Poll: Do You Use the Word "Gay" as an Insult?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Gamesradar summed it up pretty well. They were referencing "fag" but "gay" seems to work by this logic as well. Basically, when it is not used to mock someone's flamboyance, it shows how bland one's insult generator is. When someone says, "your argument has no merrit" and you respond, "Oh yeah? Well you're gay!", that pretty much translates to, "Oh yeah? Well, I can't think of anything clever to say so I'll just call you gay."

Everyone else on this forum so far seems to have the phrase, "that's so gay" covered, so I won't bother covering that.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
DarkenedWolfEye said:
See, to me 'gay' meant something along the lines of 'lame' or 'stupid' before it ever referred to homosexuals. It was an insult first; for some reason, it came to mean 'homosexual'. I'm not going to stop using it as an insult just because some idiot decided that now it means a type of sexuality for some pointless reason. I use it both ways; people are supposed to be able to infer from context how I'm using it. For example, I'm not homophobic if I say "What, fifteen year olds aren't allowed to play violent games? That's so fucking gay."
It's like saying 'retarded'. That means 'superlative form of the word stupid'. Just because there's a mental syndrome that some jerk decided was now called 'retard', I'm not going to stop using it.
You do realize gay was a sexuality and retarded was a mental disorder before they became insults, right?

ALuckyChance

Aug 5, 2010
Somewhat rarely, mostly because I find myself uncomfortable saying it, as I happen to be gay. I mean, to me, it's like saying 'that game is so gay,' which I know is not true. That video game does not have a life partner, it is not trying to flirt with me, it does not speak in a lisp, and it obviously doesn't like to kiss men, as it's a goddamn inanimate object.

[small](note that I know not every gay person is that stereotypical. Please don't hurt me!)[/small]

DarkenedWolfEye

Jan 4, 2010
sageoftruth said:
DarkenedWolfEye said:
See, to me 'gay' meant something along the lines of 'lame' or 'stupid' before it ever referred to homosexuals. It was an insult first; for some reason, it came to mean 'homosexual'. I'm not going to stop using it as an insult just because some idiot decided that now it means a type of sexuality for some pointless reason. I use it both ways; people are supposed to be able to infer from context how I'm using it. For example, I'm not homophobic if I say "What, fifteen year olds aren't allowed to play violent games? That's so fucking gay."
It's like saying 'retarded'. That means 'superlative form of the word stupid'. Just because there's a mental syndrome that some jerk decided was now called 'retard', I'm not going to stop using it.
You do realize gay was a sexuality and retarded was a mental disorder before they became insults, right?
And how can you know that for sure? Unless you study the history of etymology, specializing in modern insults, you can't know that for sure. All you present is a theory, not a fact. And I realize that I came across as presenting fact rather than theory; for that I apologize, but I've never seen any evidence that these insults referred specifically to minorities before being general insults, so I feel my theory is quite sound.
Besides, I assumed it was common knowledge that 'gay' meant 'idle enjoyment, or happy' long before it meant 'homo'. Old nursery rhymes and old stories use it to unmistakeably mean 'happy'.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
DarkenedWolfEye said:
sageoftruth said:
DarkenedWolfEye said:
And how can you know that for sure? Unless you study the history of etymology, specializing in modern insults, you can't know that for sure. All you present is a theory, not a fact. And I realize that I came across as presenting fact rather than theory; for that I apologize, but I've never seen any evidence that these insults referred specifically to minorities before being general insults, so I feel my theory is quite sound.
Besides, I assumed it was common knowledge that 'gay' meant 'idle enjoyment, or happy' long before it meant 'homo'. Old nursery rhymes and old stories use it to unmistakeably mean 'happy'.
Interesting point. I'd go do research, but I'm just about to go to bed now. I'll put that on the to-do list for tomorrow.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Rarly, I sometimes use it as a joke insult never as a real insult. Really whats so insulting about being gay?

Viedrick

Oct 12, 2009
Well, I naturally assume most of my pals are straight, so yea, I throw it out like "man your car broke down, damn that's gay." but, if I'm around one of my homosexual friends (I have 3 I know of) I dont use it. Just like the word "ni**a" I NEVER, EVER use it in front of my african american friends. Although it slips sometimes and they have never said anything cuz they know I am not a racist, but with all my white friends I'm always saying it.

Seriphina

Apr 24, 2010
I find in playing WoW i pick up all sorts of bizarre terms and insults i would never have dreamt of using before... i blame others :p

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I do not use it, although not out of some respect for the homosexual community. I just view it as a form of "low" insult... overused, unappealing, and bereft of wit. I prefer terms like "peon" and "whelp".

