Poll: do you think smoking is attractive?

odolwa

Feb 15, 2011
I saw my grandmother, over the course of many months, slowly dying from emphysema. She was wheezing every time she took a breath and was coughing up mucus. God, it was awful. DO NOT SMOKE PEOPLE!!

...Unless, of course, a family member is going to sue a tobacco company for millions.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Depends, I guess.
I'm a smoker myself, and I would lie if I didn't think certain people look just super hot while smoking.
Smoking-hot if you will.

But on the other hand is there nothing sexy about lighting the next cigarette on with the last.

I think some men look like dragons while smoking. And I love me some dragons! Not in a sexual way, but more in a mystical, imaginative way... I'll stop now.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
Dalek Caan said:
Depends how often they smoked. If it was once or twice a day I could deal with. I wouldn't find it attractive but it wouldn't be off putting.

Chain smokers would put me right off, I wouldn't be able to deal with the smell if I had to be around them for a while.
As a chain smoker, I guarantee that if you made these feelings known beforehand, you won't even know the person smokes. My girlfriend of eight months smokes herself, and didn't know how heavily I smoked until a month ago. She didn't like the smell of my brand, so I simply did not smoke that often around her.

An addiction it may be, but I seriously think "niccing" is a myth. I've never met anyone who smoked because they had too. But then, I have a very small group of friends. Can anyone give a personal example?

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I could not date a woman who smokes no matter how attractive she was or how big her breasts are. It's absolutely not acceptable.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
As a smoker myself I can tell you that 90% of the time you are going to be treated like a leper. It does not make you look cool, it makes you smell bad, it makes your teeth yellow and it kills you. It is an addiction. One I have tried to kick many times. Hopefully I can kick it before it kicks me.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
newfoundsky said:
Dalek Caan said:
Depends how often they smoked. If it was once or twice a day I could deal with. I wouldn't find it attractive but it wouldn't be off putting.

Chain smokers would put me right off, I wouldn't be able to deal with the smell if I had to be around them for a while.
As a chain smoker, I guarantee that if you made these feelings known beforehand, you won't even know the person smokes. My girlfriend of eight months smokes herself, and didn't know how heavily I smoked until a month ago. She didn't like the smell of my brand, so I simply did not smoke that often around her.

An addiction it may be, but I seriously think "niccing" is a myth. I've never met anyone who smoked because they had too. But then, I have a very small group of friends. Can anyone give a personal example?
I don't smoke, but I work with a bunch of smokers. If it's not busy they dart out for one frequently. Several of them turn into big blubbering babies if it is busy and can't get their fix. If you don't think that "niccing" (never ever heard that term before) is a thing, you have never seen my mother. SHe comes close to freaking if she can't find her smokes. I could give more direct examples from people I know but the list is long and more importantly pointless as you don't know any of them.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
TKhanman said:
I wouldn't put someone off for smoking in most cases but i wouldn't encourage it either. I'd just try to convince them to at least smoke less.
One of my best "classmate friends" in college last semester was a smoker, but it was never something that got in the way of our enjoying each other's company. I have asthma, so I let her go off and smoke when she needed to, but I never made an issue of it personally. I could never be in a cohabiting situation with someone who smoked, simply because it's anathema to my beliefs and murder on my asthma condition, but as long as my friends keep it out of my house and other living areas, I'm not going to go all self-righteous on them. I'd support them all the way in quitting smoking, but I wouldn't think of hounding them over it.

As far as being attractive...no. It's never been something that I think of as attractive or glamorous. Kind of sad, in a way, but not glamorous.

EDIT: I know this post was not directed at me, but I just had to respond to it:
Baffle said:
Maxtro said:
I could not date a woman who smokes no matter how attractive she was or how big her breasts are. It's absolutely not acceptable.
Are you seriously telling me you'd kick Lola Ferrari out of bed if she lit up? Of course you would, she's dead. Dunno why you got into bed with her in the first place tbh.
Lolo Ferrari is (was, I guess, now) gross-looking, so I'd probably have kicked her out of bed regardless of her smoking habits.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Oddly enough i do find it appealing
I have never smoked nor do i plan to

.... except for a grass straw in like, third grade

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Smoking is a turn-off in the way that morbid obesity or a huge goiter are turn-offs. I immediately stop caring about personality. Smoking sucks, smokers are self-destructive idiots.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I physically couldn't be with someone who smoked due to the smell. It is a scent that gives me uncontrollable coughing.

I also would find it difficult wondering how soon my partner who I loved dearly would die.

I don't think ill of people who smoke. I just can't stand their smell. If they light up near me, I want to get away from them.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Can't stand being around smoke, I wouldn't be able to hang out with someone who smoked, and in looking for potential girlfriends smokers are a deal breaker. Everyone I know who smokes talk about how much they hate it, but they do it anyway. Real intelligent people.

RavingSturm

May 21, 2014
you can smell/taste the tar in a persons breath and sweat,especially during sex! smoking is definitley a turn-off!

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
No, absolutely not.

For 10 years, I grew up with four packs of secondhand smoke a day courtesy of my dad and stepmom. I got bullied at school for how bad I smelled, and it was because of the stale smoke that permeated my clothes.

The icing on the hell cake is that, because of the smoke I was forced to inhale, my lungs didn't fully develop. Now I can't be around cigarette smoke without losing my ability to breathe. No matter how hard I try, I literally can't take in a breath. I have to run from the smoke or I'd pass out from a lack of air. I'm so sensitive to smoke that I can tell if someone in the car ahead of me has a lit cigarette. One time, I changed lanes to get out from behind a car that was choking me with exhaust, and then wound up behind a car with a smoker. I went so long without a breath that I had to pull off the road to recover.

Gaius Livius

Oct 30, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
Well, I smoke so it would be a little hypocritical of me.

I've cut way down recently though, now I only really smoke at weekends, usually when I'm drinking, not during the week.

Anyway, that's besides the point, I don't think it's attractive per se but I enjoy smoking, having a few drinks and talking shit with good company.
Oh God I misread that as "Taking a s*** with good company" <.<

To answer the question. No it's not attractive and really off-putting and as bad as it might sound, it becomes harder to view someone in the same light after finding out. Just knowing what it's doing to them breaks my heart...I don't like it :( .

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
I will not date a smoker. I have very few "Non-negotiable" things for relationships but that is one of them.

For one, I have asthma so I really can't be around smokers without having trouble breathing. Dying puts a downer on our relationship...

For two, smokers smell. Seriously smokers, I know you don't think you smell. I know you febreezed the shit out of your clothing after taking just one puff on a cigarette so it totally doesn't smell! It does smell.

For three, it's (obviously) really bad for you.

Smoke'm if you got'em; it's your body, you do whatever you want. It's not like you're a bad person for smoking or anything like that but there's no way in hell I'm dating a smoker.
Pretty much this.

For me it's like freedom of speech, go ahead and spew all the crap you want but don't be surprised when your employer shows you the door and says don't come back. You can smoke till the cows come home but you smell, you're wasting money, you're hurting yourself and personally, you're kind of annoying to be around.

Always leaving for a smoke or asking for a lighter/cig, your house smells worse than you do (if you smoke in it), your ceilings and curtains are probably stained yellow as well and you make me smell and cough.