Poll: Do you vote?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Let me just say this right now:

THIS IS NOT A THREAD FOR DISCUSSING WHO YOU VOTE FOR OR WHY OR WHATEVER. THAT'S WHY IT'S NOT IN R&P!

Besides, I doubt any random internet user really cares who any other random internet user votes for anyway.

Moving on, do you actually vote, and how far down? Do you just make a token poll visit during your national election, or do you vote for state/local elections as well? Do you feel like you're making a difference, or do you just suck it up and fulfill your "patriotic duty?"

I voted once for the American Presidential election after I turned 18, and haven't voted since. It felt like a completely empty gesture to me. I didn't know anything about the candidates, or even what my own beliefs actually were. I just pushed a button and that was it. It didn't feel good, bad, or anything in-between.

It's not that I don't think voting matters. Really, it's BECAUSE I think voting matters that I don't do it. I don't really care to get involved in politics, and if I can't make an informed vote, then I shouldn't be voting at all. An uninformed vote is far worse in my mind.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yes...though voting is compulsory in Australia. It's also set up so as to not make it difficult for people to vote...as long as they don't vote below the line.

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Yes...though voting is compulsory in Australia. It's also set up so as to not make it difficult for people to vote...as long as they don't vote below the line.
Wow, really? That seems to kind of defeat some of the purpose of voting. Like it would taint the well with a lot of those "uninformed votes" I mentioned. Unless they have a spot of the ballot to abstain. Abstaining is an important choice when it comes to voting.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Kolby Jack said:
thaluikhain said:
Wow, really? That seems to kind of defeat some of the purpose of voting. Like it would taint the well with a lot of those "uninformed votes" I mentioned. Unless they have a spot of the ballot to abstain. Abstaining is an important choice when it comes to voting.
There's nothing to stop you from putting a blank ballot into the box if you want, but almost nobody does that, most people return a valid vote.

We also have lots of minor parties to vote for.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I feel as though the poll will likely be skewed due to the fact that those who don't vote are unlikely to vote.

Kolby Jack

Apr 29, 2011
Zontar said:
I feel as though the poll will likely be skewed due to the fact that those who don't vote are unlikely to vote.
That is why I avoided the joke-y option. Those always get the most votes, so the poll becomes worthless. But you have a point. Hopefully clicking 2 buttons is enough of a non-effort for those non-voters to make their apathy heard.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
'merican here

Nope

Our political system is a joke and a giant waste of time so why bother? If the Republicans are in office, Democrats do everything possible to stop them from doing anything. If Democrats are in office, Republicans do everything possible to stop them from doing anything. What's best for the country takes a back seat to petty political bullshit.

If I do go vote, it's exclusively for local elections (like taxes for what programs to fund and whatnot) for I feel like even though I'm one of many, my vote doesn't feel like a waste of time.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Yes, I vote. Mostly for selfish reasons though.

I've heard that in situations where you need something from the government, active voters get a higher priority.

That said, I've scratched on votes that I'm not in any way invested in.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I vote because the system may be broken but I will exercise my Constitutional right until they take it away. Both for local elections and state elections as well as national. Plus I feel that not voting makes me feel like those people don't have much of a voice because they complain but they don't participate to do something about those complaints.

Depending on the situation, some of my votes may be write ins partially as a joke and partially as a smack to the system to at least tell them this shit is a joke.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
American here. And yes I vote. In presidential, congressional and local elections.

It's just kinda a thing. Do I think it makes ANY difference? No. Call me crazy.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Never voted before, mostly because I was young, dumb, and overseas every time. I will be this year, but not in any primaries.

Unfortunately, I live in PA, so my presidential vote probably doesn't matter too much (We're going democrat whether I vote or not, but that's ok with me) and everything local or state level is complete shit.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
American: I've voted in every election since I've turned 18, both state and federal. I tend to be out of town when local runs around though, mothafucking college.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Paraphrasing George Carlin - I'll stay home on election day and do the same the exact same thing you're all doing only when I'm done masturbating, I'm going to have a little something to show for it.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
American here. And yes, I vote.

The process may be screwed up and it may not be going the way I like. But at least I'm doing my part.

My thinking is if you don't participate, you don't have the right to complain.

And I so do love to complain...

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I love the apparent paradox that is the poll - if a person wants to say they don't vote...they have to vote. Therefore, anybody who picked the "No" option is lying. The people who actually refuse to vote in elections and here are not represented and cannot be counted.

OT: Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on both my availability and also how much I can be arsed to go and vote. Sometimes, I really can't be, depending on who is in the elections. Other times, I may be arsed enough to go and vote for an underdog of some sort. The more local the election, though, the more likely I am to be invested in it.

sanamia

Jul 6, 2013
No, however I hail from a country where it is compulsory to vote. I do not live in that country anymore. It's still compulsory for me to vote.

As long as they want to force me to vote I shall not. In theory apart from fines, the worst they can do is take away my right to vote :D
Which I find hilarious.
Practically I never ever saw a fine for not voting ever.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I don't, but I probably should. I'm just so disillusioned by the whole process that I find it hard to really muster up the enthusiasm to do it. Currently a party that didn't get the majority of the vote have the majority of the influence in this country's parliament. Kinda makes it hard to feel like your vote will even matter when something like that happens (though ironically all that does is benefit the party you oppose).

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Currently living in the UK - I vote there.

Also have Canadian citizenship - the law says I've been out of the country too long, so I'm not allowed to vote. :(

Maybe it isn't the best way of affecting change (or the loudest, anyhow), but it has its place.And it really, REALLY, sucks to lose the ability.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Of course I vote. If I didn't, I couldn't complain about our political system. I need to complain damn it!