Poll: Do you think Warcraft 4 should continue the plot of WOW or ignore it?

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
SecretNegative said:
The second poll option of course, they should declare WoW, and all those books, comics, fanfics etc. non-canon and make a story like they did with Warcraft 3.

Seriously, it's no joke what has happened, they've literally destroyed everything that was good about WC3, the characters? Dead, turned into Mary Sues, turned into lunatics or turned into blow-up sexdolls. The plot? Sublety and grey morality has been thrown out the window and been replaced with tentacles and Old On...I mean Old Gods. The voiceacting? Wretched. The tone of the story? Has been changed from dark and serious to cartonny and stupid.

Ok, Warcraft 3:s story wasn't amazing, it certainly had a few share of plotholes and it had alot of stupid childish shit mixed in. But the story still worked, the characters were refreshing and it was consistent all together. For an RTS game, it was really well done.

The main problem with WoW isn't the horribel characters, the moronic story, the butchering of everything that was good about WC3, no, the problem is that it can't even decide what it wants to be. It keeps throwing in angsty drama, melodramatic events that are sopposed to be taken seriously, but then it tries to fit some really weird references and base stories around them.

But, seeming how SC2 was a completle failure story-wise, I wish they just leave Warcraft where it is.

Or gives it to Bioware...
If books were declared non-canon, Warcraft would lost half of its lore. And I would rather see it dead in WoW then in hands of Bioware because IMO they can't do fantasy. Theire characters and story were good in Mass Effect but in Dragon age it just seem alien to me.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
If they do make WC4, I'm not sure how they'll continue the story in any way besides going back to the WC3 plot. It's not that Warcraft ever had an amazing story or anything, but at least it made sense. WoW continuity is way too schizophrenic in any context other than an MMO.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Well if SC2 is any indication of things they'll just retcon whatever they want and throw in some slipshod, poorly told story.

Though really, I'd love it if they kept that Arthas is now a 50 foot tall boss as canon.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
TheKasp said:
I agree. If they ever gonna make a new game, they should keep the "World" but make a completly new "Warcraft" like W3 did. All the heroes and story were established in W3. WoW was there to give them death more epic than any RTS could give, there wasn't much story to be done, thats what W3 is for. I don't know like others but I love the new world. Orcs vs Humans were fine in past but now I love how elfs are part of the Horde and Aliance has draenei and worgen. It has nothing to do with original Warcraft but people should stop living in the past. WoW had shitty or no story but it was there to make a new World of Warcraft which I think can be used to make awesome new story if they ever decide to. Just scrap all the story from W3, that is finished.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i can see having reference to things that happened in wow, but the game didnt have much of a story and it seems like kind of a dick move to make rts fans play an mmorpg in order to understand the story...but since this is blizzard we're talking about, thats probably what they'll do

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Continuing it from wow would be hard to do, unless wow played out it's storyline (stopped alltogether/got no further content concerned with the main story)

Letting you play the WoW storyline, would more or less remove character driven story-line, as all the action in the game is handled at the hands of unnamed heroess (player chars), now i quit wow mid TBC, so i cannot say, if it has chanegd, but unlike WC3, you don't have any story characters leading the battle.

Considering what happens in WoW to be one version, and create another in WC4, letting them be parralel storylines, is possible, but would probably piss off a lot of people.

They could also set the events in WC4 centuries after the events in WoW, lettign WoW play around with the story as much as they liked, and still keep the huge universe created over a decade.

They could also just used what they'd learned about RTS from WC and SC, and make a new franchice, but i doubt they will, excpecially after they merged with activision.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
I remember our dear story writer which I can't remember the name of in blizzard said, they aren't ruling out a WC4, this was again backed up by more people.

Can't seem to find the article again though.... *sigh*

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Yes, yes I do.

You see, I ain't one of those typical, vocal Warcraft fans who want their world to remain static. Worlds evolve, societies change, Azeroth is no different, and honestly I really like the way they're going with Warcraft's story; the dwarves on the brink of civil war, the Horde one big pressure cooker, Hellscream and Wrynn on the brink of annihilating each other, a blooming friendship between Baine Bloodhoof and Anduin Wrynne. It's all very interesting stuff.

Honestly, I think the world of Warcraft is in for a very interesting time. Will there be all-out war? What will happen when Varian steps down and his son takes the throne? Has Sylvanas something up her sleeve? Will the dwarves stay united? How far will the friction between Tauren and Orc go? Etc etc etc. I can't wait to see what happens.

Reynaerdinjo

Feb 5, 2010
auronvi said:
I believe Blizzard themselves have stated that the Warcraft universe will now strictly be in MMOs from now on. So for those who want to follow the story, you are gonna have to do a lot of questing and raiding in the future, otherwise just buy Warhammer Codexes (better lore and story anyway) and I will see you on the tabletop!
Do you have a source for this statement?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Yeah Blizzard is just going to ignore that whole section of history. Right after The Star Wars prequels get declared non-canon and they bring back the Original Star Trek. WoW is too big a force for Blizzard to simply ignore. They can kind of downplay it and say that is happening but not address it or kind of insert stuff retroactively into the history but they aren't going to ignore it. The amount of fan rage and whining that would happen if they did such a thing would fill their forums for year to come.

Mxrz

Jul 12, 2010
If I remember right, Blizz originally said WoW was separate from the RTS world/line. But that was back before the uber success. If there is ever a WC4, it will likely either be a reboot, or set a long, long time after 3 with mostly new characters.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Instant K4rma said:
Wait, Blizzard cares about continuity of their lore?

OT: Doubtful WC4 will ever see the light of day, but if it does, I'm sure it will carry over the WoW lore as best as it can.
Umm yea it kind of does.

Imo they should have it so that you can import your character from WoW to be a hero character that you control.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Ranorak said:
Hell, WC4 could be a side story all together. Like some comic stories.
Not just comics, but a favourite in a lot of long running fantasy series, and definitely the best course of action here.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I would like to see the horde and alliance team up to finally finish off the legion with the help of the naaru. But sadly I don't think that's ever gonna happen in wow or an oldschool Warcraft. It would be the end of the series as sargeras is the ultimate big bad. 1000 times worse than deathwing. Pretty much the source of evil.

SpartanBlackman

Apr 1, 2011
WoW has terrible lore at the moment.
Those well written WCIII villians?
LOL RAID
Arthas? DEAD.
Anuberak? A 5man boss and a boss in a filler raid.
Deathwing? More like DEADwing
There is no real lore left. They'd either have to do something to do with the burning leigon, because you can't make an entire game about the Old gods.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Verlander said:
Ranorak said:
Hell, WC4 could be a side story all together. Like some comic stories.
Not just comics, but a favourite in a lot of long running fantasy series, and definitely the best course of action here.
I wouldn't mind a WC4 made of several side stories.
Even those within WoW.

The whole fight against the Dreanei when the orcs first got corrupted.
In game sources tell us the battle for Shattrath, that took place off screen, was a big one.

But maybe because my favourite part of WC3-TFT was actually the orc side game.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
SpartanBlackman said:
WoW has terrible lore at the moment.
Those well written WCIII villians?
LOL RAID
Arthas? DEAD.
Anuberak? A 5man boss and a boss in a filler raid.
Deathwing? More like DEADwing
There is no real lore left. They'd either have to do something to do with the burning leigon, because you can't make an entire game about the Old gods.
Those villians were made up for WC3 (except deathwing)
There was no real lore left at the end of WC2 either. This didn't stop blizzard.