Aug 25, 2008

I'll just leave this here.

And for the record, i support it, being Bisexual i kind of have to xD

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
mooncalf said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
Um...
You're under an incorrect impression. Marriage is not a religious ceremony - it is secular.
Thankyou to Bara No Hime for a most gentle disabusement. Call it what you like!
No problem. ^^

Like I said, it is an unfortunately common misconception. Partly because the Catholic church worked very hard to make everyone believe said misconception. Middle Ages power struggles and all.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Freezyflea said:
ecoho said:
i think gay couples should have all the rights of a married couple but i dont think it should be call marrage. this is mostly because the term marriage is a religous word and as most if not all religons are aganst gay couples it makes little sense to use a religous word.
It isn't a religious word.Getting married isn't about faith, it is about signifying a couples union to one another, before the community. It is about stating to the world at large: "We belong to one another." It's not about how their genitals fit together, it's about commitment. How is the bond between two of the same gender so different, that it should need another classification?
no no the meaning of the word is not religous just the word itself. its one of those catch 22s as i beleave that guy couples should have every right a married couple has but it should not be call marriage since the word itself ,not its meaning, is religous.
i may not be explaning this too well though.

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
totally. I also don't think that it should be left up to the states to decide too. If black civil rights were left up to the states, do you think mississippi would ever have been integrated? people's rights shouldn't be held up by the whim of a regional majority.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I'm still surprised this is an issue. The Tea Party fundies have really turned the word liberal into a racial slur at this point and the rest of us just sit and take it. That's sad because we out number them.

You can pretty much sum up the whole argument into this comic:

History repeats and repeats and repeats...

Blunderman

Jun 24, 2009
darthzew said:
Disapproval and hatred are entirely different.

To make this a little clearer, lying is a sin, but I don't hate everyone who lies. It's just the same with homosexuality. Sure, they're doing wrong, but that doesn't mean I hate them.
Semantics.

You've decided that your personal opinions give you the right to judge someone else, literally based on nothing, other than one of the most famous systems of inherited bigotry since the dawn of recorded history.

You don't see the irony in you claiming to believe in personal faith and then in the same breath granting yourself the right to judge these people, that you don't even know, as "wrong"? Also, equating the "sin" of homosexuality with lying is utterly condescending. One is an integral part of a person's identity and sense of self and the other is a bunch of meaningless words that a person has complete control over whether to utter. Sticks and stones, you know.

Being gay is not a choice. It can't be fixed, cured or made away with, just like heterosexuality. These people are, to put it bluntly, stuck with being gay. You seriously have the nerve to tell these people that a huge part of them is downright "wrong," that it's a "sin," and that they shouldn't be doing it, without giving a single argument other than what you like to call your "personal beliefs," which amounts to exactly nothing?

In your view, they are born "wrong." They are born "sinners," and they can't do anything about it. How is this any different from racism?

Moreover, you can safely bet that your lack of acting out your bigotry is not much of a comfort. You hate them all the same, for something they have no control over, and you're not giving them a chance.

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
I still find it appalling that in this modern age we still have groups in "first world" countries who lack civil rights. In 10 years a lot of people are going to be very embarrassed while trying to explain why this was an issue in the first place.
(Paraphrased from somebody famous my wife mentioned.)

Also-
Civil Unions: because "separate but equal" always works, and I'm sure your reasons for using the federal government to prevent certain people from gaining equal standing to you has *nothing* to do with your religion while you rant about separation of church and state.

*sigh* Ok, I feel better now.

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
In favor of gay marriage. One of the things I disagree with the Church on.
Gay people are people, no better or worse than straight people, and as such deserve the same rights and opportunities. Religion shouldn't have a say in non-religious marriage.
EDIT: Should mention, don't have a problem with religious gay marriage either, but that's a whole different can of worms.

