Poll: Do you use a 12 or 24 hour clock?

Louis.J

Jul 9, 2010
I have never seen a dial having 24 hours.

Weak joking aside, I live in Denmark and anything other than 24 hours on digital clocks would be seen as profoundly eccentric. I am sure many digital appliances does not even have other options.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
Military time, baby. It is much more convenient that a 12 hour format. It is so much easier to use and explain to someone.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
Recusant said:
try and build a 24-hour sundial if you disagree.
Every sundial is a 24-hour sundial. Every. Single. One.

It's just that sometimes stuff gets in the way: Earth, clouds, occasionally the Moon.

If you look at the sundial's shadow in the right spectrum however (one where those things are mostly transparent), or through a neutrino detector, it'll work all the time.

Alternatively, drop it in the Earth-Sun L4 or L5 point, with a synchronised rotation to the one of the Earth.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Jark212 said:
Well ,i'm in the military so i tend to use a 24 hour clock for everything, even if I have a 12 hour clock I'll just automatically convert it in my head. It gets kinda annoying when my regular friends ask me what time is is and I tell them it's 1430.
all those weird looks...
This... this very much. Especially when I am tired and a mate asks the time and I forget to switch the filter on... 'Oh, it's twenty three hundred hours.'

Luckily I live on base, so most of the people I live with and see use it too, so it's not so bad!

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I'd love to switch to a 24-hour clock, but the problem is that everyone I interact with day-to-day uses the 12-hour clock. It's annoying to watch people ticking off the simple conversion in their heads.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
If there are 24 hours in a day, why shouldn't all the clocks reflect that. I obviously use the 24-hour clock, but people thought I was making fun of them when I used it to tell people the time.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
on anything i control its 24 hours if other people control it its a crapshoot i was in the military for a long time so 24 hour was really ingrained in me and i havent made any effort to think in 12 hour format since i was discharged it still weirds me out a little and now i gently insist on using 24 hour format at work

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I use a 24 hour clock because I have insomnia which leads to odd sleep habits. Couple that and I like to keep my shades drawn shut it can be difficult to tell what time of day it is when I wake up using a 12 hour clock. Especially during the winter where 4AM and 4PM are just as dark as each other in the middle of the season.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
isnt this pole pretty much are you an american civilian , or anyone else in the world? never heard of any other country using the 12 hour clock

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
When I lived in the UK, I used a 12 hour clock exclusively - 24 hour was for spy movies. But since living in Germany I've transitioned to 24h, because it's the norm here. When a German says that there is a meeting at seven, they mean seven A.M. Wierd.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
zumbledum said:
isnt this pole pretty much are you an american civilian , or anyone else in the world? never heard of any other country using the 12 hour clock
Germany uses 24h almost exclusively.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
mjharper said:
zumbledum said:
Germany uses 24h almost exclusively.
yeah thast my point the entire world does, except America where they call it military time i believe because the military uses 24h clock to , so its literally just american civilians left.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I use 12 hour. Its just needs less math and there is almost always some context involved so that there is no confusion.

zumbledum said:
Australia uses 12 hours.
I didn't know any country used primarily 24 hour.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I use 12 hr because I was raised on it.

But if I were to be stuck in a facility 999 or Danganronpa style, having 24 hour clock would be more comforting. No doubt.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
All 7 clocks that i own are in 24h format, but when talking about time i mostly use 12h format, probably because its shorter and easier to say(not a native English speaker).

Dingobennyfred

Aug 28, 2013
24 hours. Years in a military family has driven that method into being a tradition. "Five-o-Clock?! We don't use that kind of hippie language in THIS unit!" This might sound like a joke. Sadly, it is not.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
12 hour clocks. The little red numbers on the edge of my watch do remind me about the 24 hour ones though.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I use 12 hour most of the time, simply because that's what I'm used to, but I can work with 24 hour if I need to. I like the 24 hour system, don't get me wrong; it makes much more sense than using each time twice a day. However, I've been using the 12-hour clock since I was a little kid, and I don't see enough of a practical difference to justify permanently switching over.

Also, is that 30-hour clock seriously a thing? How does it work? Do they shrink the hour such that 30 of them fit in a day, or something?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
SuperSuperSuperGuy said:
I use 12 hour most of the time, simply because that's what I'm used to, but I can work with 24 hour if I need to. I like the 24 hour system, don't get me wrong; it makes much more sense than using each time twice a day. However, I've been using the 12-hour clock since I was a little kid, and I don't see enough of a practical difference to justify permanently switching over.

Also, is that 30-hour clock seriously a thing? How does it work? Do they shrink the hour such that 30 of them fit in a day, or something?
Already discussed

DoPo said:
Zontar said:
It's more of a joke in reference to the fact that Japanese broadcasters use 24:00-29:59 instead of 0:00-6:00 between midnight and 6am. I don't know if anything else uses it though.
24:01 and forward is an unofficial standard (at least I think it's unofficial, I can't remember ISO 8601 mentioning it or anything else big) for times after midnight. 0:00 is midnight start of today and time progresses until 24:00 which is end of today or tomorrow's 0:00. These are part of ISO 8601 - 24:30 is, not often, but often enough to be semi-official notation to mean "half an hour after today". Similarly, 27:00 would be "three hours after today" or "three o'clock tomorrow". It's used to unambiguously distinguish between two times if you need to roll over a new day during the operation. So, for example, if you start a log on, say, the 10th of the month, if you were to note something happening at 27:00 it's unambiguous whether you mean 03:00 on the 10th or 03:00 on the 11th, as opposed to, you know, using 03:00.

It's just that there aren't that many situations that require the post-today notation, so it's not that widely used. It's definitely out there, though.