marriage, at all. I view the word "marriage" as the religious dinosaur it is, and think it should be discarded entirely. Yes equal rights are good, but the word "marriage'? Not so much. Not bothered if religious groups define it however they wish.

Frozen Fox

Mar 23, 2012
tzimize said:
Frozen Fox said:
tzimize said:
Frozen Fox said:
Jaeke said:
Leave the term "marriage" to Man-and-Woman relationship.
Only onene you leave the term marriage to mean men owning as many women as he can afford. I it did always mean that at one time, thus it should always mean that. Right? No? Not right? the i do not care what it has "always" implied, fact is it no longer does.
I'm sure its been said but I'll say it too.

Depends.

I am NOT in favor of it in the Christian sense. With my limited knowledge I'm pretty sure the bible says marriage is between a man and a woman. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't read the bible back to back. It is utterly retarded for gay/lesbian people to expect to be married in the Christian sense if the religion itself is not for it.

I AM in favor of it in the legal sense. There is no reason gay/lesbian couples should not have the same legal rights etc as a regular couple. In this sense, go for it!

Also: I am not in the least Christian. I find religion on a whole to be pretty stupid, but I think its even more stupid to be of a religion and then cry because that religion is not how you want it to be.
I do not want anything in the Christian sense. I want to beable to see my husband in the hospital in the circumstance they only allow next of kin, the reight to adopt and a slew of other thing I can not have.

(Note: This is not directed at the person i am replying to nor is any negativity fond in this post) Even if I was to marry a woman I would not have the former right and she likely gets part custody in the latter. This is just some info on to why having a legal marriage is so important to people, it is not a seance of entitlement to the word or looking for government handouts.
In this case, I support Gay marriage, for the most part at least.

Equal rights? Of course!

But personally I draw a blurry line at adoption. Adoption is a right that has an effect on people other than yourself. As long as we/I dont know how two same-gendered parents affect a child, I am hesitantly skeptical to gay adoption.

Do I think gays cannot love children as a hetero does? Of course not. But there are factors that the parents cannot control, but that still affect the children. Adoption should be 100% for the benefit of the child, not the benefit of some person who believes he is entitled to be a parent.

I do not know how having same gendered parents affect the psyche and upbringing of a child, and as long as I dont know, I am hesitantly skeptical to gay adoption.
But why? Fantastic people are raised by single parents. Surely two dads/moms are better than one no? And the alternative, them staying in foster care because they do not get adopted? there is something you have no need to be skeptical if it is bad for a child's state of mind it tends to be rather awefull.

the idea that heterosexual couple are simply better for a child like does hold some decent credibility but a lot of the stats on it are horribly skewed as they are not on kids raised by a stable foster mother and father and a stable homosexual couple but rather Biological parents and a verity of homosexual parents. Further more everyone on earth knows it is about the furthest thing from guaranteeing they will be good parents though I assume you would agree with that. My mate is in hindsight not only a child that was emotionally abused by his biological parent but they attempted his murder. Their reason? Him being in a homosexual relationship and yes I mean with me hell it is where a bond deep enough for marriage spawned this whole event.

Now there is no way you could have know any of this, so again any harsh feeling on my part do not acttuealy exist.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Frozen Fox said:
tzimize said:
Frozen Fox said:
tzimize said:
Frozen Fox said:
Jaeke said:
Only onene you leave the term marriage to mean men owning as many women as he can afford. I it did always mean that at one time, thus it should always mean that. Right? No? Not right? the i do not care what it has "always" implied, fact is it no longer does.

Depends.

I am NOT in favor of it in the Christian sense. With my limited knowledge I'm pretty sure the bible says marriage is between a man and a woman. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't read the bible back to back. It is utterly retarded for gay/lesbian people to expect to be married in the Christian sense if the religion itself is not for it.

I AM in favor of it in the legal sense. There is no reason gay/lesbian couples should not have the same legal rights etc as a regular couple. In this sense, go for it!

Also: I am not in the least Christian. I find religion on a whole to be pretty stupid, but I think its even more stupid to be of a religion and then cry because that religion is not how you want it to be.
I do not want anything in the Christian sense. I want to beable to see my husband in the hospital in the circumstance they only allow next of kin, the reight to adopt and a slew of other thing I can not have.