Blunderman

Jun 24, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Just saying, but having his personal faith can very well involve making a personal judgement about them. There's no irony there, it would just explain the extent he is willing to push that judgement around.
That's what it usually boils down to. It's not about religion, faith, the sanctity of marriage or anything; it's just that gays are icky.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
arc1991 said:

You know I've read just about every page of this thread and have resisted many urges to start conflict for things far more relevent than this... but this... seriously?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Jaeke said:
arc1991 said:

You know I've read just about every page of this thread and have resisted many urges to start conflict for things far more relevent than this... but this... seriously?

*Sigh* Problem?

If so, tell it in your quote. That's my opinion on the matter, if you don't like it, then tough, my opinions unfortunately aren't for everyone's liking.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
You know, when we find a sentient species that's near-human in terms of intellect we'll go through this same rigamarole with cross-species marriages.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
arc1991 said:
Jaeke said:
arc1991 said:

*Sigh* Problem?

If so, tell it in your quote. That's my opinion on the matter, if you don't like it, then tough, my opinions unfortunately aren't for everyone's liking.
Nor should they be and that's your right, besides I'm not disagreeing with you directly, just the person that typed that fact up.

Blunderman

Jun 24, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Chatney said:
That's what it usually boils down to. It's not about religion, faith, the sanctity of marriage or anything; it's just that gays are icky.
As far as I can tell that has nothing to do with what I just said. My point is that there is no irony there. And it probably does have to do with his religion.
"Gays are icky" is a personal judgement.

And your contention doesn't make sense. It's not "personal" faith if it involves making judgements about others. It can only be personal if the entirety of it applies solely to the person themselves; no one else. Hence, there is irony.

Whether this particular individual is dressing up his homophobia in faith & religion, I don't know, however I find it hard to believe that he would judge homosexuals so harshly if there wasn't some part of him that resonated with such thoughts.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Jaeke said:
Why don't you...Ya know argue? And say what you think is wrong with the statement? Whether you take it at face value or not, the point remains, claiming things as "unnatural" is flawed.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Chatney said:
I personally disapprove. I fail to see the issue here.

I'd rather not debate whether or not someone is born gay. That is not the issue on this thread. And I concede the point that one cannot control their feelings. However, I would like to point out that we can control how we act on them. Some people, for instance, are built with a natural inclination towards violence, some are genetically more likely to become alcoholics. These people are expected to control their actions despite whatever predisposition or circumstance.

To break that down even further, it is not wrong to have homosexual feelings. What is wrong, however, is to act on them. However, it is also wrong for me to approach them with judgement and reproach. That's not the way we're supposed to treat anyone, especially outside of the church. The Bible calls Christians to compassion and love, not what we've seen from televangelists like Pat Robertson.

I believe that everyone is born wrong and born a sinner. Everyone. Not just homosexuals. Nobody is born pure. Everyone sins and everyone will be judged equally in the eyes of God. This is not any form of targeted hatred. I am also a sinner and I work daily to repent.

I have gay friends. They know what I believe, they understand that I believe homosexual acts are wrong, but they accept me as I accept them. It is a relationship built on understanding and mutual respect for each others' views. I believe that they are responsible for their actions, just as I am for mine. If they ever choose to follow Christ, they'll do so willingly. They won't do it because I forced my beliefs on them, argued theology or science with them, or explained eternal damnation and hellfire. They'll do it because of compassion and love showed to them first. Christians have a terrible track record with love and compassion when it comes to homosexuals. That needs to change for everyone's sake.

Finally, I am striving to be as unargumentative as possible, but I feel it is necessary to point out that you've been not only putting words in my mouth, but you have also been making assumptions about my personal views and beliefs. You've attacked my belief system with, frankly, the same bigotry you accuse me of. I'd be happy to discuss this further with you, but I'd like to humbly ask you to turn it down a notch.

I believe that if you examined my personal beliefs, my lifestyle, and my conduct, you would not find me a bigoted, hateful, or spiteful person.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
My personal mantra is that if two sentient creatures want to get married then go ahead. Why yes I am a nerd and I am preemptively including magnificently advanced robots and/or aliens in this thesis. why do you ask?