Poll: Do you use paid Xbox Live?

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Yup, on going pay plan.

It's not much money and I can miss it.

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
I read somewhere that 20 Million people are paying for Xbox live at any one time, if they charge £40 a year for the service, then they must be making nearly £800 million just from the subscription alone. I very much doubt that Microsoft will stop charging, ever

But, yes, I pay for the service, it costs the same amount as a new game so as long as I get the same amount of play time and entertainment I'm happy.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I always get yearly subscription for LIVE so I don't have to think about it.

When I used my 360 all the time it was WELL worth the money as I think I got a really good service.
Since then I have moved to PC gaming, but still I keep up my LIVE gold just in case I go back every known and again (like at the moment for Halo 4).

While I can see while some might have an issue, for me I have always been happy to pay for it as I feel I get my moneys worth in quality.

xptn40S

Jan 11, 2011
I hadn't had a gold-membership in a while, but because Halo 4 was coming out I decided to find and buy a cheap, 14-month membership card for something like £30.

I was a bit torn on whether or not to buy one at first though.

Mar 5, 2011
If it was free I would use it but because they have the audacity to charge you to play games that you bought I would never ever pay for it. Especially when I can all the things Live offers for free on PC and do it better then the Xbox ever could.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Sadly I do, even though I don't have the games to justify it.

The problem is the only way I know how to cancel it is by phone, and I'm just too gosh darn lazy to do so.

One day... One day I will be free.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Yeah, I pay for live. I have a lot of friends on it, and play a few online games. That doesn't mean I like using it. 60$ every year for a terrible, hard to use interface with ads plaguing every corner of it, blatant cash grabs with things like Avatar Clothes and Gamer Pictures, and the load of donkey garbage that is the community in which I'm forced to share opinions with. That's just the surface.

But yeah, the amount I play is kind of worth it, and my friends who I talk to there are worth it, too. But still, if the price were to steepen at any point, I'll be jumping off that service faster than you can say "Micro-transactions".

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, I use it. Especially for Halo: Reach/4, and Minecraft. How else am I supposed to show all the noobs that I am teh hardcore?

I've spent money on worse things. Like college textbooks. When I can rent one class's textbook for two year's worth of live membership, and when the price/use ratio for the two is so skewed it's not even funny, I decided I'm just not going to get textbooks for my two classes this semester. I'm passing them on the lectures alone, so in a couple months I just fiscally balanced out the entire four years I've played the Xbox.
Totally worth it.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Yes, the price is tiny really and I play a lot of multiplayer games.

C F said:
I've spent money on worse things. Like college textbooks. When I can rent one class's textbook for two year's worth of live membership, and when the price/use ratio for the two is so skewed it's not even funny, I decided I'm just not going to get textbooks for my two classes this semester. I'm passing them on the lectures alone, so in a couple months I just fiscally balanced out the entire four years I've played the Xbox.
Totally worth it.
Honestly, buying textbooks has got to be some huge scam. A quick Google search is most of the time going to yield countless great sources completely free. Or you could pay up to $200 for a textbook which is limited in that its only one source. Not to mention that if you really need a textbook you can generally just borrow it from a library.

Rainmaker77

Jan 10, 2012
As a PC gamer I HATE paying for Xbox Live, however I do do so when an Xbox exclusive I must own is released.

Microsoft really are taking the piss however, considering their dashboard now has tons of adverts all over it, and when your paying monthly that just grates the wrong way.

V1rax

Dec 10, 2008
I've had a constant online xbox live account since it was released on the original xbox.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Arakasi said:
I get the feeling that Xbox live is restricting a large amount of people from coming online, whereas they could merely clog the thing with ads and make it free.
Or they could clog it with ads and charge 60 dollars a year, the current model.

But seriously, if I want to play with friends, I need to pay for Live. I have like, two friends with a PS3. So yeah, I pay for Live.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I don't generally play games online, as I prefer to play coop/multiplayer with friends in the same room as me. So no, I don't pay for it and I probably wouldn't use it much even if it were free.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Trippy Turtle said:
EDIT: Whats the problem with the adds? I barely even notice them and I am never on the dashboard anyway. The odd times that I do notice them I am normally glad I did because they can be advertising a free or cheap game/DLC that I want.
The fact that they're there at all is the problem.It would be excusable if XBL was a free service or if the ads were limited to silver accounts but to pay a subscription and still have the dashboard covered in ads is a bit dickish.I mean it's not like MS aren't already making plenty of money from XBL so having subscription + ads is a bit like having your cake and eating it too.

That said they don't bother me that much but I can see why they would bother other people

OT:Yes I pay for Live.Don't have much choice if I want to use my games fully plus it's the system most of my friends are on

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I had the original Xbox for Mechassault, and I seem to recall Live being free then. I used it a bit, because that's essentially what the game was - multiplayer only.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I always just ask for a one year card for Christmas so it keeps me using it so I guess I pay for live. Really if I ever didn't get it for what ever reason I wouldn't buy it myself. I don't play any games with my friends on Xbox so it wouldn't matter really, and I could just start saving up for a better computer to play Battlefield 3 on. I would probably just switch entirely over to PS3 and PC if I decided to stop using Live.