Poll: Do you think Warcraft 4 should continue the plot of WOW or ignore it?

itaywex

May 19, 2011
Personally I dont like the involvment of "adventurers", and dont you think that starting a game after illidan, lich king and kaelthalas died by some nameless bunch of adventurers will be pretty lame.

I think that Warcraft 4 should:
1) let you will play the events of WOW in RTS (as Tirion, Darion, Rhonin etc...)
2) or declare that WOW is not cannon and do events in a different way.

What do you think?

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Personally, I doubt that WC4 will ever come.
But why is it so odd to continue after Arthas, Illidan&Co?

They were introduced in WC3, no one thought it was weird to continue after Lothar died in WC2.

Hell, WC4 could be a side story all together. Like some comic stories.

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
World of Warcraft should be declared non-canon and Warcraft 4 continue the story from Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne.
Pretty much the second poll-option, it's as simple as that.

And why should WoW be declared non-canon? Because it mainly features brightly-coloured Powerrangers beating up familiar faces.
Important / remarkable characters are NOT killingfodder for the players.
No thanks, we don't want that.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
I really hope WoW is considered non-canon. It butchers a lot of the lore, contradicts other bits, and overall just doesn't do justice to its past.

That said, I think they should leave WC3:FT's story as a self-contained thing. I always felt that... actually, I'm gonna put this in a spoiler.

<spoiler=Warcraft 3 Ending>I always felt that Arthas taking up the throne at the end of Frozen Throne was less of a cliffhanger and more of a melancholy conclusion to the story. It's not so much that Arthas has achieved power, it's that he's sacrificed everything and now rules as king over a wasteland with no people.

It's an ironic ending to his story, I feel expanding on it can only weaken the dramatic value of it.

I don't know how they'd do it...but I think the events of WC3 should be left alone, and the events of WoW disregarded entirely should the main series continue.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I'd like Warcraft 4. And if it ever happens, I want it to be a continuation of Warcraft 3

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I think WoW pretty much invalidates Warcraft as an RTS series because it's going to be frustrating for WC3 players who don't understand it or frustrating for WoW players who hear "Yeah what you did doesn't matter at all" Not to mention that it's about time Blizzard did a new IP.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
I hate to point this out but its canon not cannon unless of course you actually thought that WOW was a cannon in which case all hope is lost.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
Wait, Blizzard cares about continuity of their lore?

OT: Doubtful WC4 will ever see the light of day, but if it does, I'm sure it will carry over the WoW lore as best as it can.

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
I've been ticked at Blizzard for years regarding this because this exact question came up amongst friends when WoW came out and everyone was surprised as me being such a huge Warcraft fan, was not planning on playing WoW because I despise MMORPGs (time sinks).

Yes if (and it's pretty doubtful) a Warcraft 4 is released they should have to have it continue the storyline where it left off in 3 and picked up in WoW (which brings the question, they have the game backbone already from 3 if they don't feel like upgrading it... they have the story already put together in WoW, so why haven't they released a Warcraft 4... adds to the doubtful part).

I for one would not touch a Warcraft 4 if it took place in some future time, I invested in the characters of 3, I want to see how the story fully played out, and just about any WoW player I know, if I ask them about this and that character, or story... -I- seem to know more than they do "Oh that's that characters name", "I don't know I just raid/get on to socialize" blahblah, annoying.

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
I believe Blizzard themselves have stated that the Warcraft universe will now strictly be in MMOs from now on. So for those who want to follow the story, you are gonna have to do a lot of questing and raiding in the future, otherwise just buy Warhammer Codexes (better lore and story anyway) and I will see you on the tabletop!

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
it shouldn't ignore it. Blizzard can't tell the millions of players that "sorry, nothing you did really mattered." they can however, give you bonus missions so you can play through the most important battles (silithid invasion, quel danas invasion, lich king campaign, cataclysm stuff and mists of pandaren campaign. they might make it dlc.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Well if WOW is considered 'canon' I'd REALLY like to here their justification for ignoring some the obviously massive things that have happened.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
You know, the one thing I have to say... how can Blizzard butcher its own lore? Now, I'm not all that familiar with all of the stories, but I will say that with the possible exception of glaring continuity errors, it's their story to tell, and it just happens that we don't like it.

With that out of the way, I'm going to go with my obvious answer, that everything that happened happened. Now lets hear some new epic stories!

I wouldn't mind them giving the option to play through those other stories though. Like bonus unlockable missions, or like some said, downloadable content.

Malgan

Jun 23, 2009
Do you want this or that? I answered with no, since that totally made sense.

OT: WoW is a huge game, spanning over several years of new story that millions of people have played. I would suggest them to continue on from where WoW left off.

Simon Hadow

Mar 12, 2009
Well, while my vote is for letting you play the events of WoW in an RTS format, I think that it would be difficult to pull off, so though they SHOULD, they probably won't if it does come out. Maybe as short bonus content. Like if you find a certain collectable in campaign, you unlock the final battle against Illidan, or the Lich King as a bonus level. The game story advances as if the events have happened no matter what, and it would mention once in a while, but you can actually experience the events in the bonus levels in case you haven't played WoW, or just want to play them in the format of an RTS. But, if it does come out, and they don't include the events from WoW in some form, it would just create a new cannon that just doesn't seem worth it when you already have a (debateably) good one you've been working on for the past few years now.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Whether old Warcraft fans like it or not, WoW IS canon. If there is a Warcraft 4, which I imagine there will be in the next 5 or so years, it will almost certainly pick-up where WoW left off.

Well, assuming we haven't killed every single enemy in Warcraft lore before then. That actually seems plausible at the rate we're killing legendary figures right now.