Poll: Do You Use the Word "Gay" as an Insult?

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I use it on occasion but only with close friends who know my intention and my values. Frankly, when I use it as an expletive, it doesn't even equate with homosexuality. It's just a random word I can say. Weirdly, the F word (no, not "fuck") offends me hugely because it's still so strongly linked in my mind to homophobic insults.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
well... my guildleader in WoW(yes i play it and dont rant me about it here when its not the point) has this little word.. "gaynus" which is gay+anus=gaynus... so we are throwing gay, homo, gaynus, fuck, arse, ass, around alot.. not as a insult but more as a... i really dont know actulley... we are very wierd

Daniel Laeben-Rosen

Jun 9, 2010
Only when it's incredibly well-timed and there's an absolute call for it comically. And only ever with friends in a good-natured way.
So I use it as a pseudo-insult you might say. As do my friends.

For instance, I'm a smoker(trying to quit) and if you know any brittish slang... Well let's just say a certain 3-letter F-word get's thrown around as a double entendre.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Yeah, I use the word gay in a negative context sometimes. I don't see it as a big deal though, I see it as a completely different word to the one of homosexual variety. I know it's not the only word in the english language to have multiple meanings, so I just roll with it. It's kind of a word I grew up with so I've got into a habit of saying it every now and again.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Mostly in banter with a gay mate of mine. I do use it online however, but the way I view it, it's such a silly and childish "insult", that saying it is more self deprecating and therefore at your own expense. If you're comfortable with this ironic use of the word, and merely use it to lighten the mood at your expense, I see no problem with it. However, there are some people who need their mouths washed out with soap, the way they say it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yes I do use it as an insult.

Mostly regarding to people who are full of themselves, overly showy, overly political correct and overly fashionable.

Kanye West for example is so friggin gay he could tear the space/time continuum.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
No. I'm not inbred.
See, this is what confuses me, Why is that people who don't say it feel like they can insult every other type of person? So, if you grew up where it was said as an insult a lot and its kinda stuck in as an insult, you're instantly inbred? Fuck you, sir.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
FreelanceButler said:
In a sense...
Me and a friend started referring to each other as "fag" a while back, simply making fun of all the little Xbox LIVE kids that threw it out every five seconds. Thing is, we kind of forgot to let the joke drop...

EDIT:
I know this doesn't exactly make it more acceptable, but we don't use the term generally or in a serious, insulting context. Just as pitiful attempts to insult each other when we're not using "your mom" jokes.
Yeah this pretty much sums me and a few friends up as well.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Doubtless someone has already made this joke so I'll spoiler it for those that don't wish to have their eyes burned out by the lack of imagination
No cause that would be gay

No, not because I think it would offend gay people but because I've never understood it as an insult
Them: you're/they're/it's gay!
My usual response: What does my/they're/it's sexual preferance have to do with anything?

OR if I can't be bothered with thjat: ...And?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, I'll use it, between friends, as banter, if I want to insult someone I'll try a lot harder than that.

But really, in Britain, or at least speaking for where I went to school, 'gay' just meant 'bad, failed, weak, stupid, silly, useless' but at no point meant 'is attracted to its own gender', because we were using 'gay' before we'd even learned about sex. to put it in context, we were calling each other 'dicks' and 'cocks' before we'd learned the word 'penis'.

Dec 14, 2009
Snowalker said:
Daystar Clarion said:
No. I'm not inbred.
See, this is what confuses me, Why is that people who don't say it feel like they can insult every other type of person? So, if you grew up where it was said as an insult a lot and its kinda stuck in as an insult, you're instantly inbred? Fuck you, sir.
I'm sort of proving a point. Words can be offensive, if I had replaced 'inbred' with 'gay' then people may have seen the funny side.

daavisb

Jun 14, 2009
we use gay, ****** as some kind of insult, but more common is just to call them idiots (so those words dont become daily used).
its not that when I see some of those I throw something after them. I let them live their lives, as long they dont start to "preach" around that faggoting is good in any way.

GDLC

Feb 18, 2010
I've rarely used it, because I have never had the inclination/desire to use it if I'm going to insult somebody or something I use something else.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
Me and my mates use the term "huhuh that's pretty gay, m'kay" which is a combination of 2 great quotes from southpark.
I also say it when someone's pretending to be gay (like trolling, because trolling is pretty gay, m'kay).