Poll: Do you think Esports should be taken as serious as traditional sports?

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
Of course it should. It's better than 22 people running around a grass field trying to kick a ball between two poles, if y'know what I mean. I'd rather watch esport at any time. It takes just a much effort, just in a different area. Starcraft for example, your brain is gonna be a mess after a tournament, and so will your hands due to the micro- and macro-managing.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I'll go with the side that says it can't be considered a 'sport' due to the lack of physical conditioning required, it definitely can reach its own merit as a competitive game in the likes of chess and such. Whether it can garner the popularity to become as full-blown as some 'sports', well there are so many obscure sports out there anyways.

I'm also of the belief that 'real' sports need to be taken less seriously, I mean it's getting out of hand how much some of the players are getting paid. Unfortunately that will never happen, I mean countries fandom are based on some of these sports, and the same goes for other such things like the music industry...*shudders thinking about some of the artists that are making top dollar today*

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
I don't think they should be taken seriously at all. The only "e-sport" which I see as having any merit is simulation racing, and even then, only as a stepping stone to actual motorsport, or as training for people who race for a living. Anything else doesn't involve enough physical activity, or, to be brutally honest, enough cognitive activity to be regarded as a sport.
This. Sport is a celebration of physical prowess, whereas anybody can get good at games given enough time.

I don't know where that puts chess, but most chess-players tend to be at the mental peak of humanity. Which can't be said for the majority of competitive gamers.

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
Verlander said:
Giuglea said:
Verlander said:
Giuglea said:
Verlander said:
No, they are much easier to cheat or to bug than normal smports, and are generally not very interesting to watch. I have to be honest, I can't see many people saying yes that aren't people who don't like normal sports
you cannot cheat in a competition..you obviously never seen an esport competition..and liking esports doesn`t mean you have to hate normal sports..as much as i love starcraft,i go out almost everyday to play basketball..

If there's a computer involved, it can be hacked and modified. End of. Anyway, my other point still stands, they just aren't an interesting spectator sport. The vast majority don't/won't watch them, which is why there's such a limited selection of sports that have exposure on television and suchlike
in pro gaming competitions players are aloud to bring only their keyboards mouses and headphones..the rest of the computer is provided by the organizer..unless they figured out how to hack a mouse to headshot for them, your point does not stand..and let me give you a good example of people watching starcraft..huskystarcraft `s channel on youtube is and professional sc commentator channel and has 150.000.000 views and growing fast..and that is only one example..machinima has even more views on othe game related shows..
Even discounting the countries that don't get youtube, that is such an insignificant number (especially when you consider re-views and curiosity views) Your argument doesn't stand. There is NO chance this will ever get taken as a serious sport, without even considering the perception of games in society. Put is this way- skateboarding and extreme sports have far more people with an invested interest, but the only exposure they get is when they ALL club together and form events like the X Games or Gravity Games. They have a television channel, but it supports all extreme sports, in which many fans have an invested interest. As for the larger sports, there is a notable difference-there is a physical attribute, that games do not require. There is a training that has uses outside of the sport itself. Don't try and throw things like chess at me either-when was the last time you watched chess on ESPN? It's not commonly considered a sport, they're considered "mind sports" and from what I'm understanding, you want games to be recognised at sports.

The games audience is too niche. Of all of the millions of people you can claim play games, very few of them are interested in watching games leagues. Sports however, have people who play, and those who don't, watching and supporting them. There is an emotional connection to real sports, that games just don't get. That, and all you need to be good at games is practice, and no exceptional amount of skill.

And dude.... everything interactive is hackable.
that is your personal opinion and i respect it..i`m not here to be a prick..but can u seriously hack mouses??do you seriously claim u can make mouses move the units for u better than u do it yourself??

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I think Traditional Sports themselves are out of control. From Riots after games, to how much the players get paid, to their slag wives releases idiotic videos about how to land a professional sportsman, its just too silly.

Personally, I hate watching sports. I like playing sports, because of the rush of competition. But I just dont feel that when watching a game. I dont even have anyone to root for.

Also, Can people stop saying "we won" after the team the support won a game. No you didnt. You sat there and yelled at people who were trying their best to ignore you, or if you watched it from a tv, couldnt hear you. You have no impact on the game at all. 'They' won, not you.

As for Esports themselves. Itll happen when and if Esports become popular enough.

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
RAKtheUndead said:
I don't think they should be taken seriously at all. The only "e-sport" which I see as having any merit is simulation racing, and even then, only as a stepping stone to actual motorsport, or as training for people who race for a living. Anything else doesn't involve enough physical activity, or, to be brutally honest, enough cognitive activity to be regarded as a sport.
This. Sport is a celebration of physical prowess, whereas anybody can get good at games given enough time.

I don't know where that puts chess, but most chess-players tend to be at the mental peak of humanity. Which can't be said for the majority of competitive gamers.
anybody given enough time can be good at any sport:|
its called training..unless they have a physical deficit..by being born better for a particular sport makes sports seem discriminative..from this point of view u can be good at a esport either your tall or short..you cant say the same for basketball..so gives all people a chance to go for it..and it also requires that you are in a good condition to play...if you take a look at pro SC players you will see that none is fat or obese..they are all in good shape..and they try to run at least an hour a day..

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
p3t3r said:
how can games be both art and sports?
isn`t ice skating an art and also a sport?that is only one example..i think you can think of more;)but i can`t really think of the competitive gaming as art..

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Yes.
I don't care for any kind of sport e- or not. But it is clear to me that "real" sport is a abitrary thing. Being good at soccer is no more usefull or no more an achievement than being good at starcraft. So why make a difference?

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
TestECull said:
No. E-sports are just people screwing about in chairs. They're boring to watch, and from what I've seen, probably rather boring to compete in too.

You also aren't going to land any hotties when you brag about besting everyone else at counter strike. But if you were to win the Monaco GP you'd have your pick of every hottie on the planet.

From both genders.
in Korea SC pro gamers get a lot of paparazzi harassment and fan harassment..and they end up marring their top models and pop icons..sounds pretty sweet to me..

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
No.

BUT, if people are going to treat Poker like a serious "sport," I don't see the treatment of "esports" as any different really.

Giuglea

Dec 2, 2010
TerranReaper said:
Why not? If gaming can progress to being an artform, why not be a sport as well?
because of haters that think that sports should only mean vulgar displays of power..(i love that album)

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
There's no reason why some games shouldn't be treated the same as traditional sports, there's just a bit of a stigma attached to gaming.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Why does everything have to be a sport now?

The only way I'd watch Esports is if like, motion control get a little better and could see people flailing around trying to get that headshot.