Poll: Do you think it's rude to text in movie theaters?

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
So I went to the theater earlier today with some friends. A row or two in front of us was someone texting on their phone through out the movie. It didn't really bother me, but my friend seemed to be very bothered by it and proceeded to argue with the person texting that it's rude to text during a movie. So I ask you, do you think it's rude?

Edit: To clarify about sound. There wasn't a noise, but the screen did seem quite bright.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
As long as it doesn't make noise, I don't care that much.
The bright screen can be a little distracting, but it isn't that big of a deal overall.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
They ask you to turn you cell phones off for a reason in most theaters. If you're too stupid or too unwilling I don't want to know you, and if you're too busy, why are you watching a movie?

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
I don't give a shit. If the movie is good then it will easily grasp my attention over somebody fidgeting, if it isn't good then I'm sleeping.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
It's better than talking on the phone, but if you're ripped out of your immersion by a bright flashing light in front of you, it becomes annoying.

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
Doesn't bother me. The sound in any cinema I've been too is so loud, the movie is all you can hear.

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
It's stupid and rude, obviously they are too air-headed to realize other people are watching the movie, If i were you, I would have gotten my mobile and reached around their head and glared it in their face.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I would definitely consider it rude. If there was a system to keep track of which phone belonged to which person and there was something to prevent theft, I certainly wouldn't be against cell phones being taken away at the entrance of the screen room.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Yup, I consider it very rude. I don't care if it's during the previews but during the movie? C'mon. There was once a guy seated in front and a bit to the left just texting excessively throughout the WHOLE movie. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if he kept the phone open the whole time but he would put it away for 5 seconds each time until he got a response effectively creating a blinking light in the bottom left part of my vision.

And frankly, what's so pressing that you need to text during the movie? Have you not sorted your life out enough so that you don't NEED to be reached for 2 hours?

Vredesbyrd67

Apr 20, 2009
Holy shit, I hate when people do that.

I have to pay $10 every time I see a movie, so I don't do it often. As soon as I get in the theater, here's these little younger-half-of high school twats texting on their phones with the screen facing straight at me.

I have trouble focusing on more than one thing at a time, so when a little white LED suddenly pops up I have trouble focusing on anything else. Even if you're in the back row, the light coming from my peripheral vision distracts the fuck out of me. You paid the same price as me, why the hell are you wasting your time inside the theater, ruining MY experience, when the text conversations you're having are (apparently) so important that they can't wait two bloody hours?

Arluza

Jan 24, 2011
Yes. the light from the screen bothers me when I'm in a movie. If I know I might get an important call or text during a show, I will sit near the back row to not bother people.

Basically, my rule for everything in life is "Don't be THAT guy."

cream

Apr 26, 2010
As long as the sound is off, and you turn the brightness down, then it's really not a big deal. I text during movies(not a whole lot mind you), but I make sure my brightness is down where it won't bother people.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
shewolf51 said:
I would definitely consider it rude. If there was a system to keep track of which phone belonged to which person and there was something to prevent theft, I certainly wouldn't be against cell phones being taken away at the entrance of the screen room.
You know what makes that infinitely sadder? He paid money to sit in a dark room and tap on a phone while annoying other people.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
It's sad that this thread exists. There's no empathy anymore. The 'Me-I-my' generation have taken over.