(Note: This is not directed at the person i am replying to nor is any negativity fond in this post) Even if I was to marry a woman I would not have the former right and she likely gets part custody in the latter. This is just some info on to why having a legal marriage is so important to people, it is not a seance of entitlement to the word or looking for government handouts.

Equal rights? Of course!

But personally I draw a blurry line at adoption. Adoption is a right that has an effect on people other than yourself. As long as we/I dont know how two same-gendered parents affect a child, I am hesitantly skeptical to gay adoption.

Do I think gays cannot love children as a hetero does? Of course not. But there are factors that the parents cannot control, but that still affect the children. Adoption should be 100% for the benefit of the child, not the benefit of some person who believes he is entitled to be a parent.

I do not know how having same gendered parents affect the psyche and upbringing of a child, and as long as I dont know, I am hesitantly skeptical to gay adoption.
But why? Fantastic people are raised by single parents. Surely two dads/moms are better than one no? And the alternative, them staying in foster care because they do not get adopted? there is something you have no need to be skeptical if it is bad for a child's state of mind it tends to be rather awefull.

the idea that heterosexual couple are simply better for a child like does hold some decent credibility but a lot of the stats on it are horribly skewed as they are not on kids raised by a stable foster mother and father and a stable homosexual couple but rather Biological parents and a verity of homosexual parents. Further more everyone on earth knows it is about the furthest thing from guaranteeing they will be good parents though I assume you would agree with that. My mate is in hindsight not only a child that was emotionally abused by his biological parent but they attempted his murder. Their reason? Him being in a homosexual relationship and yes I mean with me hell it is where a bond deep enough for marriage spawned this whole event.

Now there is no way you could have know any of this, so again any harsh feeling on my part do not acttuealy exist.
I agree with you. However fact is that in many parts of society (maybe not officially), gays are not yet "equal" to heteros. Is this something I like, or support? Hell, no. But it is an inescapable fact nonetheless.

My problem is when gays wanting to adopt are ok with putting their children in the social and/or psychological stigma it COULD be, being the child of two gay parents. There certainly is that risk. Its not something I'm happy about, but theres a lot of stuff I'm not happy about. Facts are facts. And as long as the KIDS can suffer for it, I'll be hesitantly skeptical to gay adoption.

Frozen Fox

Mar 23, 2012
tzimize said:
Frozen Fox said:
tzimize said:
Frozen Fox said:
tzimize said:
Frozen Fox said:
Jaeke said:

Depends.

Equal rights? Of course!

I agree with you. However fact is that in many parts of society (maybe not officially), gays are not yet "equal" to heteros. Is this something I like, or support? Hell, no. But it is an inescapable fact nonetheless.

My problem is when gays wanting to adopt are ok with putting their children in the social and/or psychological stigma it COULD be, being the child of two gay parents. There certainly is that risk. Its not something I'm happy about, but theres a lot of stuff I'm not happy about. Facts are facts. And as long as the KIDS can suffer for it, I'll be hesitantly skeptical to gay adoption.
you mean like the same stigma that can come from... just about anything? Like being black, having divorced parent, having foster, being in band, drama, or a chess club or even simply having good grades? You do not impose a law because it has a chance for a poor stigma attached to it, do do that would halt all social progress for all minority groups.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
In a joking manner, I support Gay marriage as I feel gay people should be just as capable of being miserable as straight married people.

In a more series tone, I support it as I dont see why they couldnt. As I see it, Marriage is a union between two people who love each other and want to take it to a new level. So why shouldnt two gay men or women be allowed to marry?

I think the only reason this is a issue is because of Religious reasons.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Well as a christian, we're supposed to accept people. To love them regardless. But as for gay marriage in America, it should not be a religious issue. It is a government issue, and in America religion and government are separate to avoid conflicting laws that would cause problems for other religions or people that don't see things from a religious perspective. Everyone is allowed to be whatever religion they want, or even no religion, so that no one is attacked or oppressed for it. So from a religious argument, being against gay marriage has no standing. Other than that, what reason is there to oppose it? I can't really see any valid point to it. Being personally against it is out, because that's an opinion, and when we run the nation to appease opinion, we're fucked.