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Never i think its dumb to even use Gay as a insult i had a mate and he got called gay and hes like 'HOW DID YOU KNOW' at this guy funniest Insult reaction ever.

Morgue13-2

The Repeatrix
Jul 7, 2010
Jus' the way people work, we subconsciously copy each other. I'm actually gay and I still use it. It really irritates me that I do actually, though I'm not offended by it, because if you think about it the word gay being used as an insult actually makes more sense for the "happy" meaning.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Fluffles said:
Treblaine said:
...to dodge the issue that you are a cowardly homophobic bigot. Dismiss me as a troll if you will, anything that keeps up your fantasy that you can continue with your bigotry and hypocrisy.
Yes, a homophobic bigot who created this:
http://flufflesthepancake.deviantart.com/art/LGBTEMAN-183400261
is a part of this:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gay-Marriage-Rights-in-Australia/91345705515
and this:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114009421964480
I follow:
http://i-am-the-lighthouse.tumblr.com/
Who isn't only fighting for feminism but also LGBT rights as well.
I've signed many petitions and have rallied in the city. Also as I've said I'm good friends with at least 5 gay people.
On a personal level I have nothing against homosexuality and I support equality highly, as long as I don't have to hear about their bedroom exploits it's perfectly fine by me.
Read the top of one of my blog posts:
http://fluffles.bigbighuge.com/?p=715
Yep, completely bigoted.
Seriously, if you don't know me you can't go around saying I'm a hypocritical homophobic bigot.
Am I supposed to be Impressed?

I had repeatedly challenged you over your language but you refuse to defend it, you bring up tangential points of your petitions and threads you started.

Your bigotry comes from thick-headedness and hypocrisy of the extent that is far far too common today. You seem like the type of person incapable of admitting you have done wrong, you campaign against the authorities who aren't sensitive to the gay issue yet you don't moderate your own language... that many gay men on this forum have already expressed how offensive they find it.

Maybe your gay friends won't object to you as they know you will do this, claim the moral high ground and just bark them down. You like to play off the public's homophobia and you don't want to give up any ground. You don't want to reciprocate.

You're like those people who are anti-abortion yet Pro-Capital-Punishment

I GET the joke. I understand how it works and I understand it ONLY works by equating "gay" categorically with the negative. Not just noticing some aspect has literally homoerotic aspect, but just merely negative. If that isn't homophobia it just shows how incredibly illogical and prejudiced the human mind can be, you can just will-away reality. See what you want to see, do what you want to do, you don't need a reasoned argument just ANY argument to placate the doubt in your mind.

It seem what you want me to "get" is it's all right to do one bad think if you do another good thing (maybe some campaigning).

I mean have you ever attacked an Aussie politician for using a gay slur or telling a crude gay joke? if you ever even think of doing so you're a fucking hypocrite.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
I'd be lying if I didn't but it's only because others take it as an insult. I mean when others call me gay I say "so what". Oh well I guess I'm a hypocrite.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
I use it to describe something that's stupid, weak or otherwise of low quality.

''Jesus, The Way of the Master is so gay!'' or ''American Rabbit is the gayest cartoon I've ever seen.''

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
DarkenedWolfEye said:
sageoftruth said:
DarkenedWolfEye said:
Are you fucking serious. Research? I wouldn't call using a dictionary "research" as it is so incredibly easy and definitive.

"I've never seen any evidence that these insults referred specifically to minorities before being general insults,"

Seriously, dictionary. Have you ever used one? Are you really so obtuse that you won't look in a dictionary yourself and must have the links explained to you? Stop acting like a squirming lawyer, fucking around with irrelevant semantics, it's god damn obvious.

You are just in denial if you think using the term "retarded" as an insult is not insulting to people who are clinically retarded, and their family who will have to care for them for their entire lives. This is why they are constantly having to change the definition of people afflicted with sub-70 IQ, because assholes keep abusing this status to use as an insult:

-Spastic
-Mentally Retarded
-"Special"

All these originated as official terms till the school-yard bully exploited them. Now the bully never thinks they are a bully, they don't think, not in any logical deductive way. They make snap judgements and all their mental effort is placated just to re-affirm their prejudices, such a waste of the human mind. Such a drain on society.

And it takes a certain blend of idiocy and denial to dismiss the modern use of the term "gay" and only focus on the outdated "gay = happy" definition and then over to the modern bigoted term for gay as a general insult.