Poll: Do you think it's rude to text in movie theaters?

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
YES. It's so rude. Even with no sound, the light can be distracting, and there's just no way to conceal it totally (and it can often be seen out of one's periphery). And what's the point? If you absolutely need to check your phone (which is understandable), please leave the theater, or at least go the walk ramp so that people aren't distracted.

Geek_DR

Dec 14, 2010
Okay. Deep breath.

Other people have said this but why the fuck do you think every theatre has a message that says turn off your phones.

I have left movies because of assholes who text, talk, bring babies to action blockbusters with an AA14 rating. If you do it within 3 seats of me. I will call you on it.

It is literally the reason I only see 1-2 movies a year in cinemas now. I used to see 5 or more. Audiences ruined the theatre going experience for me. If theatres want to encourage greater attendance, come down on those jerks like a ton of bricks. (like they do with people who used to bring laser-pointers into theatres.)

17 people (at time of writing) who said no: FOR SHAME!

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
You can only text in a theater if there's nobody sitting behind you, and your silent,

Vorpals

Oct 13, 2008
As long as I don't hear it, it's fine with me. Since I don't know when I would be looking at anything but the movie screen, a bright screen isn't too bothersome, but it should be directed away from others.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
Theatre seats are designed that you can't really see much in front of you except the screen. Its how they were designed. Keep your eyes on the movie and your phone in the lap on silent and everyone should be fine. If you make an effort to keep your screen from the view of others, they can fuck right off if they have a problem.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
I absolutely detest when people use their phones in a movie theater. people have paid good money to enjoy a film, and these people are ruining it. you're asked to turn of your phone for a reason people!

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
As long as the phone's on silent, and you keep it down low enough (i.e. in the person's lap) that the light isn't visible and obnoxious, I don't have a problem with it. I personally don't do it- I wanna watch the movie I paid for- but I don't see the problem with someone else doing so.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
The only time its okay is if the sound is off and nobody is sitting behind you. If either of those two things fails, its rude and you should be beaten savagely with a large trout.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm bothered by most texting in general. Cellphones drive me nuts, you're hanging out, maybe playing a game with a friend and they just keep stopping for a minute to text.

After the 20th one in 15 minutes I feel like they should just go hang out with the person they're texting. I just don't understand hanging out, but talking to another person via text, why not just hang out with the person you're with.

Yes I gather there's important stuff sometimes I'm not that snobby about it but that's not what I'm referring to.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
I find it really annoying. It breaks the feeling of getting lost in the movie by reminding me that I'm in a theatre.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
If someones texting becide me and its got a light becide or makes noise well lets just say I will ask them once to turn if off if they refuse im going to yank and throw the phone under the seats.

me.vicky

Jun 23, 2010
I think it's rude to text ANYWHERE, and I think it's rude to keep your cellphone on in a movie theater, so to me this is double-rude.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Yes, it's annoying and rude. If you're hiding it really well then fine but if it's blaring in my face you might just get a tap on the shoulder.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Galliam said:
Theatre seats are designed that you can't really see much in front of you except the screen. Its how they were designed. Keep your eyes on the movie and your phone in the lap on silent and everyone should be fine. If you make an effort to keep your screen from the view of others, they can fuck right off if they have a problem.
It's still a bright light in a dark room. Kind of hard to not see it. If you absolutely need to use your phone, get out.

Cell phone maniacs are annoying everywhere, but those things should not even be allowed inside theatres. And classrooms too, while we're at it.

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
Not texting for little over an hour wont kill you. I wish some people would learn this and just shut their damn phones off.