CaptainKarma

Dec 16, 2011
Xanthious said:
Gay marriage is NOT a 14th Amendment issue as gay people currently enjoy equal protection under the law. The laws (in most states) says that marriage is between a man and a woman. Not a man and a man, a man and a ham sandwich, or a man and a his pet goldfish. People are never going to able to marry without restriction. If you want to push the limits to universally allow same sex marriage then where do you draw the line from there? What do you say to the guy who wants to marry his pet gerbil? Marriage is one of his protected civil rights too after all and according to your argument people should be able to marry however the hell they want.
Because ham sandwiches can't enter into contracts. Because goldfish are not citizens. Do you seriously not see how fucking absurd (and, frankly, offensive to gay people) that line of argument is?

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
i don't get why religion has any say in this. The Bible is not a legal document, and the beliefs of one religion should not affect people with different beliefs.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
I don't believe in marriage as an institution, but whatever, I believe in equal rights for everything. So there should be equal rights for marriage too.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
CaptainKarma said:
Xanthious said:
Gay marriage is NOT a 14th Amendment issue as gay people currently enjoy equal protection under the law. The laws (in most states) says that marriage is between a man and a woman. Not a man and a man, a man and a ham sandwich, or a man and a his pet goldfish. People are never going to able to marry without restriction. If you want to push the limits to universally allow same sex marriage then where do you draw the line from there? What do you say to the guy who wants to marry his pet gerbil? Marriage is one of his protected civil rights too after all and according to your argument people should be able to marry however the hell they want.
Because ham sandwiches can't enter into contracts. Because goldfish are not citizens. Do you seriously not see how fucking absurd (and, frankly, offensive to gay people) that line of argument is?
My point is this. Marriage always has and always should have certain boundaries. In the US those boundaries are determined by the state as a matter of family law and the federal government says they must be applied to everyone equally. As it stands today all men and women of all races are free to marry as they so choose within the boundaries of the law.

If you unilaterally move the boundaries of marriage for one group of people you are going to have a hard time explaining why you don't want to move them for the next group of people. So if the federal government arbitrarily gives the thumbs up to same sex couples who want to marry what do they say to people who want to marry a first cousin for example? Just like a same sex couple they are two people in love and their marriage isn't harming anyone. It's simply a slippery slope to just arbitrarily move the boundaries to appease a single group and that's not being offensive that's simply being honest.

At the end of the day though nobody is stopping a gay man or woman from getting married within the boundaries of the law. They are as free as anyone else to do so. In some states those boundaries say marriage must be between a man and a woman. In others same sex marriage is allowed. If people wish to change those laws there are ways to change the laws and thus legally move the boundaries. Unfortunately for gay marriage proponents in the 33 states a vote on gay marriage has taken place the citizens of those states have voted it down by a large margin every single time.

I've never argued for or against gay marriage. I really couldn't give less of a shit who gets married to who. What I take issue with though is seeing it argued as a 14th Amendment issue. It's not. It's a states' rights issue and as such it is up to the states and their citizens to determine how it works and who can marry who. If society is warming up to the issue as proponents claim then they have the legal framework in place to change the preexisting laws. They will have a much easier time changing it though the means already in place rather than trying to change it by claiming the issue is clearly something it's not.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Gay people wanting a civil marriage I can totally understand, gay people deserve the same rights as everyone else. Civil marriage also means that they get all the same legal rights as everyone else.

However I do not understand why some gay couples are insistent on having a religious marriage. The bible is pretty clear in its opinions of homosexuality, its full of hate and intolerance towards homosexuals. Why would a gay couple want anything to do with that?

The common answer to that is "the bibles wrong", well OK lets say the bibles wrong then. If it is wrong that means the entire foundation of that religion is wrong, so why believe in something with such a broken foundation? I would never say that a gay couple wanting a religious marriage is wrong, only that I do not understand it.

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
I'm all for gay marriage and so forth- but I find myself wondering .. why does topics on homosexuality get so many responses out of any other topic? Not mad or against it, but to see 455 posts on this thread .. it's interesting overall to see with my own eyes.
I believe that political issues drive us all to write long passionate paragraphs because it is a bigger deal than video games (heresy, I know), and the world at large has the same compulsion. That we have to debate this issue whenever it comes up, and wherever, and spread our fervor. That, finally, this is a way to stay "true" to the cause we have taken up. For both sides, mind you.
Also, any subject like this invites trolling, and thoughtful responses keep the signal-to-noise ratio up.

[Ed: The Captcha was "describe Purina Cat Chow." I am not their ad writer, so I put in "Feline Emetic". Yes, I feel cleverer now.]