Poll: Do you think schools should be able to punish you for things you did outside of school?

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
If you're wearing the school uniform, then yes, as you still represent your school and are giving it a bad reputation, that is the schools business. If not then no, unless it's one student causing deliberate ABH or worse, then the school has a duty to keep the rest of it's students safe.

This incident, shouldn't have had any consequence from the school, unless he was drinking underage, then they can stick their nose in.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
Only if it directly relates to some school matter, like an extracurricular function or the like. Otherwise, no. There are actual authorities for enforcement in the real world, thanks.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Depending on the situation. Not stuff like that, but due to smartasses, I mean depending on the situation as it is only ok if they are on school property, or close to it. Like, walking across the street to smoke should still get you in trouble (mostly biased there because smoking is nasty).

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
The short answer: NO
The long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-(etc)
What happens outside of school is none of the schools business. The only possible exception would be on a school-sanctioned field-trip.

molester jester

Sep 4, 2008
No as long as you are not within school grounds or wearing school uniform then they should not be able to punish you.

Svizzara

Mar 18, 2009
No. The police already have that covered. Plus, one's personal life shouldn't be controlled by school (to an extent, for example, homework is definitely a controller in my personal life right now).

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
Unless such an action would physically effect the school or someone working at the school ,then i personally beleive it`s a matter for the police/parents ,punishing a student"for failling to represent the school in a good light" is akin to punishing someone for disrepecting you

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
timmytom1 said:
Unless such an action would physically effect the school or someone working at the school ,then i personally beleive it`s a matter for the police/parents ,punishing a student"for failling to represent the school in a good light" is akin to punishing someone for disrepecting you
If a student gets into a fight outside of school while wearing a school uniform, the school is not going to give you a pat on the back. You will be suspended or at worst expelled. The same happens in many jobs that require a uniform. It has nothing to do with disrespect, take it from someone who wore a uniform from the age of 6 to the age of 17.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
MelziGurl said:
timmytom1 said:
If a student gets into a fight outside of school while wearing a school uniform, the school is not going to give you a pat on the back. You will be suspended or at worst expelled. The same happens in many jobs that require a uniform. It has nothing to do with disrespect, take it from someone who wore a uniform from the age of 6 to the age of 17.
EDIT: No, it does have to do with disrespect to some degree.
EDIT: Bah, I'm going to work...stupid edit/quote fuck up.

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
Some say that they do it anyway. My old high school used to say that from the moment we set off to school or went home, we were still under them so any misbehaving would be reported to them, even if the police were involved. I've had several problems with bullying outside of school and the school always seemed to know about it even though i only told the police.

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
I have to disagree with most of you. For example, 2 kids at my school got high and stole 3 cars, crashing one. Although the punishment was (too) mild, I was glad the school at least did something. However, if it is something small and the school gets you in trouble, that's rediculous. I picked the middle.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
If it has to do with the school, then I'd say yes, however I disagree that if you're just hanging out with friends and they think you are doing something suspicous i say no, because I know a teacher that does that.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
No, anything that happens outside of the school grounds, or areas around the school is not the school's responsibility.

jadestarboo

Aug 18, 2008
I'd have to say it depends.
My school is very keen on hunting down weekend student parties. Once word spreads online or even remotely a rumor in school about a party, they like to pull students out and interrogate them. They'd eventually get suspended. I haven't personally witnessed it yet, but I know it happens. If the administrator catches word that there was a party going down with booze, they will find out. I don't know how they do it, but it's just crazy how many people can get suspended in one second.

But, this drinking and partying thing in our school is kind of getting out of hand. Everyone is doing it, because apparently it's the "in" thing, and I have to say compared to our previous classes, we're definitely not progressing.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
No. Outside of school is taken care of outside of school. Now, if what one did/are doing/are planning to do involves the school in some way, even though one is not there... maybe. It has to be real bad for outside of school stuff to be brought into the school system.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
No, what pupils do outside of school is no buisness of the school. Unless they think it will be detrimental to their learning inside school, or if they were wearing the school uniform at the time.

mrhockey220

Apr 20, 2009
My answer is no. My school has rules about the internet and those are just ridiculous.

Our Dean is a psycologist so he purposely tries to incriminate you even if you say you have done nothing wrong. My friends have been subject to this many times and they were left saying "What the hell just happened?" Also our school will punish you if you retaliate. For example if Im getting bullied by three guys and they start beating me up and I throw a punch back, Im going to get like a few hours of detention or suspended.